OT: Frank Reich won’t commit to Carson Wentz as Colts’ starting quarterback in 2022

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frank Reich won’t commit to Carson Wentz as Colts’ starting quarterback in 2022​

A day after a stunning loss to the worst team in the league knocked the Colts out of playoff contention, coach Frank Reich declined to commit to Carson Wentz as his starting quarterback in 2022.

Asked if Wentz will be the starting quarterback next season, Reich wouldn’t answer.

“We loved the team we had this year, we knew everyone we brought in this year, we expected to play winning football,” Reich said, via Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star. “Next year’s roster will be next year’s roster. I don’t want to open it up about one player and then start talking about all of them.”

That’s a very different answer than Reich gave a year ago, when he was asked whether the Colts wanted to keep Philip Rivers.

“As I sit here right now, yes, I want Philip Rivers to be my starting quarterback next year,” Reich said at the end of last season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frank Reich won’t commit to Carson Wentz as Colts’ starting quarterback in 2022​

A day after a stunning loss to the worst team in the league knocked the Colts out of playoff contention, coach Frank Reich declined to commit to Carson Wentz as his starting quarterback in 2022.

Asked if Wentz will be the starting quarterback next season, Reich wouldn’t answer.

“We loved the team we had this year, we knew everyone we brought in this year, we expected to play winning football,” Reich said, via Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star. “Next year’s roster will be next year’s roster. I don’t want to open it up about one player and then start talking about all of them.”

That’s a very different answer than Reich gave a year ago, when he was asked whether the Colts wanted to keep Philip Rivers.

“As I sit here right now, yes, I want Philip Rivers to be my starting quarterback next year,” Reich said at the end of last season.

They won quite a few games this year in spite of Carson so it doesn't surprise me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you?
Not just no.

Problem is, they were too good to get a blue chip draft pick without giving up a ton of capital.

They will have issues finding someone on the free market better than what they already have for an immediate boost.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the Colts are stuck with an obscene dead cap number if they cut Wentz loose, but they'll likely bring in some kind of competition for him that is a little more relevant than...

...checks notes...

...Sam Ehlinger? What is that?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Colts are stuck with an obscene dead cap number if they cut Wentz loose, but they'll likely bring in some kind of competition for him that is a little more relevant than...

...checks notes...

...Sam Ehlinger? What is that?
I think their only real option is in the draft, or a retreat like Cam.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think their only real option is in the draft, or a retreat like Cam.
What if they went into the year with Wentz and Baker Mayfield? How wild would that be?

Teddy Two Gloves, Famous Jameis, Tyrod Taylor, and Marcus Mariota would all be interesting options in Indy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if they went into the year with Wentz and Baker Mayfield? How wild would that be?

Teddy Two Gloves, Famous Jameis, Tyrod Taylor, and Marcus Mariota would all be interesting options in Indy.

I would like to see Tyrod here if for some strange reason the Cards and Colt go separate ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA