OT the DeShaun Watson trade stuff

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Russ Smith, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

On a UCLA board I'm on someone was saying they think the trade that nobody seems to be talking about that would make a ton of sense would be Watson to the Cards for Kyler Murray. They had other things involved but the general idea was, Watson would be reunited with Hopkins, and Murray would go home to Texas.

I weighed in as a Cards fan and said the only way that would even remotely make sense is if the Cards thought Murray was somewhat likely to abandon football for baseball at some point, and if that were the case, Houston would have no interest.

Watson's salary absolutely goes ballistic after this year, up to 16 million next year and then 40, 42, 37 and 32 the next 4 years. It would make no sense at all for the Cards to trade Murray on a rookie contract for Watson unless they either don't think Murray will stick to football, or they think Watson is dramatically better and that's just not apparent to me. Better thrower, not as good or as willing a runner, already had major knee surgery, 2 years older and again very close to a huge contract bump.

I came here expecting to see at least some discussion on him but I guess not or I missed the thread. As long as the 49ers don't get him I actually hope he does get moved if he wants to go, if I had to guess I'd say the most logical ones are the Broncos or Falcons. Broncos several good young WR's, history of being good, has a young QB they can throw in plus a draft pick. Atlanta has the draft pick at 4 that would almost guarantee Houston could get a QB if they made the deal.

I don't fully understand the cap implications if they trade Watson, how much dead cap they get etc. People were saying Miami but they already said they are keeping Tua.

It is pretty remarkable if it happens, you just don't see guys at 25-26 years old, in their prime, get moved.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

no chance

3. Russ Smith

That's my take too it makes no sense again unless we were worried about baseball and if we were, he would be impossible to trade evreyone else would have the same concern.

I wouldn't do the deal anyways I prefer Kyler, better runner, we can talk he's smaller and might get hurt but so far of the 2 one has had ACL surgery and one hasn't. Watson has a tendency to hold the ball much longer which means he gets hit far more often.

I think Watson is great and if he does want out I hope it happens, but I have to admit I hadn't even thought of it with the Cards until this guy said that. Seems largely based on Kyler from Texas and Hopkins back with Watson.

I have not seen anybody discussing this but on the UCLA board and the ones that were discussing it frankly had no real insight.

4. Minski

Minski Registered

Trade CJ, trade P2, trade Murray, trade anyone who is any good on the team

5. Russ Smith

6. Russ Smith

To be clear I have no interest in trading Murray.

PACardsFan and vince56 like this.
  7. Minski

Minski Registered

I know :) it’s these stories continuously coming up about trading our best players all the time that get me

CardNots, vince56 and Russ Smith like this.
  8. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

lol...straight up?...see ya Kyler.

9. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Mitch will make an article out of anything wtf

10. Card'em

Card'em Registered

Mitch is "out there" sometimes and this this time he's in orbit.

Chris_Sanders, PACardsFan and Finito like this.
  11. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

daves, Russ Smith and Finito like this.
  12. Finito

Finito Registered

Houston is going to want a ton of draft picks and that’s a big no.

we need weapons for our own young QB.

Mitch is a clown

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  13. vince56

vince56 Registered

No way we make this trade in a contracting year like this. With revenues down, you don't trade a good QB on a rookie deal for a player maybe 10-20 % better that is owed $150 million. Straight up, that deal heavily favors Houston.

Keep in mind, Kyler being on a rookie deal means we have MUCH more cap space to build around him. I would not get behind this trade unless you knew for sure Watson was 100% the missing piece to this roster as it is now to win a super bowl.

Not with this set of WRs, DL, and DBs that all need serious upgrades. Hard pass.

14. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Trading Watson is worse than trading Hopkins.

15. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Trade makes sense, but MB and Keim aren't famous for their "spirit of adventure" (although the drafting and trading of Rosen to make room for Murray might signal the dawn of a bright new age).

I just think it would be too grandiose a move to fit in with the Cardinal culture under Keim and Bidwill.