Part of the Offensive Philosophy You’d Like to Change?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For my part I’ve been bothered by how the Cards defend the pass rush. It’s particularly a concern when they go with an empty backfield. I don’t understand why the Cards seemingly don’t use hot reads. Simply put, a designated receiver runs a short, pre-designed, quick opening route that allows the QB to rapidly dump the ball. The Cards seem to still go with Murray being responsible for making the first man miss. Other teams are aware of Murray’s tendencies and the result is too often unfavorable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Combination routes.

Too many of our routes seem to be run in isolation where we rely on the WR to straight up beat their man with very few route combinations with routes designed to help someone get open.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For my part I’ve been bothered by how the Cards defend the pass rush. It’s particularly a concern when they go with an empty backfield. I don’t understand why the Cards seemingly don’t use hot reads. Simply put, a designated receiver runs a short, pre-designed, quick opening route that allows the QB to rapidly dump the ball. The Cards seem to still go with Murray being responsible for making the first man miss. Other teams are aware of Murray’s tendencies and the result is too often unfavorable.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We definitely have hot reads in the offense. BTW this clip is Kyler streaming with Cody Ford.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We definitely have hot reads in the offense. BTW this clip is Kyler streaming with Cody Ford.

He's generous there to Andy Isabella. I wouldn't call a hot read a "0.2 second glance at the QB after 5 yards then run a deep post". Andy has to give him his eyes longer there.

This is one of the many little things fans don't appreciate that QB's and Coaches hate on. If you're the hot and you keep messing it up it has big ramifications. I'm not saying Andy is always messing them up, just saying it's not all about stats.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Someone didn‘t know it was a hot read if that was the case. Watch the receiver’s head. He should be looking for the ball as soon as he passes the defender; maybe a 2 count. It just looked like a short, skinny post was called.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone didn‘t know it was a hot read if that was the case. Watch the receiver’s head. He should be looking for the ball as soon as he passes the defender; maybe a 2 count. It just looked like a short, skinny post was called.
They messed it up there for sure, but the main point of the clip was Kyler saying they're drilling hot reads every week.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about execution than I am philosophy.

Just avoid false start penalties, high snaps and other foolish breakdowns and we’ll be OK.
well…. we extended DJ and Hudson is still snapping so…….

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the one change: incorporate more waggle style plays

just feel like this gives K1 so many options and room.

I heard KK say that he appreciates the waggle motion in McVays offense, but that it doesnt fit well with his -- i would love to know why that is

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stop going for fourth down with the ball on the wrong side of the 50 yard line. I don’t care what the analytics say.
I would agree almost entirely with this. But, our D down the stretch last year couldn’t stop a HS offense, so we were forced to take more risks to keep the ball in our hands.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would agree almost entirely with this. But, our D down the stretch last year couldn’t stop a HS offense, so we were forced to take more risks to keep the ball in our hands.
Right, but that D has a better chance defending a longer field than a short one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose