Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 5-5-2023 - Game 3

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Nah, Raja Bell did a clothesline takedown on Kobe Bryant after he had been elbowing him in the face.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I remember that, too...but he also would purposefully clasp his hands behind his back the lean forward, to show the refs he wasn't using his hands or arms.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that, too...but he also would purposefully clasp his hands behind his back the lean forward, to show the refs he wasn't using his hands or arms.

It looked like a headlock to me. Oh, I guess you may be talking about Kobe?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kevin Durant is washed up? Really? He didn't have a great shooting night from the floor, but he STILL put up 39 pts by finding a different way. Producing like that even when you don't have an A game night can be the definition of great player. IMO. Yes, he isn't what he once was, but that was a clutch effort.

We should all be so washed up
Not sure who says he’s washed up but KD is clearly past his prime. He’s putting up impressive numbers because we only have two guys that can do anything right now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’ve read a lot of bad Ayton takes on this board. This is unequivocally the worst. Blaming Ayton for every single struggle this team has had is immature and short-sighted. Calling him the biggest mistake this team has ever made adds fuel to the fire. If you choose to take a helicopter view of this team, you’ll see that Ayton isn’t even a quarter of the issue; and even in the end, Ayton is still more of an asset than a liability.

He is massively struggling and deserves a great deal of criticism. But your feedback is based on pure emotion and zero logic.
We’ll have to disagree… But I’ll be here 3, 5 and maybe 7 years from now (if he actually stay in the association that long), to point out how Ayton’s career looked more like Alex Len as opposed to a MAX player…

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A bit over the top.. And he's still an important part of the team. Monty is smart enough not to go full nuclear in the middle of a playoff series as you suggest.
Not at all suggesting Monty goes “nuclear,” though I have no doubt he wishes he could.
Contrary to several on this board, I believe Monty is a great coach is will do exactly what should be done to continue to give this team the best chance at winning.
But make no mistake, once the Suns are bounced from the post season, Ayton’s lazy ass will not be seen in a Suns uniform again…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That cam payne fast break to KD for the dunk was sweet. Finally attacked the nuggets downhill a little bit last night! Having payne push the pace and Ross and Warren out there finally diversified our offense enough.

Completely insane Monty had Ross and Warren on the bench all of the first two games. Those guys are trained assassins they can rise to the occasion and get some buckets going forward for sure. Not hyping them up too much but these two are legit veteran hoopers/scorers ready to shoot and hustle and win in the playoffs.
Yup TJ was big hitting two shots down the stretch.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We’ll have to disagree… But I’ll be here 3, 5 and maybe 7 years from now (if he actually stay in the association that long), to point out how Ayton’s career looked more like Alex Len as opposed to a MAX player…
Alex Len’s best season is far worse than Ayton’s worst season. Apples and hockey pucks comparison.

It’s not even agreeing or disagreeing, it’s pointing out the ridiculousness in some of your comments and comparisons.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes we do. Landale was great for us last night but he got away with a lot of physical play that DA isn't allowed to use. I'm sure Malone will have worked the refs enough by the start of next game that the holding and redirecting we were doing on Jokic won't be allowed. Of course, the Nuggets were doing that and more to KD and Booker but Monty probably won't yell at the refs about it until he's out on his fishing boat - which will be as effective as me screaming at them from my living room couch.
Yup. Even the commentators were like, “when’s the last time a player score 45 without a single fee throw” before they intentionally fouled him at the end. The fact that KD was the only sun at the FT line was not lost on me. I am constantly amazed at the amount of body they allow on book that seems an automatic whistle on suns defenders.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Alex Len’s best season is far worse than Ayton’s worst season. Apples and hockey pucks comparison.

It’s not even agreeing or disagreeing, it’s pointing out the ridiculousness in some of your comments and comparisons.
I completely stand by all I’ve said here. It would take a miracle for Ayton to become something (a legit big man and MAX player) he’s not.
I do agree he needs help between his ears. Something is very, very wrong with the man. I don’t wish ill-will on him. But I won’t apologize for being beyond frustrated by a guy who got paid and who clearly doesn’t give a crap about heart, drive, desire, grit and doing everything possible to win. And I definitely will not lay any of the blame associated with all his massive short-comings anywhere else but on his head.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's an old timer reference, but Ayton is far more likely to turn into Joe Barry Carroll (aka "Joe Barely Cares") than Alex Len. Alex Len never had much upside and has become just about what any reasonable person should have projected. If Ayton doesn't get it together, it will be a far greater waste of talent than Alex Len.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's an old timer reference, but Ayton is far more likely to turn into Joe Barry Carroll (aka "Joe Barely Cares") than Alex Len. Alex Len never had much upside and has become just about what any reasonable person should have projected. If Ayton doesn't get it together, it will be a far greater waste of talent than Alex Len.
He’s better than JBC. I stand by my Benoit Benjamin comp. Puts up numbers but the eyes tell you they’re mostly empty calories except for the more and more rare impact game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Agree. Nothing I’ve seen physically tells me that he can’t be a 24/12 player in the right situation. At this point, he has to leave Phoenix and figure out the stuff in between the ears.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree. Nothing I’ve seen physically tells me that he can’t be a 24/12 player in the right situation. At this point, he has to leave Phoenix and figure out the stuff in between the ears.
I don’t think it’s all between the ears. I think it’s in the chest too. I don’t think he has the heart for competition. We’ve said it over and over again, there’s no dawg there. Frankly, I don’t think he even likes, much less loves, basketball. I think he was born with a freaks body and athleticism and recognized this was his path to wealth and that’s it. Does he have fun with it? Sure, sometimes, when he’s front running. But I don’t think he enjoys any of it deeply.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Deandre is too young for it to be too late. I think we all can use counseling at certain points in our lives, the same for Ayton.
Last year Mcgree showed him how to hustle. This year Landell and Biz showed him. I'm sorry but its over for Ayton in Arizona plays like he is in sand. Suns have Booker and KD all they need is someone like this. And it isn't the one in green

Raindog

Reaction score
A little bit off topic, but something that still burns me up about the Len draft was that Giannis went ten picks later. I have to wonder that if the Suns were still run by Jerry Colangelo and had the same excellent staff of scouts (Dick Percodani, etc.) as during the JC years, if we wouldn't have grabbed Giannis. He exactly fit the prospect type that we would have valued during the JC era - high upside developmental athlete who flew under the radar for various reasons. Makes you wonder.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A little bit off topic, but something that still burns me up about the Len draft was that Giannis went ten picks later. I have to wonder that if the Suns were still run by Jerry Colangelo and had the same excellent staff of scouts (Dick Percodani, etc.) as during the JC years, if we wouldn't have grabbed Giannis. He exactly fit the prospect type that we would have valued during the JC era - high upside developmental athlete who flew under the radar for various reasons. Makes you wonder.
Nobody really knew anything Giannis in 2013. It was such a bad draft (in real time) that the Bucks probably thought they could use a lottery ticket on him at #15. Imagine OKC drafting him at #13.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JC would have taken Gobert in that draft if he went the development route. He was always looking for a Center and it Gobert fit the mold. Otherwise he would have taken Nerlens Noel, who had some injury issues that caused him to slip. He was the best collegiate player the year prior and likely would have been #1 overall without health issues.

Raindog

Reaction score
JC would have taken Gobert in that draft if he went the development route. He was always looking for a Center and it Gobert fit the mold. Otherwise he would have taken Nerlens Noel, who had some injury issues that caused him to slip. He was the best collegiate player the year prior and likely would have been #1 overall without health issues.
Gobert certainly wouldn't have been a bad choice either.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
The enablers trying to justify the garbage play of this loafing cash checker would be hilarious if not sad. Indiana wanted this damaged goods and would give up a savvy hustling big man on a team friendly contract. Sabonis at 20m per sounds pretty good

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not at all suggesting Monty goes “nuclear,” though I have no doubt he wishes he could.
Contrary to several on this board, I believe Monty is a great coach is will do exactly what should be done to continue to give this team the best chance at winning.
But make no mistake, once the Suns are bounced from the post season, Ayton’s lazy ass will not be seen in a Suns uniform again…

I almost hit the like button before I got to the "but..." part, lol. Winning can change a lot of things and we just don't know how this all going to play out yet.

I try to maintain a policy of not discussing trades until we are eliminated, or talking about players in a way I wouldn't if they were sitting in my living room.

Saw someone else call DA a POS here somewhere. But he's really a human being.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I almost hit the like button before I got to the "but..." part, lol. Winning can change a lot of things and we just don't know how this all going to play out yet.

I try to maintain a policy of not discussing trades until we are eliminated, or talking about players in a way I wouldn't if they were sitting in my living room.

Saw someone else call DA a POS here somewhere. But he's really a human being.
I haven’t called him a POS. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I hope he he gets the help he needs, as something is off with the young man.
However, whether I “like” a guy or not, if you’re consistently demonstrating lazy, apathetic behavior, I will say something.
DA was a #1 overall pick. He’s now a MAX player. There are - rightly so - big expectations that come with those credentials. IMHO, he hasn’t come close to living up to those credentials and in this post season, he’s actually slid backward. Becoming less effective and less of an impact. In other words, he’s moving in the wrong direction, precisely when his brothers need him most.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose