Official General 2008 Olympics discussion

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I haven't felt that bad for a competitor in a long time. They made such a big deal earlier about her being almost the mom of the team and how she pulled them all together. So for her to fold under pressure like that is just going to be really tough on her. She's like the team leader that's got to be tough on her to deal with now.

I guess you don't think about it but these people train their whole lives and they usually get one chance, so when you get that chance and it goes poorly that's got to be REALLY tough to overcome.

I would love to see her get a medal in the individual events but I don't think she even qualified for any.

That's the essence of the Olympics and for, why it is by far my favorite sporting experience to observe... It's pure (relatively speaking of course...). It's all or nothing... I love it! And I LOVE watching the events with my wife and family curled up on our huge family room sofa!! My daughter found out yesterday she made the swim team at her school - and her coach is Amy Van Dyken (who is married to ex Broncos punter Tom Rouen)! So we are all really into the swimming which of couse, has been incredible!!

:thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the essence of the Olympics and for, why it is by far my favorite sporting experience to observe... It's pure (relatively speaking of course...). It's all or nothing... I love it! And I LOVE watching the events with my wife and family curled up on our huge family room sofa!! My daughter found out yesterday she made the swim team at her school - and her coach is Amy Van Dyken (who is married to ex Broncos punter Tom Rouen)! So we are all really into the swimming which of couse, has been incredible!!

Congrats to your daughter.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Choke or no choke sacramone or whatever her name is, her performance didn't cost the US the gold. The Chinese would have won anyway. But her performance does speak volumes about why clutch athletes are so special. Shawn Johnson is clutch. She has ice water running through her veins just like Tiger Woods and Tom Brady. I don't see how anyone couldn't be semi-rattled during a final, but somehow these special athletes manage and you know that they will pull out victory most of the time. Most are like Sacramone and Rackers. I knew right after she fell on the beam, just looking at her face, that she was done the rest of the way.

EDIT: US Soccer's coaching is a joke. The talent is there. The coaching is blasphemous. They better get it figured out before 2010.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Choke or no choke sacramone or whatever her name is, her performance didn't cost the US the gold. The Chinese would have won anyway.

That is highly debateable. The beam and the floor were the Americans two best events. After her fall on the beam, the Americans STILL were only down a point going into the floor (since China sucked on it hard on the beam). But her floor fall, losing almost a full point, was devastating. It was the sealer on the deal. Nastia stepped out after that, and even Shawn Johnson stepped OB too...unreal. Going into the beam, after China faltered on it, the US women were in fantastic shape for gold, in fact it was pretty much theirs to lose...and they lost it. It was shocking that they were still alive even after the beam.

But her performance does speak volumes about why clutch athletes are so special. Shawn Johnson is clutch. She has ice water running through her veins just like Tiger Woods and Tom Brady. I don't see how anyone couldn't be semi-rattled during a final, but somehow these special athletes manage and you know that they will pull out victory most of the time. Most are like Sacramone and Rackers. I knew right after she fell on the beam, just looking at her face, that she was done the rest of the way..

You are right on those counts. Shawn Johnson is clutch as hell...she nails her landings, is so precise and is unphased by anything.

And you are right on Sacramone...when she fell off that beam, her face told the story...and the nerves went wild. She was so concerned with not effing up on the floor, that it is exactly what she did.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's amazing....

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. She has 6 gold medals of her own. That's awesome.
yeah, I hear she was inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame (more gold medals won by a woman in a single Olympics)...GEEEEEZZZ, I wish I could watch that...should have DVR'd it....oh, wait...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I hear she was inducted into the Olympic Hall of Fame (more gold medals won by a woman in a single Olympics)...GEEEEEZZZ, I wish I could watch that...should have DVR'd it....oh, wait...

youtube.... get outta here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....youtube, or 60" tv glory??? (Picture linderbee holding her hands as if they're scales)

:madarms::slap::hulk:

:thumbsdown:

Had to make room for the hours upon hours of Olympic coverage I'm DVR'ing....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to add on Sacramone, she's pretty hot.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I just don't see it. I mean, she's not ugly or anything, but I don't see anything great about her, either.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
My favourite gymnast is by far Nastia Liukin. Shes just a pleasure to watch.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
She doesnt need it. Its all about her grace. And her long legs, too :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn