OT: KPIX reporter who dared to question Singletary removed.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sing is NOT head coach material.
Hopefully the 49rs take another 4-5 years to figure that out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paper says the show is part of a "contracted partnership" between KPIX and the 49ers and thus the team gets editorial input and is thus allowed to have O'Donnell removed. Singletary apologized for his rant, but apparently wasn't sorry enough to suggest O'Donnell be retained.

He's a local news guy for KPIX, does Sports, seems to be a nice guy has been here for years, and the general impression is Singletary is the bad guy in this story.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to the interview and O'Donell did nothing wrong. Singletary was being a complete jackass for the entire interview.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
OT: It's not a discussion for P&R because the 9ers and the NFL are private companies that can allow or deny access to reporters as they please (provided it's not discrimination).

The NFL could penalize Singletary, but the government couldn't.
True, I just have a problem with a news channel partnering with a private company to get the word out about that team in a way the team wants.

Its is not news and should not air on the news... The news channel is acting as a PR firm in this instance...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interview... Anyone have a link? It was unavailable via the link above.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to the interview and O'Donell did nothing wrong. Singletary was being a complete jackass for the entire interview.

Absolutely, he didn't want to answer the questions but he was a real idiot about it.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Newsflash: anymore the media is largely just a PR channel anyways. (Take it from me; I'm in PR :))
I know, it still pisses me off... I went to college for brodcast news and opted not to work in the field because of this crap...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, this is absurd. The guy kept lobbing softballs and Singletary kept swinging and missing. He took every single question the wrong way and the interviewer bent over backwards to make Sing look good but Mike wouldn't get out of his own way. I thought the guy did a darned good job of being a Singletary apologist in that interview and he gets canned because the coach's rage kept him from understanding the questions.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, this is absurd. The guy kept lobbing softballs and Singletary kept swinging and missing. He took every single question the wrong way and the interviewer bent over backwards to make Sing look good but Mike wouldn't get out of his own way. I thought the guy did a darned good job of being a Singletary apologist in that interview and he gets canned because the coach's rage kept him from understanding the questions.

Steve

I think it would be great if O'Donnell sued but I doubt he has legal grounds. HIs real job as sports guy on KPIX is still there.

When Ann Killion ticked off Mike Nolan a few years ago it made her career, she's on local cable tv shows now all the time, don't know if O'Donnell has that aspiration or not.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Normally, I would be against this. Then I think about Dan Bickley...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally, I would be against this. Then I think about Dan Bickley...

This guy was nothing like Dan Bickley. Think Ahmad Rashad with all his hard hitting interviews and then soften it by several notches. This guy had his lips firmly planted on Singletary's butt and Mike was too stupid or too enraged to realize it.

Steve

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the reporter could petition to have Singletary removed...but that might not be good for the Cards

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A co-worker was just complaining to me the other day about some of the homers we have on our radio stations here. He said he was listening to a show (he thought it was Burns and Calvisi)...and Burns said something negative about the D-Backs (either the whole team or a specific player). Then there was a commercial break and after the break Burns came back on and apologized for his tone and for what he said about the team/player.

I didn't hear this exchange but have no reason to doubt him.

I can't stand homer sports coverage. Tell it like it is, or like you see it, and never apologize for your personal opinion. :bang:

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I just saw the video. It was apparent that Singletary was in a bad mood (or just being Singletary). O'Donnell did nothing wrong but ask the questions his audience wants answers to: mostly the communication stuff. Apparently, Singletary wants to forget about the past game all together and move forward. Wonder how he's going to handle the next interview. Cant ask about the New Orleans game because they failed in that one and he wants to pretend it never happened.

wonder how Whisenhunt would deal with a situation like this. He would have addressed it head on in a constructive manner and debunk any myths or rumors swirling around. Mike is way too emotional sometimes. This is why he isnt the prototypical coach. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and expects everyone to do the same. The best coaches in this league are the ones who can stay even keeled even in the face of adversity. Rare are those who are hard asses that could manipulate players with a dominant personality and succeed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Singletary said he was "baited" by the reporter :doi:. When you have to burn TO's ,get delay penalties,and obvioulsy had communication issues that were widely reported, how did the reporter bait him by asking if they'd be addressed this week ???????????????? Gruden said on MNF that pop warner teams shouldn't have that issue much less a NFL team. I guess he'll be barred from future Niners MNF games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard