Phillies do not need Schilling's poison

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
By Bob Ford
Inquirer Columnist

Curt Schilling wants to escape from the Arizona Diamondbacks, seeking an exit ramp less than three seasons after conducting a loud, sustained campaign to join that team.

Apparently, Schilling would like nothing better than to rejoin the Phillies, the team he ripped to shreds while filibustering for the July 2000 trade that granted his wish.

From a business standpoint, Schilling's desire to move again makes a lot of sense. The Diamondbacks are cutting costs and dropping in the standings. The Phillies are spending money and are headed north for the first time in a decade.

Schilling gets a chance to make a case with his arm tomorrow when he takes the mound for probably the last time at Veterans Stadium. He'll also have the opportunity to make a verbal plea before the series begins with tonight's game. There will be plenty of television cameras and tape recorders ready to preserve his thoughts, but Schilling doesn't provide much in those settings. He'll pledge his loyalty to the Diamondbacks - he's under contract through the 2004 season - and avoid deep speculation on whether his career might take a U-turn to Philadelphia.

Along with a great fastball, this is one of Schilling's trademarks. What he says isn't always what goes through his mind.

In Sunday's Inquirer, Jim Salisbury reported that Schilling sought out members of the Phillies' traveling party in Phoenix last week and said he definitely wanted to come back. He even had a trade scenario ready in case the Phillies had trouble coming up with one of their own. Helpful as always.

While it is tempting to have Schilling back in the rotation, there are several ways in which the price would be too high. Reason No. 1, however, is what has always been the best reason to have Schilling on someone else's team:

The guy's a jerk.

Yes, he does a lot for charity. Yes, he's a devoted family man. Yes, he has certainly matured over the years. But within the confines of a baseball clubhouse, Schilling has always violated the first rule of kindergarten - he doesn't play well with others.

It hasn't been all his fault, but Schilling's reputation as a me-first player is mostly deserved. There may be no "I" in team, but there are two in Schilling. His penchant for seeking out the spotlight, for ripping teammates, for placing himself ahead of the organization is nearly pathological.

Schilling, who warred with general manager Ed Wade during the latter stages of his tenure here, likes to laugh and quote Wade as saying, "Curt is a horse every fifth day, and the other four days, he's a horse's a-."

What Wade actually said in 1999 was: "Every fifth day, Curt has the opportunity to go out and be a horse on the mound. Unfortunately, on the other four days, he tends to say things which are detrimental to the club and clearly self-serving."

That's a lot more direct and a lot more accurate, like a good Schilling fastball. But not quite as funny.

Most of the problems between Wade and Schilling arose because Schilling felt the Phillies weren't spending enough money in order to win. And you have to observe that Schilling was absolutely right. Any team that kept a straight face while putting Rafael Quirico in a major-league uniform can't be taken too seriously.

Schilling's rants did nothing to make the Phillies better, however. They only intensified a dreadful clubhouse situation and left the impression that Schilling's chief gripe was that he personally deserved better.

There was plenty more. Scott Rolen told Schilling privately that the Vet turf would affect his decision to re-sign with the Phils, and Schilling blabbed that as soon as possible during one of his this-organization-stinks rants. He said during a Major League Baseball conference call with reporters that some of his teammates weren't good enough to win, which made him more popular with his buddies in uniform.

And every day he didn't pitch, Schilling lounged on the top step of the dugout to watch the game, a practice the rest of the Phillies believed was related to the amount of camera time he would receive there. No sense sitting back in the shadows of the dugout where no one could see you.

The Phillies are heading in the right directions these days, and it's no surprise that players from other teams want to get on board. Kevin Millwood joined the Phils in an off-season trade. Jim Thome and David Bell signed up last winter, breaking a long stretch in which major free agents treated Philadelphia as if it were radioactive.

Along the way, the Phils have developed a very good atmosphere in their clubhouse. The new additions are a big part of that. It is professional, purposeful and, as much as any office with 25 competing agendas, it is together.

Why the Phillies would contemplate tossing a human grenade like Schilling into the middle of that is anybody's guess. It could be they have no intention of doing so. After all, Schilling isn't the only pitcher who might be interested in joining a winner.

There are other reasons to take a pass on Schilling's overtures.

Trading for him would be expensive, with the Diamondbacks likely looking to pick up hot prospects such as Gavin Floyd in the transaction. It would also be expensive from a financial standpoint. The Phils are spending more these days, but their primary worry should be extending Millwood's contract past this season.

Schilling can obviously still pitch very well, but he will be 37 in November. He has thrown a lot of innings, and the list of power pitchers who retain their effectiveness past that age is a short one.

The bottom line, though, is that this has nothing to do with baseball. That one day on the mound is fine.

But the other four will kill you.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a load of horse-manure.

Sounds like someone got peed on by Curt at some point.

And buddy, I would wait before you proclaim the Phillies a team on the rise, and the Dbacks a team in decline.....

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In Sunday's Inquirer, Jim Salisbury reported that Schilling sought out members of the Phillies' traveling party in Phoenix last week and said he definitely wanted to come back. He even had a trade scenario ready in case the Phillies had trouble coming up with one of their own. Helpful as always.

Wonder how the D'Backs powers that be feel about that little nugget -

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
WOW!
Curt must have pissed on his steak.
I'm sure Curt's side of the story would be more interesting.

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
I would bet that 1/2 of him does want to go back to Philly. His wifes family in part is back there, she has problems with skin cancer, and Az isnt the best place for that situation. Plus, they finally spent money, and have a solid team. I am definetly sure, that had they done this when he was there, he would have been a lot less animated about how his team played, and their lack of talent.

Its a one sided story with truth mixed in no doubt, but at the same time, nicely destructive to the man. It can really plant seeds in to the Dbacks front office, as well as coaches/players. Much of that info is old news, just rehashed to fit the topic.... take it all with a grain of salt I say... if Schill is here past the deadline, then we just have to wait til next years and see where it goes. Most likely I think he will leave us after his contract is up, if JC isnt interested in signing any big names to contracts, then Schill would be part of that equation... but all we can do is wait!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe an unfair article, but this was a great line:

"There may be no "I" in team, but there are two in Schilling."

Mike

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does he really want to leave the D-Backs so badly?

unc84steve

Veteran
Reaction score
Honest, sincere question. If I'm Curt Schilling & I perceive that the D'backs are heading into a rebuilding process as Jerry Colangelo mentioned in the "SportsWeekly" ("Baseball Weekly") article (Randy Johnson & Curt on the cover), what is my best strategy?

Do I want the Philly press to talk up my trade value or belittle it?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It would seem to me that Arizona would be the BEST place for his wife's skin condition. She can sit in the stands in the shade at Bob and watch him pitch where as she cannot in Philly because they do not have a roof.

BTW I really hope this is not true!

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Ryan, it's not just Shonda, its his kids who are as fair skinned as they can be and may likely have a predisposition to skin cancer as well. I read somewhere that they kids play outdoors after dark because of the fear of exposure to the sun. They wear special protective swimwear, I heard an interview with Shonda bout all the precautions they take. It's probably all overreaction, but who are we to judge, it's not our fear.

Curt never wanted to leave Philly. He signed a contract back in 1997 for well below his market value. He was faced with the situation where the team was not committed to winning or spending money, so he was looking at several losing years as he got older. Curt always burned with a desire to win a world championship.

He had a special relationship with the fans and with the city and we've not forgotten it.

This guy's not a baseball writer, have no clue what prompted him to write that. But as DBaxJ said, the truth is no doubt somewhere in the middle. Jayson Stark who knows the Phillies very well said that Ed Wade did call Joe Jr last winter to ask about Curt. Anything is possible.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I hope the Dbacks don't even make him an offer after next year.

Not because of any of this, my hope would be that the club would go after a younger top quality free agent.

How many 40 year old guys do you sign to big extentions?

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
Judging from the way he dodged the question, it sounds like he really wants to go back. And regardless of what this guy says, I'm sure they would love to have him back. I think the Dbacks should grant him his wish and trade him back. There is no point keeping a guy on your team who doesn't want to be there.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Schilling likes the Dbacks. He also likes the Phillies. If the Dbacks aren't good and the Phillies are then I don't blame him for wanting to go there. Hell, he might finish his career there anyways. But he has a contract here, and I don't see him demanding a trade. If the team decides to go with a youth movement though I'm sure the club would ask about waiving the no trade clause. But all of this is pointless for now.

adam

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
the dbacks are good. we're only 7 down if curt wins later. and it's only may.

besides, sure philly has millwood, but he won't bail your ass out the next game, every time you mess up, the same way a 5-time cy young award winner will. and we happen to have one of the best bullpens right now. id take that in a heartbeat, if i were a starter.

oh, and don't get me started on the phillies fans (no offense, schillingfan).

but seriously, this is a lot like spreading rumours about your own girlfriend. the fact is that schilling is WITH arizona right now. if he leaves, then it's something to worry about. but he hasn't. he's still a diamondback. that says all that needs to be said, i think.

AZZenny

Reaction score
but seriously, this is a lot like spreading rumours about your own girlfriend.

What a perfect line! I may have to borrow it. Curt said everything that needed to be said from the mound tonight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn