Paying for internet sports news?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good deal. I was holding off because I'm not a fan of paying for news but that's $30 a year, which isn't much at all. I was a little worried they would go out of business when they announced their creation last summer but they seem to be going strong. I wish the Suns had a different beat writer though. Gina Mizell isn't terrible but she's not that good either. Scott Bordow covers the Cardinals, so if you're a Cards' fan then that might help make it more worthwhile.

If Scott Bordow were covering the Suns I would have joined already. I'd have to look to the Cardinals or national Suns coverage to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
MANY years ago I used to write articles on the Chargers on a website. Then one of the internet services, I can't remember exactly which one, sent me an offer to write two for them, free of course, but if my articles were received well, then they would hire me to be a writer for the Chargers. Since it was the internet, and it was literally 10-15 years ago, I declined. Now I see a lot of these guys started out like that are now "highly respected journalists" when they were just fans like me. A good number of the really good ones started as journalists in college, but I have seen a few who started like I would have. Anyway, I notice a lot of the Suns journalists do what I did. They scour quotes provided by other journalists, and supply their own analysis of whatever category of the team they are covering. A lot is opinion not fact. So that's why I haven't paid for sports content, because I get ALL the opinion I need from this forum! :)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
For me at a relatively low price, it was worth it. But I do enjoy the Mizell articles and the other contributing Suns articles like the recent one that had all of our salary cap implications listed. But only you can decide if it's worth it for yourself. I bought a year at a discount before the season started and I'll have to reevaluate when my subscription runs out at the beginning of next season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MANY years ago I used to write articles on the Chargers on a website. Then one of the internet services, I can't remember exactly which one, sent me an offer to write two for them, free of course, but if my articles were received well, then they would hire me to be a writer for the Chargers. Since it was the internet, and it was literally 10-15 years ago, I declined. Now I see a lot of these guys started out like that are now "highly respected journalists" when they were just fans like me. A good number of the really good ones started as journalists in college, but I have seen a few who started like I would have. Anyway, I notice a lot of the Suns journalists do what I did. They scour quotes provided by other journalists, and supply their own analysis of whatever category of the team they are covering. A lot is opinion not fact. So that's why I haven't paid for sports content, because I get ALL the opinion I need from this forum! :)

This is usually the only place I go to for anything Suns. Such good posts from members, content, and a little bit of humor here and there. Everyone is so insightful. Definitely beats having a Suns related conversation with a casual fan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My subscription to The Athletic will be expiring in the not too distant future. Gina Mizell was one of the layoffs at The Athletic so I'm not sure who will be covering the Suns. I guess I'm wondering if I will subscribe again.

Looks like azcentral is doing more subscriber articles although they still have articles that can be read without a subscription.

Anyone subscribe to ESPN+ and do you feel it is worth it?

I might just stick with Arizona Sports for the time being and whatever is free locally and nationally.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I cancelled my Athletic subscription the day I heard of Mizell's layoff and told them why. I'm thinking about AZCentral now since they have pretty good Suns coverage.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at ESPN+ because I have Hulu and Disney+ already and apparently with ESPN+ you get access to more articles on ESPN.com. I was curious if anyone can give their take on that. Just looking at ESPN's site quickly, it looks like they got rid of "Insider" in favor of + and if that's the case then I think I'll get ESPN+ because the additional web coverage plus the channels the service offers sounds like a really good deal, especially since I can get the bundle pricing and pay next to nothing for it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at ESPN+ because I have Hulu and Disney+ already and apparently with ESPN+ you get access to more articles on ESPN.com. I was curious if anyone can give their take on that. Just looking at ESPN's site quickly, it looks like they got rid of "Insider" in favor of + and if that's the case then I think I'll get ESPN+ because the additional web coverage plus the channels the service offers sounds like a really good deal, especially since I can get the bundle pricing and pay next to nothing for it.

I'm not sure how it works but here is an example of an article (link) requiring "Insider.ESPN.com" for content so the "Insider" name is still being used. See below.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider...e-top-replacement-players-nba-teams-sign-week

I'd probably be more interested in the articles than anything else so let me know how it works and the cost.

I have DirecTV.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it works but here is an example of an article (link) requiring "Insider.ESPN.com" for content so the "Insider" name is still being used. See below.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider...e-top-replacement-players-nba-teams-sign-week

I'd probably be more interested in the articles than anything else so let me know how it works and the cost.

I have DirecTV.

That says Insider in the URL but when I click it, it asks for an ESPN+ log in and when I put that in, I'm able to read everything. I had Hulu & Disney+ already, Hulu was 11.99 and Disney was 6.99 and they have a bundle for 18.99 that includes ESPN+, so the same price I'm paying with more added. I have the "No Ads" Hulu plan also, which is why it's a little more. You can get the bundle for 12.99 with Ads on Hulu but I can't stand commercials, I'll pay the $5-6 to get rid of them. So I'm paying the same and now have a lot of ESPN.com articles and some streaming ESPN videos as well.

I'd say get it if you have either Hulu or Disney already because adding the 2 other services for $6-7 is a good deal. I love Hulu and that's been my primary viewing since I cut the cord with Dish Network a couple months ago. I prefer Hulu to Netflix now since Hulu has more content you've heard of while Netflix has shifted it's focus to originals for the most part.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That says Insider in the URL but when I click it, it asks for an ESPN+ log in and when I put that in, I'm able to read everything. I had Hulu & Disney+ already, Hulu was 11.99 and Disney was 6.99 and they have a bundle for 18.99 that includes ESPN+, so the same price I'm paying with more added. I have the "No Ads" Hulu plan also, which is why it's a little more. You can get the bundle for 12.99 with Ads on Hulu but I can't stand commercials, I'll pay the $5-6 to get rid of them. So I'm paying the same and now have a lot of ESPN.com articles and some streaming ESPN videos as well.

I'd say get it if you have either Hulu or Disney already because adding the 2 other services for $6-7 is a good deal. I love Hulu and that's been my primary viewing since I cut the cord with Dish Network a couple months ago. I prefer Hulu to Netflix now since Hulu has more content you've heard of while Netflix has shifted it's focus to originals for the most part.

Sounds like a good deal for you.

If I go with it, I will probably just subscribe to the written content on ESPN+ for $4.99 per month. Still, I'm not sure it's worth it. I had The Athletic and didn't really get much insider information or use it that much.

If ESPN+ still had DraftExpress I might feel differently but there is so much free information out there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN insider is ESPN+

I got ESPN+ for UFC fights and usl soccer.

How much did it cost for you to add it? I'm guessing you get written content on ESPN+ as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN + was 5.99 a month.
The written content is free.

That's a sweet deal. I should have asked you your base package.

I'm beginning to feel like the television character George Costanza in Seinfeld. LMAO

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a sweet deal. I should have asked you your base package.

I'm beginning to feel like the television character George Costanza in Seinfeld. LMAO
Just ESPN +.
I still have directv....so I didn’t need Hulu or Disney.

Oh and you can pay yearly or monthly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I will need to put her in my bookmarks again.

Respect Duane Rankin of azcentral for working during his furlough.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azcentral never seems to give me anything more than what the azcardinals.com website gives me. they basically all report the exact same info. At least at the athletic, Bordow seems to do big pieces of information you are not getting elsewhere.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azcentral never seems to give me anything more than what the azcardinals.com website gives me. they basically all report the exact same info. At least at the athletic, Bordow seems to do big pieces of information you are not getting elsewhere.

Unfortunately Scott Bordow does not work at The Athletic anymore. Mostly I get my Cardinals information from Arizona Sports and twitter sources.

I let my subscription to The Athletic expire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I just follow twitter. Most articles are 6 paragraphs that could be summed up in a tweet anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave