Nurk thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no expectation Nurkic will become who we had hoped Ayton would be. It's not even close.

However, if Nurkic can give the Suns good center play, stays healthy and plays like he wants to be here, I will be satisfied.

From a potential standpoint, the Suns virtually gave Ayton away.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When PER is used to compare 2 guys who play the same position, it can be telling.

I don't think anyone believes Nurkic is better than Ayton overall but I believe Nurkic is better for this Suns team than Ayton. Seems the front office felt that way also.

I don't think Ayton wanted to be here any longer and played like it. The Suns really didn't have any choice but to trade him.

At least the Suns are getting a player who wants to be here in Nurkic.

IMO, Allen and Little are underrated players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Ayton wanted to be here any longer and played like it. The Suns really didn't have any choice but to trade him.

Reports came out Ayton requested a trade at the beginning of the off-season. He wants to be "The Man" rather than compete for a championship. Good riddance, I say.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I have no expectation Nurkic will become who we had hoped Ayton would be. It's not even close.

However, if Nurkic can give the Suns good center play, stays healthy and plays like he wants to be here, I will be satisfied.

From a potential standpoint, the Suns virtually gave Ayton away.
If you're only comparing Nurkic to Ayton. What about us getting Little and Allen? Allen started for the team with the best record in basketball last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're only comparing Nurkic to Ayton. What about us getting Little and Allen? Allen started for the team with the best record in basketball last year.

I previously mentioned I thought Allen and Little were underrated acquisitions. This helps to balance the equation, although the Suns really didn't have much choice but to trade Ayton if there was a half way reasonable trade to be made.

I'm hoping the Suns can re-sign Allen and I like Little on a four-year reasonable contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holy crap I’m fully convinced some of the guys on this thread have never seen Nurkic play lol.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

After watching highlights of Little I actually think he sucks. His numbers are respectable but he’s just a tunnel vision scorer that takes bad shots. His salary isn’t too bad but I don’t think he’s a rotation guy yet he’s probably eating salary for 4 more years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap I’m fully convinced some of the guys on this thread have never seen Nurkic play lol.
Oh we've all seen him play. I just think we're banking on him playing like he did 4 years ago before the injury that cost him a season. He's older but with the way he's slimmed down, maybe it will make enough of a difference. At this point, what choice do we have but to hope that's the case? We know what a movitated Ayton can give us but we also know we weren't getting that guy any more.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If the Nurkmeister breaks or craps the bed it aint no thing - this owner in a very short time has already shown time and time again he will not hesitate to improve this team - but again - we don't need Nurk to go Nurkclear - we just need him to set some picks and do the Nurky work - no need to pick and roll - we're talking pick and rebound - I mean he's used to playing alongside a superstar who just wanted clean looks - now he'll be playing with multiple superstars who want clean looks - same way Dame did - if picks resulting in points were counted as assists Nurkic would probably lead the team this year

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It can not be overstated how moving DAs big contract for 4 smaller ones is huge in flexibility! It’s very easy to move smaller contract now or later on to round out roster, not the case with DAs stupid contract no one wanted. The tinkering can be done much much more easily now.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Oh we've all seen him play. I just think we're banking on him playing like he did 4 years ago before the injury that cost him a season. He's older but with the way he's slimmed down, maybe it will make enough of a difference. At this point, what choice do we have but to hope that's the case? We know what a movitated Ayton can give us but we also know we weren't getting that guy any more.

Thats the key, we need at least 3 important guys to play like they did 3-4 years ago, Beal, KD and Nurkic.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reports came out Ayton requested a trade at the beginning of the off-season. He wants to be "The Man" rather than compete for a championship. Good riddance, I say.

The 7 foot Jeremy Grant.

You have two guys down low that want to be the man, now with two dynamic guards who want to become their own. Lets see how it plays out and see if Ayton can be an alpha.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching highlights of Little I actually think he sucks. His numbers are respectable but he’s just a tunnel vision scorer that takes bad shots. His salary isn’t too bad but I don’t think he’s a rotation guy yet he’s probably eating salary for 4 more years.

We will see how the Suns rotation plays out.

However, he does give the Suns additional depth, athleticism and a moveable salary. He can also play both forward positions.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can’t tell.

I’ve seen guys compare him to Jokic lol NOPE

call him a good rebounder NOPE

Talk about having a center that dunks NOPE.

4 years ago is a long time. That guys gone he ain’t coming back

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Thats the key, we need at least 3 important guys to play like they did 3-4 years ago, Beal, KD and Nurkic.
This just isn't true. What we need is for those guys to play at around the level of last season and be healthy for the playoffs. We certainly don't need them to turn back the clock as you suggest.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t tell.

I’ve seen guys compare him to Jokic lol NOPE

call him a good rebounder NOPE

Talk about having a center that dunks NOPE.

4 years ago is a long time. That guys gone he ain’t coming back

His motor and fit have been compared, that's all that's been happening. Contort it to fit a narrative, not surprised.

If Nurkic isn't a good rebounder than DA definitely isn't considering Nurkic has a higher rebound rate than DA throughout their careers.

Why not talk about how Nurkic's added a 3pt shot?

Or how Nurkic is a better passer? Shot blocker? Gets more steals?

Hyper fixate on dunks though. Which hasn't been the focus on anyone's comparison. You know as well as anyone dunks were only mentioned because Ayton is known for being soft and stopping 6 feet short of the basket for a floater rather than flushing it, it's about attitude.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A lot of thoughts in this thread. It’s a crap shoot, let’s get to the table and see what we have. Sunday can’t come soon enough…

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
This just isn't true. What we need is for those guys to play at around the level of last season and be healthy for the playoffs. We certainly don't need them to turn back the clock as you suggest.
These guys haven't been healthy that's the concern. We need to turn back the clock to when they were healthy and playing at a high level. 2018-2019 season was the last time any of these guys played in more than 60 games.

Games played:

Average last 4 seasons
Beal 52
Durant 34
Nurkic 38

Last Season
Beal 50
Durant 47
Nurkic 52

2018-2019
Beal 82
Durant 78
Nurkic 72

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These guys haven't been healthy that's the concern. We need to turn back the clock to when they were healthy and playing at a high level. 2018-2019 season was the last time any of these guys played in more than 60 games.

Games played:

Average last 4 seasons
Beal 52
Durant 34
Nurkic 38

Last Season
Beal 50
Durant 47
Nurkic 52

2018-2019
Beal 82
Durant 78
Nurkic 72
I see improvement:)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trying to improve my attitude on Nurkic. So I have been watching everything I can on him. I understand highlights are selective and deceiving. This one below was helpful.

Looks like Nurk is willing to lower his shoulder and drive defenders back. We did not get that with DA. He is pretty skilled with layups and small moves around the basket. He has the euro step down and uses those long legs to move toward the hoop. He plays below the rim and more horizontally than vertically but surprises with some blocks occasionally. He will take that three-point shot and sets a pretty good pick. Not sure how his defense is overall.

The most encouraging thing I saw from him was his willingness to lower his shoulder and bump a defender toward the hoop when making his post moves. We have not had that bully type of play from a center in . . . well . . . ever.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to improve my attitude on Nurkic. So I have been watching everything I can on him. I understand highlights are selective and deceiving. This one below was helpful.

Looks like Nurk is willing to lower his shoulder and drive defenders back. We did not get that with DA. He is pretty skilled with layups and small moves around the basket. He has the euro step down and uses those long legs to move toward the hoop. He plays below the rim and more horizontally than vertically but surprises with some blocks occasionally. He will take that three-point shot and sets a pretty good pick. Not sure how his defense is overall.

The most encouraging thing I saw from him was his willingness to lower his shoulder and bump a defender toward the hoop when making his post moves. We have not had that bully type of play from a center in . . . well . . . ever.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I haven't been impressed with his defense the past couple years but from what I've read it was better before his injury. Don't know if he can get back to that level but slimming down should help a little.