Padres @ Dbacks Series Thread

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, talking heads are always right. That's why they talk and don't make baseball decisions. If they throw enough $hit on the wall, some of it is bound to stick.
I agree but in this case it was pretty darn near unanimous.

sent from a fone

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I agree but in this case it was pretty darn near unanimous.

sent from a fone
Agreed, but looking at his 3 ERA, you can see why they were interested. That being said, I too thought we gave up too much. But at least they seemed to be trying, even though it is blowing up in their faces.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No one else offered that much for Miller, other scouts and front offices probably saw the red flags. Our FO was stupid enough to trade for him and he's nothing but a steaming pile of crap since coming over here. After his second miserable start, I knew something was wrong with this dude.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 but his ERA was in the 3's for that last 3 years. It obviously looks like a bad trade now. Not defending it, just looking at it as they did at the time. Adding him to Greinke with Corbin coming back and a team that scored a ton of runs last year. Looked good on paper, but someone struck a match to it.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Millers FB is 1 MPH slower and is moving less (throwing less cutters?). He's giving up more LDs and HRs because of this. That on top of his lost control make him a pretty poor pitcher. The crapfest of a defense we field behind him makes his ERA look even worse.

Miller is probably a 4.25 ERA SP who is pitching like a 5.50 ERA SP with a defense behind him making him a 7.10+ ERA SP

That baseline wasn't worth the #1 overall pick of 2015. That's why the "talking heads" (meaning other MLB GMs) were baffled by the deal.

That being said, the ownership gave the FO a "compete now" mandate on top of a "spend nothing" mandate. That's why you get what look like desperate trades.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Millers FB is 1 MPH slower and is moving less (throwing less cutters?). He's giving up more LDs and HRs because of this. That on top of his lost control make him a pretty poor pitcher. The crapfest of a defense we field behind him makes his ERA look even worse.

Miller is probably a 4.25 ERA SP who is pitching like a 5.50 ERA SP with a defense behind him making him a 7.10+ ERA SP

That baseline wasn't worth the #1 overall pick of 2015. That's why the "talking heads" (meaning other MLB GMs) were baffled by the deal.

That being said, the ownership gave the FO a "compete now" mandate on top of a "spend nothing" mandate. That's why you get what look like desperate trades.

This is the problem when you go looking for someone to blame. You never know how much of this is going on.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the problem when you go looking for someone to blame. You never know how much of this is going on.

Oh I know who I blame, the constants since 2005. It isn't Melvin, Gibson, Hale, or Byrnes, Towers, Stewart, LaRussa.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oh I know who I blame, the constants since 2005. It isn't Melvin, Gibson, Hale, or Byrnes, Towers, Stewart, LaRussa.

Could it be the guy with the fancy sports card collection?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Went to game yesterday. It still seems like Miller will not adapt well to pitching at home here in the valley. Simply inexcusable losing a 4 run cushion in a single inning. He doesn't seem to have a clue how to pitch here at Chase.

Also it's painfully obvious our lineup has been sorely lacking all season, esp. with the absence of Pollock. Everyone hits in our park but the home team. They need to make multiple moves.

Delgado was also Dog Poooo.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The 2016 Dbacks are the 2015 Padres.

sent from a fone

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Went to game yesterday. It still seems like Miller will not adapt well to pitching at home here in the valley. Simply inexcusable losing a 4 run cushion in a single inning. He doesn't seem to have a clue how to pitch here at Chase.
Steve and BB commented that the only pitch that Miller had was his fastball. And, as expected, by the 4th inning, the Padres were expecting it and going for it on every first pitch. It was like hitting batting practice.

I found that extremely frustrating to listen to. That our supposed #2 pitcher has one Major League pitch and even the Padres knew what to do with it and when.

Is it more important to justify his salary by blindly sticking with him (as with Tomas) or field a team who's playing the best?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve and BB commented that the only pitch that Miller had was his fastball. And, as expected, by the 4th inning, the Padres were expecting it and going for it on every first pitch. It was like hitting batting practice.

I found that extremely frustrating to listen to. That our supposed #2 pitcher has one Major League pitch and even the Padres knew what to do with it and when.

Is it more important to justify his salary by blindly sticking with him (as with Tomas) or field a team who's playing the best?

Please don't put Tomas at Miller's level. Tomas is third in HR, 4th in RBI on the team. Offensively he holds his own. (And yes, his defense needs work, but he is improving)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Please don't put Tomas at Miller's level. Tomas is third in HR, 4th in RBI on the team. Offensively he holds his own. (And yes, his defense needs work, but he is improving)
Oh yeah, a good team can live with a Tomas but defenitely not a Miller.

sent from a fone

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yasmany Tomas is a negative offensive player. Of the top 8 Diamondbacks in PAs this year, he is only ahead of Ahmed in offensive production.

He's a very negative defensive player. Of the top 8 Diamondbacks in Inns, he is ahead of only Brandon Drury in defensive production.

He's going to be making $10M-$17M the next 4 years and is currently the second highest paid player on the team.

I do not understand your personal affection for this guy.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yasmany Tomas is a negative offensive player. Of the top 8 Diamondbacks in PAs this year, he is only ahead of Ahmed in offensive production.

He's a very negative defensive player. Of the top 8 Diamondbacks in Inns, he is ahead of only Brandon Drury in defensive production.

He's going to be making $10M-$17M the next 4 years and is currently the second highest paid player on the team.

Yep! After Miller, Tomas is my least favorite player on this team... A horrendous signing second only to the Miller deal.
I SO want his butt sent packing... [emoji35]

Last edited:

AZ Native

Reaction score

Do you think Drury's defensive problems have been because he was forced into 4 positions in less than 1/2 year in the majors?