Now this is class!

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0321/1527668.html

Vandal scribbles expletive on O'Neal's ball
LOS ANGELES -- The Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal left Sacramento with a spoiled souvenir of his 20,000th career point -- someone scribbled an insulting expletive on the ball used when he reached the milestone.
The unknown culprit apparently got to that game ball sometime after Lakers public relations director John Black had grabbed it just before halftime of the rival Kings' 107-99 victory over Los Angeles on Thursday night.
O'Neal, booed by the Sacramento crowd at halftime when his accomplishment was announced, said he hoped no one connected with the Kings' organization was responsible.
"History was made last night. You can't take that away from me,'' said O'Neal, the 28th player in NBA history to reach the plateau. "I hope the Maloof family (Kings' owners Gavin and Joe Maloof) doesn't condone this kind of action.
"I will not hold the city of Sacramento responsible, but whoever did this shows no class. I'm not mad at all. I know the Maloofs allow a lot of stuff. If they do condone this, I'll be very disappointed in that organization.''
At least for O'Neal, the vandalism added fuel to what already is a heated rivalry between the Pacific Division foes.
"This is one thing I won't forget, and I'll see you soon,'' O'Neal said.
The Kings are at the Lakers on April 10.
Black said the Lakers sent the ball back to the Kings.

I didn't have a very high opinion of the Sac fans as it was but this just proves my feelings. It's bad enough they boo him when he reaches the milestone but then to deface a piece of basketball history is unexcusable. Have some respect for the game, people!

I may not like Shaq but I would never consider doing what they did. This is even worse than when the Houston fans laughed and booed Steph after he got hurt when they played last and badly missed those two freethrow shots. And that was pretty bad.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, and it shows a lot of class by O'Neal to immediately blame the Maloofs.

I wouldn't condone the vandalization, but in a way, it is appropriate. The ball is a part of history, yes. But the hatred that O'Neal has repeatedly stirred up in the hearts of Kings fans is a part of history too. Right now, O'Neal is a prolific scorer who shows astoundingly poor judgement when he opens his mouth. Unlike most of the game's previous dominant players, he has a lot more enemies than friends.

Let history record all of that. I think the defaced ball makes a powerful statement, and it should be kept as is.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Northern California

When you think of crappy fans, you think of Northern California.

Sacramento-Basketball. The trailer trash of basketball fans. Instead of ringing those damn cowbells, trying putting it around your sister's neck.

Raider Nation-Football. Do nothing but troll for fights the whole game.

SF Giants- Nothing worse then seeing men with dingies waiting to be splashed by balls. Only in San Fransisco.

As a former Southern Californian, just cut the state in half.

OP
OP
J

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
In Shaq's (and the Laker's) defense, this so-called 'rivalry' is all made up from the Sac's perspective. They started to say there was a rivalry because they were nothing and were trying to ride on the tails of something. They are wannabees. Remember when the fans started to chant "Beat LA" when they finished off the Mavs last playoffs? What a cheap ripoff and how lame! The only thing original about the Kings is their stupid cowbells and that pretty much says it all.

So if Shaq finally gets fed up and fires some salvos in their direction then more power to him. At least he can back it up. Of course he should have just kept his mouth, and let his game talk but that's obviously not the kind of guy he is.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vandal scribbles expletive on O'Neal's ball

I can't believe he didn't even feel that. You'd think it would tickle or something.

Joe Mama

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Yeah, and it shows a lot of class by O'Neal to immediately blame the Maloofs.

Where? When?

He said "I hope the Maloof family doesn't condone this kind of action." AND "I know the Maloofs allow a lot of stuff. If they do condone this, I'll be very disappointed in that organization.''

Where did he say "I blame the Maloof family?"

:rolleyes:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He said "I hope the Maloof family doesn't condone this kind of action." AND "I know the Maloofs allow a lot of stuff. If they do condone this, I'll be very disappointed in that organization.''

Oh please. If he had said, "I hope Brian in Mesa doesn't condone this kind of action. I've heard he allows a lot of stuff. If he does condone this, I'll be very disappointed in him" ... how would you feel? Maybe just a little bit on the defensive?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

Oh please. If he had said, "I hope Brian in Mesa doesn't condone this kind of action. I've heard he allows a lot of stuff. If he does condone this, I'll be very disappointed in him" ... how would you feel? Maybe just a little bit on the defensive?

Nope, since I am the type that wouldn't condone it, I wouldn't read a lot into it like you do.

But then again you're biased against the big guy anyway.

If Shaq was a Sun and said that, I bet you'd see his comments in a different light. :rolleyes:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But then again you're biased against the big guy anyway.

This is essentially what is known as an "ad hominem" attack. Rather than discredit my evidence, you are going after me. It doesn't play in a court of law, and it doesn't carry a lot of weight here either.

If Shaq was a Sun and said that, I bet you'd see his comments in a different light.

That's a bad bet. If you'd been paying attention at all during the last few years, you would have noticed that I often say bad things about Suns players too. I call 'em like I see 'em, no matter what colors they're wearing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm - since you brought it up, would Shaq's statements be seen, in a court of law, as an accusation of blame?

Should the Maloof's file for slander?

Just curious since, in your mind, he immediately blamed the Maloofs...

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I heard what was written on the ball,

"Yeah, you scored 20,000 points... But you also starred in those movies Kazaam, and Shaq Steel"

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billythekid
I heard what was written on the ball,

"Yeah, you scored 20,000 points... But you also starred in those movies Kazaam, and Steel"

Now that is funny! :D :thumbup:

BMF

Rookie
Reaction score
I know sacramento fans sound pretty cheap with all the cowbell stuff, and I myself know a few and think they're pretty dumb, however shaq and the lakers bring a lot of the hate towards them on themselves. The lakers are cocky players who show no respect towards anyone else in the NBA especially Sacramento. I could list some of the stuff he has said, but the list would either be too long or incomplete.

However, the actions of the sacramento fans are still dumb.

The Sacramento/ Lakers rivalry is one of the dumber ones that we have had over the years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA