Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Monday game thread 5-1-2023- Game 2

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why the hell would he do that if that’s not in the game plan?

Booker was a Sixth man in college and was a shooter when drafted. See how his game expanded before the game plan called for it? Players often try and improve on their own in order to offer more for their team. Ayton is content cashing checks and doing what he has to in order to keep those checks coming. He made that clear when he entered the league.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Booker was a Sixth man in college and was a shooter when drafted. See how his game expanded before the game plan called for it? Players often try and improve on their own in order to offer more for their team. Ayton is content cashing checks and doing what he has to in order to keep those checks coming. He made that clear when he entered the league.

When you’re told what your role is and that there is no flexibility, then there’s not much you can do. Ayton has been explicit about his desires to the coaching staff, including wanting to be traded from the Suns. And no, he’s not “content cashing the checks.” He wants to do more and has said that several times. I’m sure there is more he can be doing more independently if he’s not doing it at the moment, but the coaching staff isn’t willing to help him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sucks is we finally have an owner who seems to prioritize winning more than financial profit but we're now going to be hindered by the new CBA so our GM will need to get very creative to add talent to round out the roster. Crossing that second luxury tax apron will essentially halt any plans to add talent so moves must be made to ensure we don't cross that line.

I wish Mat Ishbia had waited a season before making any major trades and learned the personnel before making a big splash.

It is what it is now and may take years for the Suns to recover.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you’re told what your role is and that there is no flexibility, then there’s not much you can do. Ayton has been explicit about his desires to the coaching staff, including wanting to be traded from the Suns. And no, he’s not “content cashing the checks.” He wants to do more and has said that several times. I’m sure there is more he can be doing independently, but the coaching staff isn’t willing to help him.
Go Cats!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way, I want to give credit to all the guys for coming out with more intensity and sense of urgency. They did. The Suns won 2 of the quarters and kept the Nuggets under 100. We just are not deep enough and have little margin of error with our starters.

If KD even shows up we win that game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul getting injured was the story of the game. It impacted everything.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Craig -10, Payne -16, Lee -5, Ish -6

I mean this group isnt playing great defense.
Good point. It’s why I’d rather throw out two guys right now that might at least offset some of the scoring with a few buckets of their own.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defense of Ayton is always that he’s not the problem. That’s how low the bar is at this point.

Because even when he plays well you get guys in here screaming he sucks.

Never mind our bench scored 4 points tonight yeah 4!

Never mind CP3 is hurt again. Who could of ever seen that coming

Never mind KD was god awful tonight and couldn’t buy a shot for most of the game m

Never mind 6-29 from 3

But here we are with pages of Ayton sucks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul getting injured was the story of the game. It impacted everything.

I got no sympathy for him getting hurt. He’s the biggest choke artist maybe of all time at this point

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got no sympathy for him getting hurt. He’s the biggest choke artist maybe of all time at this point

An injury is an injury. At least Chris Paul helped give the Suns a ride to the Finals. I will not forget that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We may have seen the last of CP3 in a Suns uniform. I have mixed emotions about that

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because even when he plays well you get guys in here screaming he sucks.

Never mind our bench scored 4 points tonight yeah 4!

Never mind CP3 is hurt again. Who could of ever seen that coming

Never mind KD was god awful tonight and couldn’t buy a shot for most of the game m

Never mind 6-29 from 3

But here we are with pages of Ayton sucks.

No one is saying KD was good, no one is saying the bench did their part, no one is saying anyone shot 3's well. There are people saying Ayton was good though and that's why the topic of Ayton's play is being discussed. He didn't play very well. He produced essentially nothing in the second half. He was thoroughly outplayed by Jokic. Its fine that Jokic outplays him, that's the MVP, but Ayton used to be capable of holding Jokic to his averages. He hasn't been doing that. He also hasn't been producing as well as Denver's 3rd or 4th option has offensively.

So yeah, when people say Ayton played great, that's going to get some pushback.