Pasquarelli: Cards have begun preliminary talks with Green

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinals | Green the Favorite? - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:31:59 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Arizona Cardinals have begun preliminary discussions with former Minnesota Vikings head coach Dennis Green, but the Cardinals have not made him a formal contract offer. They are believed to favor Green over the other candidates they've already visited with.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by Metal Militia
Cardinals | Green the Favorite? - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:31:59 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Arizona Cardinals have begun preliminary discussions with former Minnesota Vikings head coach Dennis Green, but the Cardinals have not made him a formal contract offer. They are believed to favor Green over the other candidates they've already visited with.

Nice! :thumbup:

Although it will be interesting to see what is going on with Green and the Oakland Raiders' opening (I mean he was visiting with them yesterday). Personally I hope we get him!

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I think Green would do well here.. I worry about the defensive side of the ball.. this is our most troubled side.. i hope that he can get a aggresive defensive minded young cooridanator in here and some awesome asst.s

Go Green/Cards

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by jrjbritt
I think Green would do well here.. I worry about the defensive side of the ball.. this is our most troubled side.. i hope that he can get a aggresive defensive minded young cooridanator in here and some awesome asst.s

Go Green/Cards

Given Green's defences in Minnesota I had the same worries, too. I do, however, not think that this would be a problem here. Graves clearly runs the show and Green would never be able to neglect the defense to the same extent. Green will have a say in personnel decisions, but Graves will ultimately make the calls.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
Given Green's defences in Minnesota I had the same worries, too. I do, however, not think that this would be a problem here. Graves clearly runs the show and Green would never be able to neglect the defense to the same extent. Green will have a say in personnel decisions, but Graves will ultimately make the calls.

I'm a touch confused. Are you saying that Graves will decide what coordinators Green will hire? He does, by virtue of position offer the final OK... but, the Coach has the predominant say as to who he'll have working under him.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
i thought the defense was the strong point of the season. most of the opponents points came from turnovers. keep giving any team the short field and they will score. don't get me wrong. the cards d needs to be upgraded. the cards offense and specials teams need to address before the defense. with that said. their is always room for improvment on any team. the defense are two pass rushers away from having a good defense. the offense is a qb and a good coaching staff away from being a great offensive team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No knock on the credibility of anyone associated with the media, but part of playing "negotiations hardball" sometimes involves a well-placed leak to the press.

Pasquarelli might be dead-on, but I'd take that blurb with a grain of salt. It could be Dennie's agent attempting to get Big Al or Snyder off their butts.

Or maybe not.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Originally posted by JeffGollin
No knock on the credibility of anyone associated with the media, but part of playing "negotiations hardball" sometimes involves a well-placed leak to the press.

Pasquarelli might be dead-on, but I'd take that blurb with a grain of salt. It could be Dennie's agent attempting to get Big Al or Snyder off their butts.

Or maybe not.

Good point. Sort of like when a FA comes in here & starts "negotiating" when all they want is the other team to get busy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Pasquarelli: Cards have begun preliminary talks with Green

Originally posted by Evil Ash
Nice! :thumbup:

Although it will be interesting to see what is going on with Green and the Oakland Raiders' opening (I mean he was visiting with them yesterday). Personally I hope we get him!

2 big articles in the San Jose Mercury today on Green and the Raiders(www.mercurycenter.com). Basically saying hiring him would be a great change. Green said a lot of the same things he said in Arizona, want to turn it around quickly, pieces are there, wouldn't be here if I didn't want the job etc.

Same concerns expressed by media, his rep was blaming others for problems, had some personal "issues" but a very good coach.

The one comment that made me take notice was the part about how long it takes Al Davis to make a big decision. He had interviewed Gruden 3 times in the past and still took 16 days to go from starting the search to hiring him, and he took 37 days to hire Joe Bugel! This may be a case where we don't have to worry about them beating us to the punch.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Wasn't it Pascarelli who reported last year that Bryant Johnson wouldn't sign with the Cards for a very long time, as he was annoyed they signed Pace? He reported it less than 24 hours before Johson signed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Very interesting in light of today’s Republic article that basically says that after meeting Sunday, the Cardinal braintrust decided to interview everyone again

My reaction at the breakfast table: D’ohhhhhhhhhh!!!

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the idea of Green as Head Coach.

I like the idea that they will have a new head coach quickly even better.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We will regret hiring Green. He will lead us back down the same path as Buddy Ryan. There will be in-fighting, backstabbing & finger-pointing. How quickly a desperate franchise can forget what this guy did in Minnesota. Fassel is the best choice by far, but if we lose him then Johnson fron Philly is the 2nd best choice. Granted he's a DC, but this guy has the most NFL experience & he was VERY instrumental in helping Reid become the HC he is today. KNOWLEDGEABLE Eagles fans understand his value & he held that franchise together while Reid LEARNED how to be a HC. He would be ideal in turning this franchise around. Great motivator, very disciplined, strong evaluator of talent, tremendous schemes, GREAT X's & O's guy. Green was surrounded by talent in MN, he won't be here. I don't see him lasting but 3 yrs & we will have 20,000 people in that new stadium!!!!!!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brighteyes
Wasn't it Pascarelli who reported last year that Bryant Johnson wouldn't sign with the Cards for a very long time, as he was annoyed they signed Pace? He reported it less than 24 hours before Johson signed.

Yes.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My response to a few points here:

1. What is new about Pasquarelli's statement. It struck me as same old news, 3 days late. The more I read or see of Pasquarelli the less I take much stock in his "revelations".

2. Green had 3 defensive co-ordinators while he was HC at Minnesota.
A. 1992-1995 ... Tony Dungy. Green hired Dungy who had been DB coach under Marty Schottenheimer (whom he had "mentored" under in Pittsburgh). Dungy left to become HC in Tamba Bay.
B. 1996-1999.... Foge Fazio. In 2000, Fazio resigns and is one of 6 assistant coaches that leaves the team. Fazio states that he is leaving because he feels the situation in Minnesota has been allowed to deteriorate to an almost hopeless state due to lack of proper long tern planning and poor cap management.

C. 2000-2001 ....Emmitt Thomas. Thomas had been DC for Ray Rhodes in Philly from 95-98. Then followed him to Green Bay to be his DC there. He was then available with the purge in Green Bay, who fired Rhodes after only 1 year there.
In 2002, before getting the axe himself, Green was reportedly ready to fire both Thomas and OC Sherman Lewis, whom he had also hired in 2000 after the mass exodus of assistant coaches, blaming them (edited to add: Thomas and Lewis) for the teams "decline".

3. As far as I know, unless a team has only fired the HC, most new, incoming coaches are the one's who decide who their staff is going to be. (with the approval from the front office, which, again, is usually pretty automatic. In fact, I'd even wager that most coaches probably have some kind of clause in their contract pertaining to that.).

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
My response to a few points here:

1. What is new about Pasquarelli's statement. It struck me as same old news, 3 days late. The more I read or see of Pasquarelli the less I take much stock in his "revelations".

2. Green had 3 defensive co-ordinators while he was HC at Minnesota.
A. 1992-1995 ... Tony Dungy. Green hired Dungy who had been DB coach under Marty Schottenheimer (whom he had "mentored" under in Pittsburgh). Dungy left to become HC in Tamba Bay.
B. 1996-1999.... Foge Fazio. In 2000, Fazio resigns and is one of 6 assistant coaches that leaves the team. Fazio states that he is leaving because he feels the situation in Minnesota has been allowed to deteriorate to an almost hopeless state due to lack of proper long tern planning and poor cap management.

Did Green manage the cap or did someone else do that for him in Minnesota? I honestly don't know the answer, I know Green was very much involved in scouting and evaluating talent for the Vikings but I don't know if he was actually doing the contracts as well.

They had a 2-3 year run where they kept losing key defensive guys to money which sounds like what Fazio was complaining about.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
I'm a touch confused. Are you saying that Graves will decide what coordinators Green will hire? He does, by virtue of position offer the final OK... but, the Coach has the predominant say as to who he'll have working under him.

Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear. I meant that Graves has the final say regarding personel decisions. Green had a terrible defense in Minnesota, but drafted and signed only offensive players.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
We will regret hiring Green.

How quickly a desperate franchise can forget what this guy did in Minnesota.

Like leading them to the playoffs 8 out of 10 years with 6 different QB's?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In response to "did Green manage the cap?".

Essentially...Yes.

In 1998 he forced out Jeff Diamond in a power struggle, to become Vice President of Football Operations.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Essentially...Yes.

In 1998 he forced out Jeff Diamond in a power struggle, to become Vice President of Football Operations.

Thanks.

FWIW on 12/30 Pasquarelli wrote a column looking at each opening and predicting who would hire whom. he said we'd hire Dennis Green, of course he said Buffalo would hire Coughlin, the Giants would hire Crennel and the Bears would hire Fassel so he appears to be wrong on at least 2 and I don't think the Bears are going to hire Fassel since he cancelled his visit there so it looks like he got all 3 of those wrong.

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brighteyes

The Cards not waiting to the last minute to sign their picks.

I don't think anyone called that!

Introducing Coach Green

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
QUOTE]Originally posted by Tangodnzr

In 2002, before getting the axe himself, Green was reportedly ready to fire both Thomas and OC Sherman Lewis, whom he had also hired in 2000 after the mass exodus of assistant coaches, blaming them for the teams "decline".

That's not unusual for HC's to do when they are in trouble.Look at Butch Davis in Cleveland this year.He fired his OC and another coach,essentially blaming them for the poor offense.Look at last year in Arizona,Mac even got rid of some coaches.Most of the time that will be the way things go.If Cleveland is terrible next year then Davis will be gone.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score

Essentially...Yes.

Very true. And this after a 15-1 season, for which Diamond received Sporting News "Executive of the Year" honors. Diamond's background in very similar to Graves’ (chief negotiator on up) and if Green had no problems moving out a exec coming off of a 15-1 season, he should have no problem moving out this guy. For the record, that is not a bad thing if you’re a fan of the Cardinals. Bringing in Green provides two things that McGinnis and Graves could not: good assistants and good talent and personnel evaluations. For the record, if the Cards bring in Green, Graves' departure would just be a matter of time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn