PFW: The Way We Hear It - Emmitt Signing & Cards

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
Make no mistake. Although Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis has sung the praises of his new featured back, Cowboys legend Emmitt Smith — and has suggested that Smith could have the same positive effect on the Cardinals that Walter Payton had on the Bears when McGinnis was an assistant coach in Chicago — we hear the decision to sign Smith to a two-year deal between $7 million and $8 million came directly from the top, and that the coaching staff was pretty much told to make it work. In order to do that, though, the Cardinals somehow must dramatically improve their WR situation before the season starts. While that’s a lot easier said than done, it would certainly be OK with new Cardinals offensive coordinator (and former WR coach) Jerry Sullivan, who told our sources just before presstime that he still had every intention of "throwing the ball around" — even though Smith would appear to make the offense more run-oriented than ever.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
in todays NFL you have to be balanced.

There is less and less "run run pass" in todays game. In order to be a great offence you have to beable to spread the field with the pass so you can crush them with the running game...

I love a great running game, but you must have the defense scared of getting beat in the air to be an effective running team.

I love the idea that sully wants to throw it all over the place, that will only open up the running game as well as put more points on the board!

Who knows, but IMHO I think Sully's attention to detail is EXACTLY what this team lacked in the past...

I wouldnt be supprised if he starts out slow at first but once he gets the hang of things I think he will be a very good OC...

pinnacle

Reaction score
this contradicts what I have heard..kind of...It has been reported from a few sources here in phoenix that mcginnis, bidwill jr. and sr. and graves all wanted emmitt...sully and johnny roland were not that interested. opposite of what happened in tampa..ownership did not want emmitt but gruden did..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn