Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Monday game thread 5-1-2023- Game 2

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ive said dozens of times here. He’s indicated publicly and privately about wanting to play a stretch 5 position a la Embiid. This was a huge talking point during the initial contact negotiations
If he really wanted this, you'd see him working on ball handling pre-game rather than throwing up half court grannies.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good to see that Cam Payne got to play 17 minutes tonight......blistered the nets with 1 for 11 shots = 2 points.
:bang:

Just as bad, D. Lee playing 26 minutes > 0 for 8 = 0 points. :blush:

Three days off and then our awesome bench can 'Rally the Valley' ... :fans:
I honestly deeply resent Payne the player. Not only is he low iq PG who drives me nuts but his stupid bubble run likely played a part in passing on Halliburton.

I would take Jevon Carter right now over Shamet without the pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like Craig, Biz and Okogie but Craig should be the 3rd guy off the bench, Biz should be our 3rd string center and Okogie should be used every now and then to cool down a hot shooter.

We need a 5th starter that's so good we'd never even think about moving Craig or Okogie into that spot. And we need at least one guy off the bench that's so good many fans are clamoring to see him with the starters.

IOW, we're a long way from where we need to be.
Agree. Those guys shouldn’t be Hugh minutes guys. Craig is playable, but maybe 12-15 minutes per game. Spot on with biz and okogie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gave up too much, but he is not playing to his normal standards either.

I don’t think coaches are utilizing him correctly either.

I agree with this but Durant was only added at the trade deadline.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ive said dozens of times here. He’s indicated publicly and privately about wanting to play a stretch 5 position a la Embiid. This was a huge talking point during the initial contact negotiations
Except embiid shoots better deep, can dribble, and isn’t afraid of contact. How do we take advantage of Ayton’s ability to do none of that in developing him into embiid?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damien Lee: 25 min and ZERO points. Even Shamet was making those shots
yep, I told everyone replacing Him wasn’t going to make a difference. Warren is the only guy not getting playing time who might do something positive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d rather fail differently than fail the same way every time. It’s time to give Ross and TJ significant run.
Agree. The nuggets are getting lots of kudos for the defense tonight. They really don’t have to shut down anyone if book and kd get zero support. If Ross and Warren can just give some offense as they give it back on the other end it makes a difference. Or it could. But with Paul out this series is done. Not that he was going to dominate but every three-ish games he could be a threat which we need.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jokic not only embraces physicality but he’s got rebounding IQ. His anticipation and coordination is all time. You can really tell who loves to rebound and who doesn’t.

Ayton stops trying as soon as he's close to a double double. He rebounds like Tyson Chandler when he was here, it's all height and zero actual effort. He gets what is in his area uncontested. I'm surprised Tyson didn't tutor him because they're equally frustrating but similarly "productive".

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except embiid shoots better deep, can dribble, and isn’t afraid of contact. How do we take advantage of Ayton’s ability to do none of that in developing him into embiid?
I for one do believe he can be taught to dribble, and get better at taking contact.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. With a good GM (in other words, not Jones) and an owner who is willing to spend up to (and possibly over) the tax line (which Ishbia may be), the roster could be retooled into at least something competitive. And then replacing the coach with someone creative and (more importantly) flexible, and you can still have a reasonable shot at being a viable contender.

The Suns sold the farm. I'm not sure where they get the players and money to improve the team.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know when I became an Ayton truther but he was fantastic this game. Definitely not the problem.
I was surprised to see his numbers so pedestrian, especially the rebounds (just 8???), but I didn't closely watch the second half. He looked good to me first half, though. I was pleased with his offensive rebounding.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know when I became an Ayton truther but he was fantastic this game. Definitely not the problem.

You must be registered for see images attach
He was good defensively on Jokic, but that’s about all.

that’s not fantastic for a guy with his ability.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns sold the farm. I'm not sure where they get the players and money to improve the team.

What sucks is we finally have an owner who seems to prioritize winning more than financial profit but we're now going to be hindered by the new CBA so our GM will need to get very creative to add talent to round out the roster. Crossing that second luxury tax apron will essentially halt any plans to add talent so moves must be made to ensure we don't cross that line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I for one do believe he can be taught to dribble, and get better at taking contact.
You don’t need to be taught to dribble. You spend all offseason dribbling and doing drills. You don’t learn that during the season. You get taught that. You dedicate yourself and get better. Do you think the suns taught Booker his skills or that Booker worked at them in the offseason? Ayton isn’t ever going to do that.

And contact us about want to. Ayton is never going to enjoy, or draw, contact. In his 5 seasons he’s average between 2.3-3 FT attempts per game. That is likely never going to reach anywhere near embiid levels. If he ever hits 5/game I’d be shocked.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns' 5 free-throw attempts tonight is tied for the second-lowest total all-time in a playoff game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why the hell would he do that if that’s not in the game plan?
I dunno, if you want to do something, maybe acquiring the skill and showing you’re capable makes sense instead of just whining about it and getting delusional tattoos about being so terrific. Just a thought.