OT: Why no gorilla (football) teams?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I've been YouTube binging on Silverback Gorilla videos lately and it got me to wondering why there essentially aren't any sports teams named after this fierce, aggressive, powerful, intimidating creature? Especially football teams. Pittsburgh State seems to be the only one. Not sure why they paired a gorilla with McDonald's colors though. Sort of defeats the purpose IMO.

Not all gorillas or even all silverbacks are fierce looking but the one's that are...sheesh! These guys are the kings of their castles and you don't F with them. Why so many birds and cartoon characters before gorillas?
You must be registered for see images attach

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I don't feel like we are at this point yet... Are we?? We just finished up the draft and rookie mini camp starts up soon.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I've been YouTube binging on Silverback Gorilla videos lately and it got me to wondering why there essentially aren't any sports teams named after this fierce, aggressive, powerful, intimidating creature? Especially football teams. Pittsburgh State seems to be the only one. Not sure why they paired a gorilla with McDonald's colors though. Sort of defeats the purpose IMO.

Not all gorillas or even all silverbacks are fierce looking but the one's that are...sheesh! These guys are the kings of their castles and you don't F with them. Why so many birds and cartoon characters before gorillas?

Uh, maybe because of all the connotations of racial slurs from days past... though I agree, the gorilla is a majestic powerful creature and John Brown's college mascot was the Gorillas

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Uh, maybe because of all the connotations of racial slurs from days past... though I agree, the gorilla is a majestic powerful creature and John Brown's college mascot was the Gorillas
I didn't really want to bring that up as an option because I thought it reflected on me more than the reality but I agree. There are far too few examples of primates as mascots for it to just be coincidence. Racial powder keg must be a part of it in some way.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Both Gorillas and Silverbacks are pretty common team names in youth football

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I didn't really want to bring that up as an option because I thought it reflected on me more than the reality but I agree. There are far too few examples of primates as mascots for it to just be coincidence. Racial powder keg must be a part of it in some way.

I do not have a problem bringing it up and do not see it as offensive in your post at all because I am not a racist, you are not a racist, and I would venture to say this forum as a whole is not racist and merely acknowledging the ignorant racists who unfortunately still cling to their unwarranted inclinations... making the use of such a noble being tentative

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I actually liked the 'Gunslingers' mascot and uniforms when San Antonio was part of the USFL... my uncle Pete, who was often a stand in for Western movies, was actually the model they tailor for their desperado with his outrageous mustache, but we all know the PC people would not like that mascot and the use of the word gun lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Brown's college, Pittsburg St., in Kansas are the Gorillas. we also had a pretty good RB named Ron Moore who came from college in the early 90s.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
John Brown's college, Pittsburg St., in Kansas are the Gorillas. we also had a pretty good RB named Ron Moore who came from college in the early 90s.

"pretty good" is really being generous. I guess it goes to show just how bad we were back then that a guy that barely did anything gets that before his name. No I'm not kidding, and yes I still remember the void he filled when Hearst went down. Doesn't change the fact he wasn't all that great. Stats don't lie:

http://www.nfl.com/player/ronaldmoore/2502191/careerstats

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"pretty good" is really being generous. I guess it goes to show just how bad we were back then that a guy that barely did anything gets that before his name. No I'm not kidding, and yes I still remember the void he filled when Hearst went down. Doesn't change the fact he wasn't all that great. Stats don't lie:

http://www.nfl.com/player/ronaldmoore/2502191/careerstats

Come on. "Pretty good" is not exactly saying he's great. The only reason I remember the guy is the only Cardinals game I took my grandfather to was a game against the Giants. Probably the best game of his career as he got over 100 yds and had a TD. My Grandpa was so happy because he actually went to that tiny college in Kansas.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to get all nerdy here but the common misconception about gorillas is how fierce they are, which they can be if a silverback is challenged or the band is threatened but in general gorillas are quite gentle. The ape that is fierce to the point of being psychotic are chimps. But thanks to movies like King Kong and The Planet of the Apes they tend to get these 2 apes backward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chimpanzee can be pretty violent. Why not name a team name the chimps? :D

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Gorillas definitely aren't as aggressive as chimps or babboons but they look cool as hell. ;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. "Pretty good" is not exactly saying he's great. The only reason I remember the guy is the only Cardinals game I took my grandfather to was a game against the Giants. Probably the best game of his career as he got over 100 yds and had a TD. My Grandpa was so happy because he actually went to that tiny college in Kansas.

Agree. We liked Ron Moore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Back before the cardinals moved to az I used to dream of an expansion team. The two names I arrived upon:

Rhinos

Coyotes (before the Winnipeg jets moved to az)

I designed two helmets. The rhinos were gun metal gray and orange (a combination that hadn’t been used, to my knowledge, in sports) and the coyotes were Black and Tan.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson