OT: The Worst Owner in the NFL

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit owner Ford dubbed worst in NFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-Ford-Sr-dubbed-worst-in-NFL-by-Forbes-110311

Detroit Lions boss William Clay Ford Sr. has been named as the NFL's worst owner by Forbes.

The unwelcome label was the result of the Lions being the only NFL team to lose money in 2010, according to Forbes.

As the average NFL franchise generated an 8 percent growth in team value over the past five years, Ford's team has witnessed a three percent drop.

Combined in Forbes' formula for ranking the 32 NFL owners was each team's record over the past five seasons. The measure did not bode well for a Detroit team that, despite an on-field resurgence in 2011, won just 18 games from 2006 through 2010, including an 0-16 run in 2008.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Detroit owner Ford dubbed worst in NFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-Ford-Sr-dubbed-worst-in-NFL-by-Forbes-110311

Detroit Lions boss William Clay Ford Sr. has been named as the NFL's worst owner by Forbes.

The unwelcome label was the result of the Lions being the only NFL team to lose money in 2010, according to Forbes.

As the average NFL franchise generated an 8 percent growth in team value over the past five years, Ford's team has witnessed a three percent drop.

Combined in Forbes' formula for ranking the 32 NFL owners was each team's record over the past five seasons. The measure did not bode well for a Detroit team that, despite an on-field resurgence in 2011, won just 18 games from 2006 through 2010, including an 0-16 run in 2008.
It's irrelevant today. With the improvements the team made this year, they're making money today. That will not be the case in the 2011 season. May be Bidwill

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Bidwill is the worst and it ain't even close. Ford has done very well to build a solid team for the next decade.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Bidwill is the worst and it ain't even close. Ford has done very well to build a solid team for the next decade.
If the poll was dedicated to the team, rather than the business aspect, the Bidwill's would have to be one of the worst, if not the worst owners in the league.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, the Bidwill family has been around playing football and hosting football since before most of our grandparents were even around to watch it. Don't care what any of ya'll say, something to be said about longevity.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Forbes is forumla used profit.

The Cards with their new stadium have been making money. Last year they cut payroll to save for the lockout, hence making even more money.

So with the Forbes ranking system, the Cards are sitting in the middle of the pack.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, the Bidwill family has been around playing football and hosting football since before most of our grandparents were even around to watch it. Don't care what any of ya'll say, something to be said about longevity.

That is a very good point. McDonald's food is awful but they've made a ton of money selling it and have stayed in business a long time.

The Bidwills may be clueless when it comes to player evaluation, contracts, and relationships, but they did manage to stay in business for many years before the huge TV contracts made it almost impossible for a team to fail.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Honestly, call it lowered expectations for the Cardinals if you want, but I think Sarver is worse. Or at least I want him out more...

It's an interesting question, though. I have been very critical of the Bidwills over the years, and remain so. But the establishment likes them for continually going with what was (felt to be) best for the league over the years.

Fortunately, the results on the field are easy to quantify, and the Lions and Cardinals are definitely down there. The Cards have about 100 more losses, but some of that is mitigated be having been around for a decade longer. The Lions have never made the Super Bowl; the Cards are 0-1. The Lions have 4 NFL championships; the Cards have 2*. The Lions are 7-10 in the playoffs; the Cards are 6-7.

Ugh, the winner in the argument is still a loser.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, call it lowered expectations for the Cardinals if you want, but I think Sarver is worse. Or at least I want him out more...

It's an interesting question, though. I have been very critical of the Bidwills over the years, and remain so. But the establishment likes them for continually going with what was (felt to be) best for the league over the years.

Fortunately, the results on the field are easy to quantify, and the Lions and Cardinals are definitely down there. The Cards have about 100 more losses, but some of that is mitigated be having been around for a decade longer. The Lions have never made the Super Bowl; the Cards are 0-1. The Lions have 4 NFL championships; the Cards have 2*. The Lions are 7-10 in the playoffs; the Cards are 6-7.

And that is why whenever we would play the Lions at SDS we'd yell "Your Team is Worse Than Ours" at the 7 Lions fans that came to the game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Who is Sarver?

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I read the article and it is an absolute joke that the Bidwills are not in the bottom ten. They are the worst owners in the NFL, bar none!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard