PFT on Kliff

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All this shows is in college he was poor at all his responsibilities except offensive coaching and in the NFL he's poor at all his responsibilities except offensive coaching.

Almost as if there is a pattern where he phones it in on everything except the stuff he likes doing.
I dont even think that he was that good of an offensive coach.

Just knew how to design funky plays to

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont even think that he was that good of an offensive coach.

Just knew how to design funky plays to
Me neither. So far, his offenses have ranked 15th and 10th in points per game. Genius seems a little far fetched until we’re at least a top 5 scoring unit, IMO.

but, he moved up from 32nd to 15th to 10th (albeit fell off a cliff the second half of the season). This year there’s just no excuses why he can’t have a dominant offense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Was the problem "play-calling?" Or was it "inconsistent execution?"

I think our problems converting 3rd downs stemmed mostly from plays poorly carried out.
I agree. I don’t know how the defenses always guessed we’d throw to the sticks. Every time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Me neither. So far, his offenses have ranked 15th and 10th in points per game. Genius seems a little far fetched until we’re at least a top 5 scoring unit, IMO.

but, he moved up from 32nd to 15th to 10th (albeit fell off a cliff the second half of the season). This year there’s just no excuses why he can’t have a dominant offense.
Oh don’t worry, some posters will come up with them. Always do.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. It's been interesting listening to the just-completed season of Flying Coach with Sean McVay. The guys who have been super-successful (like McVay and Shanahan) have been embedded in the coaching process forever.

Sean McVay was an offensive assistant in Tampa Bay in 2008. He spent six years moving up the ranks in Washington, taking on more and more responsibilities.

Kliff was an OC two years into his coaching career. I just don't think he really knows what the job is, and it's probably pretty frustrating for guys on the staff that have been working their way up.

This may very well be spot on. He simply doesn't have the experience to know what he doesn't know so clings feverishly to what he does know. Drawing up plays and playing QB coach.

(I would add Matt LeFleur to this list of young HC's that did their time in the NFL before becoming a HC. He's done a good job at GB)
Guys who worked their way up seem to be really good teachers.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

With rosters built by Keim that you deadpan at every chance.

Posts like this are sheer comedy.

Reaction score
It's not like the offense was terrible last year. It was actually the number 1 overall offense half way through the season. Up until Kyler got hurt & played like crap.

''During his press conference on Wednesday, Kyler Murray was asked how it felt to be leading the No. 1 offense in the NFL.
"Is that real?" the second-year quarterback asked nearby media relations man Chris Melvin.
The Cardinals indeed sit atop the league in total offense through Week 8, averaging a robust 419.1 yards per game. That number has been buoyed by an impressive recent stretch against the Jets, Cowboys and Seahawks in which the offense has averaged 484.3 yards per game.
The Chargers are second in total offense, followed by the Chiefs, Seahawks and Titans.
"I guess that means we're doing something good," Murray said. "This being Week 9, we've got a lot of work to do. It's a good stat, a lot of progress from last year to this year, (but) it's a long season."''

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

actually, I didn’t “deadpan” (whatever that means) last year’s offensive roster. Again, I predicted we’d make a deep run in the playoffs last season and that was because I thought the offense was pretty loaded with the addition of Hop to Our WR corps, while being two deep at RB after bringing back what’s his name (my lord my Covid brain can’t remember anyone’s name anymore) on the franchise tag.

I was also all for dumping Rosen and drafting Kyler in year one and was in wait and see mode there with the roster moves made.

the overwhelming majority of my Keim criticism has focused on his roster construction on Defense over the last couple years. But that’s not the discussion here about Kingsbury’s being a great offensive mind.

But don’t let facts of what I’ve previously said here get in the way of your usual ignorance of them, likely induced by your overflowing cup full of Kool-Aid.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like the offense was terrible last year. It was actually the number 1 overall offense half way through the season. Up until Kyler got hurt & played like crap.

''During his press conference on Wednesday, Kyler Murray was asked how it felt to be leading the No. 1 offense in the NFL.
"Is that real?" the second-year quarterback asked nearby media relations man Chris Melvin.
The Cardinals indeed sit atop the league in total offense through Week 8, averaging a robust 419.1 yards per game. That number has been buoyed by an impressive recent stretch against the Jets, Cowboys and Seahawks in which the offense has averaged 484.3 yards per game.
The Chargers are second in total offense, followed by the Chiefs, Seahawks and Titans.
"I guess that means we're doing something good," Murray said. "This being Week 9, we've got a lot of work to do. It's a good stat, a lot of progress from last year to this year, (but) it's a long season."''

I stopped reading at “it’s not like the offense was terrible last year” because NO ONE SAID THE OFFENSE WAS TERRIBLE LAST YEAR.

if you have to exaggerate or lie about other posters opinions in order to strengthen your own, that’s the first sign your opinion sucks.

in my opinion. :)

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Cards have built a highly functional offense -- i think the credit for that has to go equally to KK and K1.

its an offense with flaws though. Kurt Warner said it best (i paraphrase here): both KK and K1 have to get better at making the normal plays so they aren't so reliant on K1's special plays. Teams that rely on their QB to be special 20 times a game to win arent consistent enough to go far. Make more normal plays and have K1 be special 6-7 times a game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It wasn't Murray getting injured. Its was teams copying the Pats scheme against us and playing a tonne of zone to stop Kyler running and because Kliff's routes sucked vs zone.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wasn't Murray getting injured. Its was teams copying the Pats scheme against us and playing a tonne of zone to stop Kyler running and because Kliff's routes sucked vs zone.
I dont expect a major change with the route tree. However, if we can pound teams with the running game (RBs) then we should be able to counter that.

I still think if Kliff goes to more traditional runs/play action we can get by while Kyler is still developing. (When teams are milking the Pats scheme against us)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I dont expect a major change with the route tree. However, if we can pound teams with the running game (RBs) then we should be able to counter that.

I still think if Kliff goes to more traditional runs/play action we can get by while Kyler is still developing. (When teams are milking the Pats scheme against us)
Kyler's gotta be comfortable with that, too.

Reaction score
I stopped reading at “it’s not like the offense was terrible last year” because NO ONE SAID THE OFFENSE WAS TERRIBLE LAST YEAR.

if you have to exaggerate or lie about other posters opinions in order to strengthen your own, that’s the first sign your opinion sucks.

Umm, where did I exaggerate or lie? Where did I say someone said the offense was terrible. What I said is a general expression. Didn't accuse anyone of anything so the one lying would be you IMO of course. ;)

Reaction score

Didn't you say that the offense has to be top 5 for you to call KK a genius or did I misread that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm, where did I exaggerate or lie? Where did I say someone said the offense was terrible. What I said is a general expression. Didn't accuse anyone of anything so the one lying would be you IMO of course. ;)

you have control of your own words cub. if you didn't want to imply people were saying the offense was terrible, you could have used a word that fit what you meant.

otherwise, it's a gaslighting tactic to try and skew other's opinions.

again, if you can't make your point without exaggerating others, maybe you don't have a good point to make.

Reaction score
you have control of your own words cub. if you didn't want to imply people were saying the offense was terrible, you could have used a word that fit what you meant.

otherwise, it's a gaslighting tactic to try and skew other's opinions.

again, if you can't make your point without exaggerating others, maybe you don't have a good point to make.

Saying ''it's not like they were terrible last year'' is just an expression that means nothing more than they weren't terrible last year which they weren't. It implies nothing else. It is you that is making more out of it than it is & I'm not sure why. I'm not gaslighting anything. I guess you & I have a different grasp of the english language.

So is KK a genius for having a number 1 offense up until week 8 or does it have to be the full year with no one getting injured?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Know what’s comedy to me? People who think it’s a zero sum equation. Takes a team of decision makers to underperform usually.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why would you say “it’s not like the offense was terrible” if no one was calling it terrible? How does that further the conversation? It doesn’t. It’s moving the goalposts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Saying ''it's not like they were terrible last year'' is just an expression that means nothing more than they weren't terrible last year which they weren't. It implies nothing else. It is you that is making more out of it than it is & I'm not sure why. I'm not gaslighting anything. I guess you & I have a different grasp of the english language.

So is KK a genius for having a number 1 offense up until week 8 or does it have to be the full year with no one getting injured?
Imo a “genius” can effectively coach around a single injury - even to the QB if it doesn’t mean the QB doesn’t miss time. Otherwise it’s just a coach riding the talent of a single player.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
Imo a “genius” can effectively coach around a single injury - even to the QB if it doesn’t mean the QB doesn’t miss time. Otherwise it’s just a coach riding the talent of a single player.
i think thats true for QBs only for a game or maybe two --- then defenses expose the lack of talent

i think KK deserves criticism for having Strevler over Hundley and/or Streveler looking lost against the Rams

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i think thats true for QBs only for a game or maybe two --- then defenses expose the lack of talent

i think KK deserves criticism for having Strevler over Hundley and/or Streveler looking lost against the Rams
That’s your only criticism of kk?!?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s your only criticism of kk?!?

he didn't say "only" Ouch.

that decision was indefensible though. Strevler didn't look like he belonged in a Turkey Bowl with friends on Thanksgiving morning, much less the biggest game of the season against a Rams team also being held together by duct-tape and super glue.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
Strevler didn't look like he belonged in a Turkey Bowl with friends on Thanksgiving morning,
when Streveler was signed: this could be a fun Taysom Hill kinda piece. Special teams, gadget plays. Take snaps in short yardage with Murray lined up in the backfield. Fun

what we got: one QB snap (and a reverse at that) and some pathetic backup Qb play with the season on the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose