PFW says we are the new Bengals....and they might be right

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
<p>Ahhh Cheesy ---the Cards record in 1997 was 4 and 12, I just looked it up. And as much as you might protest, you are using a lot of hind site in your assessment which can't be applied to the 2003 team. You're right though--we can agree to disagree and wait for this season to see who's the best prognosticator. I think this is one argument you won't mind being on the wrong side of:thumbup:

You are one hundred percent correct!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
Originally posted by Cheesebeef:
Dammit - I want someone to argue - I'm bored to tears!

Here I try and respond to your request and you whine and moan? :rolleyes:

hey man - i wanted to argue about football - not argue with someone who has a beef with me, without saying anything about football. good god man.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
<p>I'll agree that there were some blunders made in regards to the draft and FA signings. Hopefully some of that can be corrected with June 1st. signees. I'm also hopeful that we will have a major surprise with some of our young WR's and they will make us forget about a veteran WR. The other thing I'd like to see is contract extensions. Lets' start keeping our good vets.

that's a lotta hoping for a club with a long history of failure. i really wish i could bottle and ingest your optimism.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Personally - I don't buy the 1998 argument. Anyone who watched that team and saw the offseason that Fergie put together could have believed that was going to be a fun season. We got a 1,000 yard back in Murrell which we had been sorely missing, we had Jake, who had one of his first great comebacks against an Atlanta team which had been on a roll at the end of the season, we had two very good WRs, one of which was coming off a 1600 yard season if I'm not mistaken and then you look on Defense - We had Swann, Rice, Jamir, Aeneas, and promising youngster in Kwammie, and then the coup de ta - we got the "NEXT BRUCE SMITH" along with a highly rated corner from Vanderbilt.

So, we had a young swashbuckling QB, some guys who could get pressure on the QB, a MLB who flew around and was able to make plays because the guys in front of him could keep blockers off him, "the next Bruce Smith" (who although he wasn't, still registered 5 sacks his rookie year and got better as the season wore on), a 1,000 rusher with tread still left on his legs, a Hall of Fame CB, and a great offseason. Everyone knew that team was going to be improved - hell - I even told my roomate after the draft that if he ever wanetd to jump into the fray and become a football fan - he should choose the Cards right then and there, because they were going to be the team of the future and possibly sneak into the playoffs that year. Now you can call BS on me and that's fine, but I know what i said.

The main difference between 98 and 03 is this -That team already HAD talent on it. Do you remember all those games at the beginning of 1997 when we kept losing ridiculous heartbreaker after heartbreaker after heartbreaker - game 1 vs. the Bnegals - up 21-3 in the fourth, game 2, beating Dallas and tearing the goal posts down, game 3 losing to the Skins (team that started 7-1 that year) in OT, game 4, losing to the Bucs (Playoff team that year) after failing to hold them to a fourth down and 10 at their our twenty with 1:30 left and Karl Williams actually beating Aeneas for touchdown, only to see Kevin Butler badly shank a field goal to win it with no time left, game 5 - up 9 against the Vikings (Playoff team that year) at home with 3 minutes left and blowing that one; the eagles game where Jake had his first miracle drive only to see the D give back up a field goal and lose in OT?

My point is that the 1997 team was competitive and had talent on it already - we had a great offseason and we were ready to roll the next season. Now you compare that to this year's situation. Our last 10 games we lost by an average margin of over two touchdowns - we have zero proven WRs (vs two above average WRs) - we have zero proven pass rush (vs. Simeon, Swann and what we hoped Wadsworth would do) - we don't have an Aeneas, and we got zero IMPACT free agents and our draft picks are going to need time to develop.

The comparison that you make between 98 and now just doesn't make sense to me - there were indications all over the place for anyone who followed that team that contrary to popular belief, they were going to be better - it just can't be said the same for now, just because you say it is. Too many ifs and hopes on draft picks and undrafted free agents to be excited about.

from here on out i defy any man, woman, or cardinal's fan to deny the plain honest truth that the beef is a true cardinals fan. only a true cards fan could run through that litany of history w/o an old preseason magazine lying around (and i know he knows this stuff off the top o' his head - scary). in fact, i'd love to see one the "positives" go head-to-head with him sometime just talking about the history, not stats, but the history of the cards since they've in AZ.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
We're going to win our division. Hands down.
Faulk will go down.
Garthia is overrated.
The Hawks are going to get run on, and on, and on.

We are clearly the favorites in the NFC.

Budweiser is the best beer in the world.

The 1995 Huskers were the best team ever, in any sport.

I am the All Being, Master of Time and Space.

Rod Graves.

Jake Plummer.

David Boston.

Franchise Tag.

Salary Cap.

Let's get it on!! Ding Ding!!

11, you're feabily grasping at straws...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
Originally posted by Cheesebeef:
Dammit - I want someone to argue - I'm bored to tears!

Here I try and respond to your request and you whine and moan? :rolleyes:

"you're roadkill" constitutes arguing? are you freakin' kidding me?!?

arguing means responding to points with counterpoints not merely trying to raise someone's ire.

you're just a jerk. plain simple truth.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
That's disgusting.

What kind of freaky crap are you into over their in SoCal?
Sicko.

optimism often provides the same effects as ether. try it next time you're in yuma.