OT: Hall Of Fame Ballot 2019

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
OK, folks, now it's time to pretend you're 167 years old and hasn't watched a live baseball game since Nap Lajoie played against Stuffy McGinnis, i.e. you're a member of the BBWAA. https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2019.shtml
IMO:

1. Shoe-ins:

Edgar Martinez (final year, 70% in 2018). Had more RBI in 18 seasons than Omar Vizquel had in 24 seasons. .923 OPS ain't shabby, either.

Mike Mussina (6th year, 64% 2018). Big jump in votes from 2017. 5-time All-Star, 7 Gold Gloves. Win total is lower at 270, but 3.6 ERA during the Roid Era may have altered that.

2. More "no" than "yes:"

Roger Clemens (7th year, 57% 2018). Did I say "roids?" He's hovered around that 45-55% range for a few years, and time in running out. With 354 wins and a 3.12 ERA, he's got the numbers. But he also has the track marks on his butt. He'll have to probably wait until the Veterans' Comm looks him over.

Barroid Bonds (7th year, 56% 2018). Apparently one of the side effects of The Cream and The Clear is that it turns you into an a**hole I realize HoF votes shouldn't be denied due to off-field issues, but even Junk Bonds' teammates hated him. Bonds' time alone in Pittsburgh was probably enough to get him in, but he was like Icarus and his wings of horse lasix melted.

Mariano Rivera (1st year). He'll get the freshman snub from the elderhostlers. But over time, ya just can't argue with 652 saves.

3. Walkin' the plank:

Larry Walker (9th year, 34% 2018). You're beginning to see the Curse Of Coors Canaveral.

Fred McGriff (final year, 23%). Exact opposite of Barroid--above-average numbers, but one of the cool guys in the game. Who can't like a dude who gets the nickname "Crime Dog" and owns it like a man!

Sammy Sooser and Andruw Jones (7th year, 7% each 2018). Steroid Sosa...have you seen his face lately? He looks like a garden gnome took over his skull. Jones can't get in because he can't spell "Andrew" correctly.

4. First year players who will make the 5% cut this time:

Rivera, Todd Helton, Miguel Tejada, maybe Andy Pettite.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martinez - yes
Mussina - yes
Rivera - yes

Rest no

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bonds - yes, GOAT (don’t @ me)

Edgar - yes, played in the homer-dome for years but had nearly identical numbers on the road (unlike Helton)

Mussina - yes, 80+ WAR and postseason success

Walker/Helton - both power numbers spiked @ Coors but I think Helton was a more natural hitter

Rivera - yes

Andruw Jones - I think yes b/c he had a 10-year streak of being an incredible CF and an OPS north of .900 - but I think his deterioration after 30 will keep him out

McGriff - like Jones probably held on too long hurting his career averages. Both guys had lots of postseason success though

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of the players listed only Rivera and Mussina. I just can't bring myself to hop on the Bonds bandwagon.

Edgar Martinez was a good player but to me sunbathing doesn't feel quite right putting him in the hall

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard