Oklahoman article on Kingsbury to Cardinals

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a coach get a free pass on his record like Kingsbury has. Why does everyone make excuses for this guy?

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to recruit to Lubbock is tough, didn't have many good players to work with.....

It's not easy, but others have done it in the past and were able to win more than Kliff. I think the guy is just not wired for the recruiting game like a typical college coach. NFL game just might be a better fit for him. He won't have to worry about recruiting.

Sure sounds like the Cardinals GM is going to help him find a much better DC than he ever had in Lubbock. Better DC plus no recruiting burden = possibly much better success for Kliff. We will see how it goes!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's not easy, but others have done it in the past and were able to win more than Kliff. I think the guy is just not wired for the recruiting game like a typical college coach. NFL game just might be a better fit for him. He won't have to worry about recruiting.

Sure sounds like the Cardinals GM is going to help him find a much better DC than he ever had in Lubbock. Better DC plus no recruiting burden = possibly much better success for Kliff. We will see how it goes!

And this is a fair point. Good college head coaches are good adminstrators. They have to manage recruiting, practices, and game day decisions. It's similar to being an NFL Head coach, but remove the recruiting duties.

It's common for college head coaches to fail miserably in the NFL because they can't stack their team with a talent advantage like they can in college.

Kliff only has to be concerned with outscheming the other team and developing Rosen. It's a much more narrow job description and only highlights what he is known to be good at.

The national media attacks on this hiring are missing this point entirely. Just like many of them turned the Wilks firing into a race thing, and not a merit based firing. Anyone who even watched a single game of Wilks could see he looked liked he was promoted way over his ability. Total Peter principle.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
And this is a fair point. Good college head coaches are good adminstrators. They have to manage recruiting, practices, and game day decisions. It's similar to being an NFL Head coach, but remove the recruiting duties.

It's common for college head coaches to fail miserably in the NFL because they can't stack their team with a talent advantage like they can in college.

Kliff only has to be concerned with outscheming the other team and developing Rosen. It's a much more narrow job description and only highlights what he is known to be good at.

The national media attacks on this hiring are missing this point entirely. Just like many of them turned the Wilks firing into a race thing, and not a merit based firing. Anyone who even watched a single game of Wilks could see he looked liked he was promoted way over his ability. Total Peter principle.

Yes, I think people get caught up in Kliff's Gosling appearance and don't really know that much about him as a person. He is an introvert who loves gameplanning, scheming, calling plays, developing the QB and other players on offense, and is also a very high character person. Graduation rate of 85% at Tech.

He didn't like cutting corners on academics like you might see with other college coaches who just want to win big. He works extremely long hours, like 3 AM to Midnight. He's not a big time salesman like you need to be on the recruiting trail in college. His personality traits seem way more suited to the NFL than college in my opinion.

Obviously it's important to surround him with good veteran NFL coaches, especially on defense. But I would argue that was also critical with the Rams and McVay. If they didn't give him Wade Phillips, who knows how that would have turned out for them.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Because this isn't a black and white situation. Texas Tech is a horrible place to get top recruits to go to. It's always true.

I’m not going to pretend to know the in’s and out’s of recruiting at Texas Tech but you have to go back to the mid 80’s to find a coach at Tech who had a lower winning percentage than Kliff. Did those coaches not have those same obstacles?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a coach get a free pass on his record like Kingsbury has. Why does everyone make excuses for this guy?
Pretty sure Denny Green got a pass when he left Northwestern for Minny. Just seems like it has been a while.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard