Personnel Priorities in Today's NFL

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
For those of us who have been NFL fans for the past half century we have watched a rather stunning evolution of the game.

The run first, pass second offenses that we grew up watching are now a distant memory---the old rages were running plays such as the Packers' vaunted power sweep taught so religiously by Vince Lombardi as his staple, bread and butter play. If a team couldn't slow that play down, they didn't have a chance to beat the Packers.

Then there was the Redskins' famous "Counter Trey" where they down-blocked one side of the hogs and pulled both the back side guard and tackle. At times this play seemed unstoppable.

And one of the great memories I have of meeting John Madden in 1984 is when he diagrammed his bread and butter weak side off tackle play and the three different blocking variations his Raiders used in order to make the play even more impossible to defend. Madden said he would spend almost the entire first day of training camp on this one play and its three variations---he said, he believed that you always teach the hardest play to perfect first, when the players are fresh---and that everything else would seem easy in comparison.

But---along came the AFL---and it brought forth a new sexy way to play---the vertical passing game.

Interesting---if you look back---how was it even remotely possible that the Jets managed to beat the Colts in Super Bowl IV? They ran their offense in reverse of the trend: they passed first and ran second. And because Joe Namath was able to put the Colts' defense on its heels with an array of flashy downfield passes and quick underneath passes to the RB---by the time the 4th quarter came, the Colts' defense was so out of sorts, the Jets just hammered the ball right down their throats in the running game.

Yes---the formula had been reversed---pass first, run second.

And thanks to creative offensive pass happy geniuses like Don Coryell---the trend started gathering greater and greater momentum.

Nowadays the NFL has evolved into an aerial extravaganza---gone are the the preponderance of rugby scrums in favor of turning the game into an art form that virtually resembles the Metropolitan ballet.

When one looks at the evolution of the NFL Draft---the only things that have remained the same over the past 40 years are Mel Kiper's hairline...and the #1 priority for all NFL Teams: landing a franchise QB.

The top of the NFL draft will always be reserved for QBs---because if you don't have a franchise QB you don't have a chance in this league---pure and simple.

As a result---over the past two years 11 QBs have been taken in the first two rounds---and you could make the argument that of those 11, less than a handful of them appear to have the total skill set that would warrant 1st or 2nd round grades. Yet---the hope is---you can roll the dice earlier than the sixth round to find the next Tom Brady---you know, that solid college QB who in the right system can morph into a repeated Super Bowl MVP.

As they say---for every action there is an equal opposite reaction.

The second priority has become teams' obsession for sacking the QB.

Get this---in the last two drafts---nearly a quarter of the selections in the first and second round have been OLB/DEs---26 of them---followed closely by 17 defensive tackles---that's over 1/3 of all players taken in the first two rounds.

So if pass rushers/defensive linemen are the top priority number-wise---what position is of next highest demand?

It's a tie---that works both ways: offensive tackles and cornerbacks---14 each.

But wait---what about WRs?

What's very interesting is that only 11 WRs have been selected in the first two rounds the past two years. 11 QBs and 11 WRs.

How come?

The nature of the passing offenses has changed.

Because teams are becoming so adept at rushing the passer, the vertical passing game is no longer in vogue, basically because teams can't buy enough time for their QBs to run it.

What offenses have evolved into are three step and throw "get the ball out quickly" offenses---

One defensive minded coach who has been trying to perfect this new art of short to intermediate passing attack is Bill Belichick.

What Belichick learned while preparing his defenses to beat Peyton Manning is the value of the TE (Dallas Clark) and slot WR (Brandon Stokely) and how difficult it was to defend. The short to intermediate middle is always harder to defend, because the passes are shorter and come out faster.

So what did Belichick do? A few years back he traded a 2nd rounder for diminutive slot WR Wes Welker---which at the time had the fans scratching their heads.

Next he makes an effort to stockplie the TE position in the hope of finding his version of Dallas Clark---and managed to hit the jackpot when he was able to draft Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively in the 2010 draft.

When has anyone used a 2nd and 3rd round pick on TEs in the same draft?

With the trio of Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez---and despite the fact that the Patriots lacked big play WRs on the outside and were very suspect and vulnerable on defense---the Patriots accrued a 26-6 regular season record the past two years (14-2, 12-4).

Teams used to run up the middle to control the games and move the chains---now they pass up the middle to control the games and move the chains.

Therefore, what we about to see is a continued change in priorities and how they will pertain to the NFL Draft.

QB and pass rushers will remain the top draws.

But now---look for teams to draft higher than they normally would for the following:

1. Pass Catching Tight Ends.

2. Slot WRs.

3. Guards/Centers who can protect the three step drop.

4. Three down ILBers who can cover.

5. Safeties who can cover short and deep and be physical.

6. Hybrid CB/S types.

7. 34 DEs/OLBers who are tall, athletic and tough to pass over.

As a result---it would not be surprising to see the following players in this draft be taken higher than you might think:

1. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford. Orson Charles, TE, Georgia.

2. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas.

3. David DeCastro, G, Stanford. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin.

4. Luke Keuchly, ILB, Boston College. Tank Carder, ILB, TCU.

5. Mark Barron, S, Alabama, Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame.

6. Trumaine Johnson, CB/S, Montana. Josh Norman, CB/S, Coastal Carolina.

7. Chandler Jones. DE/OLB, Syracuse. Taylor Thompson, DE, SMU.

Perfect Fits:

1. Fleener: #18 to San Diego. Antonio Gates is on the decline---and having Fleener opposite him or their new slot WR in Roscoe Parrish would make them prolific over the middle.

2. Wright: #21 to Cincinnati. Imagine having Wright play inside of A.J. Green. A DC's nightmare.

3. DeCastro: #11 to Kansas City. They want to run the ball and throw a controlled passing game---this guy is perfect for them.

4. Keuchly: #10 to Buffalo. They have to cover the trio of Gronk, Hernandez and Welker---they added the pass rushers now adding the best cover ILB in the draft would be a boon.

5. Barron: #9: to Miami. Same reasons as Buffalo---how are you going to beat the Patriots and their middle passing game?

6. Trumaine Johnson: #31 to New England. His versatility would do wonders for their underachieving secondary.

7. Chandler Jones: #37 to Cleveland. Great fit for them---especially if they draft for offense on their first two picks at #4 and #22.

How about the Cardinals and what they have at these positions?

1. Pass catching TE---Rob Housler.

2. Slot WR---Andre Roberts. Early Doucet. Jaymar Johnson.

3. Guards who can protect the three step drop---Daryn Colledge and Adam Snyder.

4. Three down ILBers who can cover---Daryl Washington.

5. Safeties who can cover short and deep and play physically---Adrian Wilson. Kerry Rhodes. Wilson is good short, but not deep...Rhodes can play short and deep...Wilson is physical, Rhodes less so. Neither can do all three.

6. Hybrid CB/S types---William Gay, Crezdon Butler.

7. Tall athletic 34DEs---Calais Campbell (who is revolutionizing the position, imo. We are going to start seeing tall 34 DE types emerge in college and the pros because of the short passing game and how hard it is to throw over an athletic 6'8" 34 DE).

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch and I think your thoughts of how the NFL is evolving (or has evolved) are spot on.

Does anyone know if Trumaine Johnson the prospect is related to Trumaine Johnson the former WR for the Arizona Wranglers (my favorite player when the Wranglers existed)?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Get this whopping stat:

2011 Cardinals Receiving Targets:

WRs: 330

TEs/Slot WR: 128

2011 Patriots Receiving Targets:

WRs: 131

TEs/Slot WR: 427

2011 Patriots:

Welker: 122/1569/12.9/9 TDs

Gronkowski: 90/1327/14.7/17 TDs

Hernnadez: 79/910/11.5/7 TDs

TOTALS: 291/3806/13.1/33 TDs

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
What the Cards need are a couple of magicians, one for offense and one for defense. Let's bring back the old hidden ball trick, the Now you See it Now you Don't play, and of course the standard mis-direction. A little magic is what the Cards really need.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What offenses have evolved into are three step and throw "get the ball out quickly" offenses---

This is exactly what I've brought up in my criticism of Roberts and Doucet. That to me they seem slow off the line of scrimmage. Fitz isn't any quicker but he's an alien so we could live with the one. We can't live with 3 slow starting Wide Receivers.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Very nice stuff.

Now if we could get a QB that can actually throw it to Housler. Early in the season he'd catch everything. But then our QB troubles caused the QB not to be able to connect to him. Finally by the time they started targeting and the ball reaching him later in the season, he hadn't been involved for many weeks and seemed rusty. I still have a lot of hope for Housler.

He showed he can catch good and consistently for stretches, though not the whole season.

He has the speed at TE the defenses have a hard time covering. It was amazing how fast he got past the 2nd level defenders and was wide open routinely, early in the season. How much of that wasn't respecting his speed vs. him being that much faster is debatable. But last year defenses didn't cover him well at all. Our QB's just didn't have the time, awareness. or accuracy to get the ball to him.

I'm hoping this is a problem that gets solved, because if it does, Roberts becomes the 3rd option, which probably suits him better.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Excellent write up you definitely come up with interesting and good insight. However I don't see the NFL turning into the current version of the New England Patriots. I agree with everything else you said but I don't see what they did as something a lot of teams are going to be able to duplicate.

First and foremost you have to have a quarterback with elite talent and it simply just isn't that easy to start loading teams with two TE of that caliber. After that you have to have a Wes Welker style wide receiver to make it all work and even then IMO, after teams make adjustments without a deep threat and a running game when you need it defensive coordinators will find a solution for it.

I still believe you have to have to be able to go deep as well, as having a threat in the middle and be able to run the ball when you need to. If you can do all of that and still field two pass catching TE then I'm all for it. But the current New England Patriots team can't do that and I think all of it is going to slow down with everyone adjusting to it.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
5. Barron: #9: to Miami. Same reasons as Buffalo---how are you going to beat the Patriots and their middle passing game?

Miami isn't going to take him, imo. But this guy still is intriguing to me.

We have some great TE's in our division and we also play the AFC East this coming season. It would be good to have that extra physical cover guy and someone who can take over for AW and Rhodes down the line, possibly along with PP back there eventually.

There was some talk of bringing in another S, but he'd be a stop gap.

We could look at one in the draft later on too, but not sure if any would have an immediate impact next season.

btw, I lived in NY back when the Jets won, the 5 t/o's they got on D didn't hurt too much either.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've brought up in my criticism of Roberts and Doucet. That to me they seem slow off the line of scrimmage. Fitz isn't any quicker but he's an alien so we could live with the one. We can't live with 3 slow starting Wide Receivers.

Fitz is extremely quick off the line (one of the quickest in the NFL, but we do not use it well) though not a burner when it comes to straight line speed deep, but I do see what you mean about our other WRs

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic article on the evolution of the passing game Mitch. I had to watch latest Superbowl again to understand what Giants were doing so well
to prevent the Patriots offense. This is a relevant thread to post what I think about it.

The answer seemed just too simple. On one side you have the complicated screen-short-intermediate one/three step drop passing attack that has the ultimate timing and accuracy. On the other side of the field, you have the simple-predictable-but aggressive defense.

Four man rush, man under, two deep. The most classical alignment and assignment that can be described in defensive football. There are two crucial positions, as you mention it as well. The edge rushers and the cover LB's. LB's did a fantastic job to disturb the TE's and slot WR's in their routes. They were able to maintain the inside position and with the help over the top, and by jamming from the inside out , give enough time for the edge rush to disturb Brady's balance. They were not allowing any form of inside release, this was always countered by contact inside the 5. Couple of times, when the position of the OLB to prevent the inside was to dangerous for the short outside breaking route (especially on Welker) the CB on that side of the field seemed to change his assignment into underneath zone to prevent the slot receiver, and instead letting his WR's over to the safety/OLB combo. The good press from the corner allowed time for the OLB to recover from the jam and help the safety to bracket. This resulted in half of the field being zone and the remaining being man, confusing Brady at times.

By being aggressive early and playing man coverage, the LB's and CB's gave no options for the short passes and screens. Zone defenses will always have trouble with the short passing game and screens to WR's.

Safeties were turning their attention to bracket the inside receivers and TE's. north-south to take away the intermediate throws. OLB's did a great job covering underneath and made it easy for the safeties.

DE's were extremely effective and protected the deep ball consistently. When you have the edge rushers to defend the deep pass, you can let your safeties defend the intermediate pass instead of the deep.

Good pass rushers and cover OLB's is the way to counter an explosive and complicated offense like the Patriots. What are the positions that failed for the Patriots to counter this? Outside WR's and the QB.... Outside WR's were simply not good in taking the advantage of the man coverage. The QB? Not being able to scramble against this type of defense. One or two successful runs by the QB would have completely changed the look of that defense over the game.

It is even more ironic that the similar strategy was used on the offensive side of the football. The Giants kept calling plays from the same formations, even after two penalties I noted they run even the same plays. They didn't spread the field, aligned in relatively few pro style formations, involving TE's and FB's.
They run the football more than Patriots and played balanced.

Giants were old school on both sides of the football. They were more predictable and traditional, but they were just so good at what they did, and were a much more physical football team.

I think one thing will never change in football. When you have a play/set of plays/formation and players to make that work, being good at few plays
is much better than being solid at many many plays. I think this holds from
the Packer sweep to the latest Superbowl.

It seems to me that the most complicated thing in modern football is to keep it simple.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Brady completed 30 of 40 passes at 7.4 yards per attempt. So I don't see where the Giants pass defense was that great.

What is really interesting is that for the 4th time in 5 years a team that finished the regular season 9-7 or 10-6 played in the Super Bowl winning 3 of the 4.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Brady completed 30 of 40 passes at 7.4 yards per attempt. So I don't see where the Giants pass defense was that great.

What is really interesting is that for the 4th time in 5 years a team that finished the regular season 9-7 or 10-6 played in the Super Bowl winning 3 of the 4.

The stats you refer to doesn't equal points. On most of the incompletions of the 41, it was either key stops, INT or safety. All on crucial points; the strategy proved valid. Patriots only scored 17, having no answer for it. That much for a high explosive offense.

And the number is 27 of 41, with 6.7 yards per attempt. Not that i think it matters at all. The timing and the way and nature of the incompletions is the most important feature of a defense.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The stats you refer to doesn't equal points. On most of the incompletions of the 41, it was either key stops, INT or safety. All on crucial points; the strategy proved valid. Patriots only scored 17, having no answer for it. That much for a high explosive offense.

And the number is 27 of 41, with 6.7 yards per attempt. Not that i think it matters at all. The timing and the way and nature of the incompletions is the most important feature of a defense.

You're correct. I put in Manning's numbers by mistake.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Get this whopping stat:

2011 Patriots:

Cool read Mitch.

Good Stuff.

I don't know if this applies to every team in the league, but it does show that some teams are thinking outside the box. We have one of those coaches on defense.

You example above shows the "Run & Shoot Offense that uses TE's" that Belichek runs. It is pretty much the run and shoot but with TE's instead of WR's.

Sounds funny but in keeping with the topic, I think it is harder to find a "Aaron Hernandez" type TE, then a Gronkowski TE. Just to throw that in there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Get this whopping stat:

2011 Patriots:

Those numbers would look very different if Brady had Larry Fitzgerald to throw to.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Cool read Mitch.

Good Stuff.

I don't know if this applies to every team in the league, but it does show that some teams are thinking outside the box. We have one of those coaches on defense.

You example above shows the "Run & Shoot Offense that uses TE's" that Belichek runs. It is pretty much the run and shoot but with TE's instead of WR's.

Sounds funny but in keeping with the topic, I think it is harder to find a "Aaron Hernandez" type TE, then a Gronkowski TE. Just to throw that in there.

Don't agree with last statement, IMO Gronkowski is a beast, he can do what ever you ask of him block a little catch passes be an every down player. Hernadez is a good pass catching TE not much more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard