Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Monday game thread 5-1-2023- Game 2

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Tough game to lose but we're not going back to the drawing board everytime we lose. This team needs to learn how to play together and trust each other - nuggets have put in that time and it shows. I like what we did in the first 3 quarters, keeping it close and not falling apart in a hostile environment and dealing with bad calls but crunch time is a whole nother level.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olsen says it all:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's no coincidence that Booker has been leading in points since the acquisition of KD. Team's can't double Book as much or focus on him as much. Also, KD has been the 2nd consistent scorer on the team and also some of the best stats in the playoffs. They have been the best duo. Having said that, yes, it's still Booker's team. It always has been. The offense isn't built around KD. I often see him waive to Booker to defer. Monty said he simplified the offense since KD got here. I think it's a combination of things. Monty, offensive sets, Booker/KD having to do it all, no bench and KD deferring much. Have no idea what the solution is. There might not be one this year.

Last edited:

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
Yep, if the rest of the team goes just 6 for 23 it’s a completely different game. Have to think the role player shooting will be better at home. And KD can go nowhere but up. I’m confident suns can get both at home still.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe coming home is exactly what we need. Monty needs to focus on solidifying rotations since we don’t play until Friday so our players can get used to something. The only problem is the CP3 injury throws a wrench into that.

Not sure for his is good news but Monty said as of this morning they were not sure if CP3 was getting an MRI. So maybe it was a minor groin pull.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I realize KD was missing all game long from 3, but he's also never had to focus on defense this much in his career. He's had guys like Adams and Draymond behind him to shore up defense. With the suns in both series so far, he's had to match up with true centers and also cover a lot on switches and weakside help. This is taking him out of his offensive rhythm imo. About 90% of the time its because Ayton finds himself out of position. KD can be impressive on defense but this shouldn't be his focus, we know why KD was brought here. He's still putting up good numbers, the turnovers can be worked on but the sets have him passing off the top of the key to get others involved, we just need to use him better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns FO can pick all the talent they & the fans want but the problem is the real boss man, the coach, Monty, will not use or develop them. Monty can only coach stars who coach themselves. And you can only saturate your team with a couple of stars since stars are not role players who take limited shots.

Monty & the FO are two separate entities with two separate philosophies. When the coach is winning nobody cares how he does it.

Monty only developed Mikal, Cam J, Cam P, Booker, and Okogie here in Phoenix. That's just guys off the top of my head. The only person he hasn't developed is Ayton who everyone is willing to concede the fact he's mercurial in his temperament. So this idea Monty doesn't develop talent is a joke. He has won multiple coach of the year awards since he's been here. This is his 4th season in Phoenix. He's done an excellent job with what he has. Has he been perfect? Absolutely not. To claim he's why this team has come up short is ridiculous. He didn't shoot 6-24 from 3 last night. He didn't get us 4 bench points. He wasn't responsible for only shooting 5 free throws.

If you want bash Monty that's fine but this revisionist history is ridiculous.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Look at the 3 point shooting from last night
You must be registered for see images attach

Booker went 4 for 8 from deep while the rest of the team went 2 for 23
Check out that bench! Just unspeakably bad. KD is also looking more and more like a lemon. We gave up a ton of resources for what is supposed to be a top 5 player. He's not even close to that level right now. I'm a little surprised, because it seemed like we got the killer when he came here - now he just looks old.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The defense of Ayton is always that he’s not the problem. That’s how low the bar is at this point.

I'd give a right testicle to have a center like Wes Unseld right now. A friggin' tree that while not a big scorer, killed on the boards and was an assist machine. I got to watch him play against Jabbar at the old Capital Centre. Helluva match up.

Sorry...... am into some serious dreaming here......

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ayton's 2nd Half: 15 mins, 4 points, 2 rebounds...
With some really poor defensive work.

There was a late screen where the suns guard was rubbed by a big - Ayton was in the area, but slow to move and did nothing to interrupt the 3 point attempt that was made. The suns guard was full effort and made a little gesture and looked like he wanted to harm ayton.

He looked like he was on downers - watching the other teams still playing and even summer that aren't, other teams have adapted to the playoff intensity - especially the bigs.

It really stands out when it's not shown

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out that bench! Just unspeakably bad. KD is also looking more and more like a lemon. We gave up a ton of resources for what is supposed to be a top 5 player. He's not even close to that level right now. I'm a little surprised, because it seemed like we got the killer when he came here - now he just looks old.
Gross exageration. They Booker/Durant combo is the best it he playoffs right now. Not to mention overall KD's numbers are some of the best in the playoffs (see numbers I posted). I would agree that KD isn't playing like a top 5 player but this isn't his team. It's Booker's. Booker it option 1. We have lost a grand total of 3 games with him in the lineup.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

How many of those were designed 3s that were good looks within the offense?

I saw a lot of deep 3s, contested 3s where the shooter was fading away, turning around or sliding because the clock was running down, the offensive set failed and someone had the ball to reset and needed to get a shot off

Just choppy and sloppy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not to mention overall KD's numbers are some of the best in the playoffs (see numbers I posted).

I would agree that KD isn't playing like a top 5 player but this isn't his team. It's Booker's. Booker it option 1. We have lost a grand total of 3 games with him in the lineup.
KD is expected to be a top 3 player. He hasn't played anywhere near that. Booker is closer to top 10, and playing like top 5, but this ONLY WORKS if KD is playing like KD. The guy who is a dominant top 3 player. We haven't gotten any of that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gross exageration. They Booker/Durant combo is the best it he playoffs right now. Not to mention overall KD's numbers are some of the best in the playoffs (see numbers I posted). I would agree that KD isn't playing like a top 5 player but this isn't his team. It's Booker's. Booker it option 1. We have lost a grand total of 3 games with him in the lineup.

I thought the KD trade was made to add a star because Booker wasn't a legit 1A superstar? Funny how that narrative changed.

Sure, KD's numbers look good when added to Booker's but on their own, they aren't what was anticipated. He's not the unicorn that was going to carry this franchise to a title like so many claimed. He seemed to have lit a fire under Booker but I often believe we take Booker for granted. I'm guilty too, not calling anyone specifically but Booker has a penchant for raising his level of performance based on his surroundings and it's impressive. He's not taking a backseat to anyone.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

KD is expected to be a top 3 player. He hasn't played anywhere near that. Booker is closer to top 10, and playing like top 5, but this ONLY WORKS if KD is playing like KD. The guy who is a dominant top 3 player. We haven't gotten any of that.
Which is it? Top 3 or Top 5? Again, KD when he was that player was also THE player on those teams. Who said this was ever going to be KD's team? He was supposed to be the second star on this team to take pressure off of Book and prevent teams from keying on him. They are the best combo in the playoffs. KD isn't the problem on this team. The lack of depth is. Monty not solidifying rotations is. Ayton not showing up for stretches again is.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Durant's scoring is inflated because of his increased minutes. He ranks 14th in the playoffs with 23 points per 36 minutes. Booker is 3rd with 29.7.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant's scoring is inflated because of his increased minutes. He ranks 14th in the playoffs with 23 points per 36 minutes. Booker is 3rd with 29.7.

Per 36? What about totals? Per Game? That's why they are all there so you don't look at one in a vacuum. Look at per 100 possessions for offensive rating (ORtg). Neither Book or Durant are anywhere close to the top 10. Not going to cherry pick any of it. They together form a picture.

Aside from that, it doesn't change the fact that Booker's numbers went up the second we inserted Durant into the lineup. It doesn't change the fact that as a duo they stack up against any team in the playoffs. That's not the problem. Calling Durant a Lemon is not only a gross exaggeration but it's beyond ridiculous. KD is not playing like a number one by any stretch. I think we all agree. He is also not the #1 on this team either and we have MUCH MUCH bigger issues than KD.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe you just suggested we should trade HOFer Kevin Durant (who hasn't even played 20 games here) for a bunch of bench players? On purpose?
He was asking if there was anything we could do to get a bench - that was the only way I can see how to do it.

I am not necessarily saying it is a good idea though - it probably isn't.

I think the team is pretty much screwed for the next 3 years.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
When the trade took place I for one did not foresee conversations erupting over who our best player was - and with that provocative open ended musing I will now back slowly into the bushes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After Booker, Durant, Ayton and Paul, the Suns roster is embarrassingly weak.