OT: Brian Flores Suing NFL Alleging Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Citing the firing of Wilks after one horrible year without any other facts is pretty weak. Joe Judge and a host of other 1 year terminations fly in the face of this bogus charge, and I'm not talking about the general allegation of racism, only the citing of the Wilks firing as evidence.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm seeing reports that Flores lawsuit is citing the Cardinals firing Wilks as example of racism in the NFL
In all honesty that’s a piss poor example, given their track record for hiring minorities. Wilkes was a poor choice & exactly why he’s been out if the league

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
In all honesty that’s a piss poor example, given their track record for hiring minorities. Wilkes was a poor choice & exactly why he’s been out if the league
Wilkes was a bad hire...he had a bad team...but it was clear he was a bad hire. Flores got absolutely screwed in Miami.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wilks should have been gone. Kliff was a head scratching choice. Keim chose the worst QB in 2018. All can be true.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I like the drama though. Pressure on Keim. Force Kliff to bring in outside mind to help with the offense. Although I do fear this forces them to keep Vance.

Edit: Hmm maybe Miami thinks about Vance now.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if the Dolphins now feel pressured to hire a black head coach (maybe Vance gets back into the mix) to get the spotlight a bit off of them.
Definitely, even more if the owner is targeting again the 1st pick in the draft

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Wilkes was a bad hire...he had a bad team...but it was clear he was a bad hire. Flores got absolutely screwed in Miami.
Totally agree on both takes. I did read a couple of days after his firing there were rumors of heated disagreements between Flores & Tua. Hmmmm maybe that played a factor?

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a few thing pop out on this:

1. Just enough first hand inside scoop (Belichek texts, the Stephen Ross stories, the Elway story) to make this stay in the news beyond just the allegations.

2. By naming the entire NFL and showing an alleged fact pattern across the league -- this feels like an invitation to other black coaches to make it a class action lawsuit -- which would terrify the NFL imo. (note: while I've had more legal experience than I care for, I am not a lawyer -- love for an attorney to weigh in here).

3. The threat of discovery alone might compel a giant settlement from the NFL.
I am not an attorney but I did attend law school, ( before I ran out of money and had to drop out). In my opinion these allegations will be hard to prove. Without direct witnesses or some sort of smoking gun for evidence ( which they very well might have ) it seems to me to be a reach. The thing is if some judge allows it to go to trial anything could happen. Juries like to stick it to rich people and corporations when given the opportunity. Some big shot lawyer might be looking to get in the news and force a settlement. Who knows?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My take again is will a black coach be hired this year? As I stated on my earlier post there were 9 HC openings and 4 have been filled by white coaches. Only Josh McDaniels had any head coaching experience which was a disaster with Denver. Per the Rooney rule the interviews are taking place. Why aren't any of them being hired? :bang:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If its true i would have fired him too, delegitimize your qb in the middle of the season isn't a leader action
The interesting part is that Lombardi is really good friends with Bill. Between him putting that out there and then Bill's text probably sent him over the edge.

If its true then yea he should have been fired.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they were already going to hire someone else, and Flores was only there to fill a quota, and the Broncos showed they didn't care about the interview, and made a mockery of it, then yes, racism as it relates to the Rooney Rule.

And maybe the Giants had already met the Rooney Rule before meeting with Flores, and a lack of respect and racism are two very different things. He's got one in the bag; not sure how he turns it into #2.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wilks should have been gone. Kliff was a head scratching choice. Keim chose the worst QB in 2018. All can be true.

I like the drama though. Pressure on Keim. Force Kliff to bring in outside mind to help with the offense. Although I do fear this forces them to keep Vance.

Edit: Hmm maybe Miami thinks about Vance now.

That Packers team was hot trash…

Idk what happened with Wilks and whether or not he deserved another year. It seemed like the players supported him publicity after the last game but the team was so unwatchable that they couldn’t run it back.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That Packers team was hot trash…

Idk what happened with Wilks and whether or not he deserved another year. It seemed like the players supported him publicity after the last game but the team was so unwatchable that they couldn’t run it back.
Maybe Josh Rosen is the worst QB of all time?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross Flores off the list to replace Kliff after next season (if he's fired)
I have ZERO doubt of widespread racism in the NFL, but there was a Grand Canyon sized difference between Wilks’ first year 3-13 disaster with a rookie QB and Kliff’s 5-10-1 first year with a rookie QB.

And that’s even coming from a guy who questions Kliff’s coaching abilities.

Gotta find better examples than that one. I knew the entire SEASON was over before halftime of Game 1 of the Wilks error.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
The University of Missouri hired Wilks as their defensive coordinator last season and their defense was horrendous. They had no ability to stop the run and had one of the worst run defenses in the country. I really thought that he was going to get canned again after one year at the college level. Actually feel sorry for the guy, but it's a competitive business.

Reactions: PJ1
Status
Not open for further replies.