Phoenix Mercury going back to a running offense

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Mercury's coaching staff, seeing them win their last game without Brittney, and as influenced by knowledgeable people outside the organization, are going back to their up-tempo offense, starting tonight vs. the L.A. Sparks.

They feel confident, and I agree, that Brittney will be able to do what she does best and still fit in over the course of the season. How I wish that the Suns could have had a Center of her relative capabilities to fall back on during the Nash SSOL years.

Being at center court at the game tonight, it will be interesting to see how her adjustment takes off and progresses.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/mer...oenix-mercury-going-back-running-offense.html

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The showtime Lakers had Kareem. Having a big dominant rebounder makes it easier to run.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The showtime Lakers had Kareem. Having a big dominant rebounder makes it easier to run.
You're right! Playing Amar'e out of position at Center or Lopez out of position anywhere at the NBA level sure neutralized what the Suns could have achieved while Nash was in his prime.

Regarding the Mercury, Brittney started the 1st and 3rd quarters tonight and got a few more minutes late in the game. She played only 15 minutes out of the 40, with 10 points and 6 rebounds. This despite only 8 Mercury players being in uniform.

I could feel her frustration, watching her on the bench when she came out after five minutes or so twice. That being said, I can understand Corey Gaines reasoning, with the Mercury going back to a fast tempo offense and easing Brittney into it. It will help in the long run. I commend him for being willing to take a step back to take two steps forward.

And it sure brought the maximum out of Diana Taurasi, who had probably been holding back in deference to Brittany's arrival.

Edit: My error. The main reason Brittney played only 15 minutes last night was because of the sprained knee which kept her out of the last game.

Diana Taurasi did it all. 34 points (the most in the WNBA so far this season) and she played the point. DeWanna Bonner also played a great game at Forward with 23 points and led all players with 12 rebounds.

With 97 points in their 40 minute game with the end approaching, I was hoping the Mercury would try a 3-pointer to reach 100 points.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Was going to say that I thought they were just protecting her knee, but you corrected it. It has been nice however to see this team go back to uptempo offense and pretty handly win the last 2 games.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tuesday at San Antonio, Diana comes close to her first triple-double with 18 points/8 assists/9 rebounds and Brittney scores 26 with 5 blocks and the Mercury go over .500 for the first time this season.

The sky is the limit as the season progresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard