'Playing Saturday might actually help': Mixed reaction to Jurgen Klopp's swipe at Liverpool...

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BT Sport pundits defended the channel’s scheduling after Jurgen Klopp branded Liverpool’s televised fixtures as “nearly a crime”. Liverpool have been given Saturday’s 12.30pm game, away at Brighton, in the first game of the weekend and barely 62 hours after the Champions League defeat to Atalanta at Anfield. The Premier League champions then face Ajax the following Tuesday. “You (BT), my special friends, you ask us to go at 12.30 on Saturday which is nearly a crime to be honest.....nearly a crime,” Klopp said on BT Sport. “It is nothing to do with the match against Atalanta, but congratulations for that.” Klopp’s comments sparked a discussion in the BT Sport studio, where presenter Gary Lineker suggested Liverpool could benefit from the early kick-off on Saturday to give them more time to prepare for the Ajax game. "It's an interesting point about television because television funds a lot of football nowadays and has to have its slot,” Lineker said. “It is difficult on all sides when the season is concertinaed with a month less to get it into. “I guess it's the nature of the season, unfortunate circumstances. Every game is being shown live on television which is appreciated, I think, by the supporters. “You have to have some sympathy with them when they have that many games but I suppose in many ways playing this Saturday would actually be a help to play earlier because there now becomes a very important game next week in the Champions League.”

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson