Our Wildcat... Plus, Good News/Bad News

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
A few things I wanted to throw out there...

First, our offensive coordinator put two home-run hitters (PP and LaRod) in our version of the Wildcat. This seems pretty innovative to me, and I'd like to see this formation two or three times a game. Anybody not like it, or think that it will be easy to scheme for once it's broken down in the film room? Mitch?

Also:

Good news---- William Gay has been serviceable at the nickle CB position, not the nightmare that many of us foresaw. On one important 3rd down NE incompletion, where the announcer said "the ball went right through Welker's hands" I think Gay actually tipped the ball, ever so slightly, when he made a last second lunge into the passing lane. Big, big, BIG play by #22.

Bad news---- Schofield was MIA in the NE game. I just rewatched the whole thing, and I don't' think he made any tackles. Not good when NE ran the ball like 30 times or whatever. I hate to say it, but he may be turning into a liability.

Anyway, really, really, looking forward to Sunday's game. Man, that's going to be big time fun. Thanks to all of you guys who make to the stadium to support the team in person.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

First, our offensive coordinator put two home-run hitters (PP and LaRod) in our version of the Wildcat. This seems pretty innovative to me, and I'd like to see this formation two or three times a game. Anybody not like it, or think that it will be easy to scheme for once it's broken down in the film room? Mitch?

Also:

Good news---- William Gay has been serviceable at the nickle CB position, not the nightmare that many of us foresaw. On one important 3rd down NE incompletion, where the announcer said "the ball went right through Welker's hands" I think Gay actually tipped the ball, ever so slightly, when he made a last second lunge into the passing lane. Big, big, BIG play by #22.

Bad news---- Schofield was MIA in the NE game. I just rewatched the whole thing, and I don't' think he made any tackles. Not good when NE ran the ball like 30 times or whatever. I hate to say it, but he may be turning into a liability.

Anyway, really, really, looking forward to Sunday's game. Man, that's going to be big time fun. Thanks to all of you guys who make to the stadium to support the team in person.
agreed on Gay. He's been quite impressive already. Definitely helps that he's familiar with Horton already. You're also correct on Scho, he didn't have a single tackle which is definitely concerning. I will pay closer attention to him on Sunday. I'm not gonna give up on the guy just yet though. Horton was raving about the guy in camp/preseason, I'm still hoping he shows up. If not, Groves has looked pretty damn good and I think he could take the spot over

I also love the fact that they paired both of our explosive return men on the wildcat. Either is always an open-field threat and it's exciting anytime they touch the ball

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not to make excuses, but Schofield's knee has been bothering him since training camp.

He hasn't looked good, but the semi-emergence of Groves relieves some of the concerns.

With all the handwringing about mistakes the front office makes and "coaching" mistakes, the Cards during the Whisenhunt era are probably in the best span this team has ever gone through. We have more depth and more talent than in the any other time in the 20+ years I've watched them team, and that's by a wide margin.

10 years ago, the aggregate talent of the team was probably equal to our secondary now (4 good players on the entire team!)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also:

If they actually turn that Wildcat into a passing threat, it will become VERY difficult to stop. Teams are very worried about PP and the threat on the ground. One of these times, he will need to throw the ball and make a big play, or I fear that teams will figure it out.

The Wes Welker play, I think that Welker couldn't see the ball because Gay was in perfect position and by the time he located the ball, it went right through his hands. I don't think Gay tipped it at all. Even so, it was still an important play in the game.

I don't remember Schofield in the game at all either, and that usually isn't a good thing as a defender, unless you are a Safety or Nose tackle.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If they actually turn that Wildcat into a passing threat, it will become VERY difficult to stop. Teams are very worried about PP and the threat on the ground. One of these times, he will need to throw the ball and make a big play, or I fear that teams will figure it out.

The Wes Welker play, I think that Welker couldn't see the ball because Gay was in perfect position and by the time he located the ball, it went right through his hands. I don't think Gay tipped it at all. Even so, it was still an important play in the game.

I don't remember Schofield in the game at all either, and that usually isn't a good thing as a defender, unless you are a Safety or Nose tackle.
I actually watched that play in slow motion from like 3 angles and he did indeed tip that ball. It wasn't by much but it was just enough of a direction change to make it go above Welker's hands.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
agreed. Gay was right in the line of sight for Welker
This doesn't make sense. If he was blocking Welker's view of the ball than the ball would have hit him. He just simply grazed the ball with his hand at the very last moment.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not to make excuses, but Schofield's knee has been bothering him since training camp.

He hasn't looked good, but the semi-emergence of Groves relieves some of the concerns.

With all the handwringing about mistakes the front office makes and "coaching" mistakes, the Cards during the Whisenhunt era are probably in the best span this team has ever gone through. We have more depth and more talent than in the any other time in the 20+ years I've watched them team, and that's by a wide margin.

10 years ago, the aggregate talent of the team was probably equal to our secondary now (4 good players on the entire team!)

We can thank the new stadium for that. CKW is the only Head Coach we've had who only coached the team while the Cardinals had their own stadium and Dollar Bill wasn't minding the store. That has to be a huge advantage over every other HC the Cardinals have ever had.

So is the cash generated by the Stadium. Which is now allowing the team to get extensions done that they couldn't afford in the past and pay for a better scouting department, better assistant coaches, and training facilities.

But it wasn't that long ago the new Cards lost 15 of 18 games so the front office and coaches deserved a lot of the criticism they have been receiving and I'm still not sold on the talent on the offense being that great outside of Fitzgerald. I'd say the 2007-2009 teams had better talent on offense and not just because they had Kurt Warner at QB. But this is probably the best talent we've seen on defense in Arizona as well as in our second tier players.

I know it sure as heck is fun to see our guys on TV and have them actually look like NFL players instead of 10 years ago when our Defensive linemen looked like LBs, LBs like Safeties, Safeties like CBs and CBs like college freshmen.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They should go to a power goaline formation with Heap and Housler as the TEs qnd sherman at FB with PP taking the snap. They can either try to open a gap for PP to bust off a huge one or they can fake it and try and hit Heap or Housler (seam route)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Also:

not really bad news with Scho because we have depth if he cannot perform...I would actually like to see PP throw a pass to Fitz because it would not have to be perfect for the alien to snag it :)

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not really bad news with Scho because we have depth if he cannot perform...I would actually like to see PP throw a pass to Fitz because it would not have to be perfect for the alien to snag it :)
have u ever seen him throwing the ball in college?
i remember rolle throwing a long deep pass to fitz in end zone but he dropped..was a playoff game against atlanta or philadelphia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard