Offensive Performance

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was curious about redzone & took a peek. We top 3 so far this year. That's a pretty good turnaround for a major weakness from last season.
Kyler being more of running threat is why our redzone offense is so good.

He shied away in the redzone last year. Credit Kliff for being more creative this year as well.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Our offense looked better today.....

against the Jets.....

J-E-T-S.... Jets Jets Jets

But how about that Dennis Gardeck?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We played like an NFL offense today. No more college level bullcrap.

I feel like the offense grew a lot together today and Kyler is going to get better and better if they keep playing today's style of football.

The constant calls for throws behind the line of scrimmage has stunted his growth

I don’t recall seeing any of those garbage plays today.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, I think that what we should be watching is how we are trending with Kyler as QB. Last year vs. this year. How does that work out, as I don't have the numbers? And I would think that our poor defense also hurts our PPG, as they can't get off the field and Kyler back on the field. Bottom line, we have big problems, but just about all of them are on Defense. Look on the bright side, we could have Bosa and Rosen playing. :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing any of those garbage plays today.

We had the one busted screen that Hopkins ran the other way for 13 yards. Other than that we didn't throw a single bubble screen today.

One thing we don't do enough is a traditional RB screen. I can't recall one all year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think some are being a little harsh on our D.

No, it's not as good as the Bowles defense. But it's better than it has been the last couple of years.

It's certainly not the top 10 ranked D it currently is in many statistics considering we played the Jets, Skins and a dead Niners offense but I'd say it's a 16 to 18 range defense. Which is much better than the 30th or so we were last year.

That may very well change. You never know with VJ.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We had the one busted screen that Hopkins ran the other way for 13 yards. Other than that we didn't throw a single bubble screen today.

One thing we don't do enough is a traditional RB screen. I can't recall one all year.
We literally ran one to Chase yesterday but it got sniffed out by Quinnen.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depending on what happens tonight...

NFC POY could come down to Jared Goff, Kyler Murray or DeAndre Hopkins.

Although the dramatic fashion with which Seattle won they may give it to Russ.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
am on the record saying I think we are seeing a QB who is just very inexperienced against talented defenses.

i agree with this

the optimistic me wants to believe that: K1 has a bad game against Detroit with 3 ints. Thinks all week about taking care of the football. Overcompensates and plays a super safe dink and dunk game against Carolina trying to avoid the int. Comes out of it vs NYJ. Learns from it.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guys, the Jets defense is easily better than Carolina’s. Sometimes you have a bad day and the other team has a good day. Detroit was mere self-inflicted wounds.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i agree with this

the optimistic me wants to believe that: K1 has a bad game against Detroit with 3 ints. Thinks all week about taking care of the football. Overcompensates and plays a super safe dink and dunk game against Carolina trying to avoid the int. Comes out of it vs NYJ. Learns from it.

This is why more downfield shots in single coverage is in Kylers interest.

The odds of him getting intercepted with the DB with his back to the QB are very low. With Nuk especially they need to be a much larger part of the diet of this offense.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
KM looked very poised today in the pocket. Even with some pressure. First time this year he's looked that comfortable really. I liked that he really looked to get everyone involved today early. The 4th down pass to Daniels was huge. Edmonds was big, and Drake took the que and ran with some authority finally. Maybe the messages from K2 and the coaches are really getting through. Simmons take note. Prepare and perform.

When will he take a hit to make a completion?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
People always talk about penalties as “mental errors” that can be “cleaned up” but never present any evidence to the contrary and it seems to me counterintuitive.

Holding penalties (and even some false starts) are the result of getting beat (or fear of same) and having to compensate for physical limitations. I don’t think there are many other drive stalling penalties. Maybe OPI, again, though, you push off (or run pick/rubs) when you can’t get open from scheme/ability.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I imagine that teams are penalized at relatively static rates throughout the year.

Also, getting called for penalties isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It can speak to intensity and effort. Seattle’s great teams were always league leaders in penalties.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard