Our window starts next year

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Matt Ryan have stretches of games that he has statistically performed better than Tom Brady? Just sayin.

This is fun..we can go round and round. :)

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
The top 5 players who rise to the top seem to be the ones who get it done by elevating the pieces they have.

Andrew Luck did not need a great offensive line to win games for the Colts. The Colts needed to upgrade the offensive line to keep Luck healthy while he was winning games. That is the difference that I am hearing and potentially starting to see. If Kyler CAN'T win without better players, then he should never have been the #1 pick.

Was Luck in the 2019 draft? Was there a player similar to Lucks talent that got by Keim? Luck is probably the best NFL draft pick of the past 10 years. Maybe a team would have picked Cam over him had they been in the same class but that is definitely a good debate. I think Murray could be good enough to elevate the talent around him. I thought there were parallels between his first game and Russ Wilson's first start. I hope he can improve and I think he has shown promise.

I'm surprised at your stance on keeping rosen and adding others positions. I had thought you were off the opinion that qb is such an important position that teams should draft qb first every year until the position of filled.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The thing with Wilson, and I said this at draft time, is he was never even considered a 1st round talent and went in the 3rd for a reason. Seattle got lucky as Wilson is the exception to the rule. Murray has shown flashes and may turn out just fine but I've never been on board with him being selected #1 overall.

The thing I don't get is many here rip on Keim's talent evaluation ability but support his selection of Murray when the Cards were the only team in the league that would've drafted him #1 overall.

Let's hope Murray proves him right and the rest of the NFL wrong.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The thing with Wilson, and I said this at draft time, is he was never even considered a 1st round talent and went in the 3rd for a reason. Seattle got lucky as Wilson is the exception to the rule. Murray has shown flashes and may turn out just fine but I've never been on board with him being selected #1 overall.

The thing I don't get is many here rip on Keim's talent evaluation ability but support his selection of Murray when the Cards were the only team in the league that would've drafted him #1 overall.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Was Luck in the 2019 draft? Was there a player similar to Lucks talent that got by Keim? Luck is probably the best NFL draft pick of the past 10 years. Maybe a team would have picked Cam over him had they been in the same class but that is definitely a good debate. I think Murray could be good enough to elevate the talent around him. I thought there were parallels between his first game and Russ Wilson's first start. I hope he can improve and I think he has shown promise.

I'm surprised at your stance on keeping rosen and adding others positions. I had thought you were off the opinion that qb is such an important position that teams should draft qb first every year until the position of filled.
That is not my stance...where have I said that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I might be confusing you with another poster. What would you have done last off season?
At the time of the draft, I didn't think there was a huge gap between Rosen and Murray. I also didn't think Murray was worthy of being the number 1 pick due to feeling he had a lot of hurdles to overcome. Since then I am confident in saying that Murray is better than Rosen, though I still don't think he has played like a #1 pick. Today vs the Bengals was a nice first step to changing that. We will see what he does to build off of this performance today.

And yes, I am ok with drafting QBs as often as it takes to get it right. QB is pretty much all that matters in the NFL today.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He was a first rd talent but the height stigma was more significant back then. I know that wasn’t your point but he had everything you’d want minus height; accuracy, perfect mechanics, dual threat, leadership, had faced adversity and won big games in college.

Last edited:

egomaniac247

Veteran
Reaction score
Sadly I don't think we're in contention for our division for a while....Not before Kyler's 2nd contract for sure.

Why?

Because the rest of our division settled their QB position before we did. Russel Wilson is only 30 years old in a game where QB's are starting to regularly play til 38-40 years old. Jimmy G is only 27 years old and even if he's not the answer, Nick Mullens looked servicable and he's only 24. The Rams already extended Jared Goff.

So our best scenario IMO is to trade back and forth with the 49ers for 3rd/4th place (keeping in mind that the 49ers are currently undefeated).

I just don't see it sadly. We lack serious talent on offense. Yes, Kyler can make plays with his legs and has a big arm. Yes, David Johnson is a solid RB. But beyond that? Larry's going to retire any time now and despite being our best WR on the roster, I don't think anyone would say he's the guy he was 3-4 years ago. That's an indictment on our current WR's. And don't get me started on the invisible TE position.

Bottom line, the other teams in our division are much better off at almost every position than we are.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sadly I don't think we're in contention for our division for a while....Not before Kyler's 2nd contract for sure.

Why?

Because the rest of our division settled their QB position before we did. Russel Wilson is only 30 years old in a game where QB's are starting to regularly play til 38-40 years old. Jimmy G is only 27 years old and even if he's not the answer, Nick Mullens looked servicable and he's only 24. The Rams already extended Jared Goff.

So our best scenario IMO is to trade back and forth with the 49ers for 3rd/4th place (keeping in mind that the 49ers are currently undefeated).

I just don't see it sadly. We lack serious talent on offense. Yes, Kyler can make plays with his legs and has a big arm. Yes, David Johnson is a solid RB. But beyond that? Larry's going to retire any time now and despite being our best WR on the roster, I don't think anyone would say he's the guy he was 3-4 years ago. That's an indictment on our current WR's. And don't get me started on the invisible TE position.

Bottom line, the other teams in our division are much better off at almost every position than we are.
That's why they play the game man. But in general..and on paper, that seems to be the case for now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Why?

Need a Rams like off season

They drafted COoper Kupp in the 3rd round, signed Robert Woods for cheap, and traded a 2nd for Sammy Watkins (eventually getting Brandon Cooks) and got Whitworth at LT.

So nail a draft pick, find a very under the radar pass catcher, get big time talent via FA/trade and find another vet on the OLine.

The hope is that guys like Andy/Butler were just a year away. Next year they become really useful in the offense. Maybe get an OJ Howard in a trade and add another good lineman from FA.

We just need that great off season/progression.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know Tonto, we as in you and Scout. Me and Silver will sit back and watch. ;)
Just consider this:

Dan Reid ( the Lone Ranger's nephew) was related to Britt Reid (aka the Green Hornet). (No truth to the rumor that they're related in some way to Kyler Murray).

For what it's worth: author of both The Lone Ranger and Green Hornet was Fran Striker

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Why?

I agree. I had SF winning the division this year and I think they will be good for a long time. Seattle and the rams will hover in the 8-8 9-7 range for the next 5 years or so. I don’t know how the cards fit in this division. Need 2 years of solid drafts with FA help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still not 100% sold on Jimmy G..

But he has the benefit of Shanahan who is a great NFL play caller.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Just consider this:

Dan Reid ( the Lone Ranger's nephew) was related to Britt Reid (aka the Green Hornet). (No truth to the rumor that they're related in some way to Kyler Murray).

For what it's worth: author of both The Lone Ranger and Green Hornet was Fran Striker

I did not know this. Very interesting and I mean that. I bet with a little digging you can find all sorts of tidbits like this especially back in those days.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard