Not to get cocky, but the Broncos are beatable.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Can't wait to see this game. Y'all have a great chance to win and I think most fans believe the cards are the real deal.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how I would match up as we currently are

Peterson - Thomas
Cromartie - J Thomas
Mathieu - Welker
Powers - Sanders

The Broncos like to work Julius Thomas deep which is why I would put Cromartie on him. Cro has the size to make Manning throw over him which increases the room for error.

I put Mathieu on Welker because I'm more comfortable with Mathieu in the slot, and I think he matches up with Welker's speed better.

Powers on Sanders is a tough call, but I think Powers can run deep with Sanders, and I'm ok with Powers outside.

Peterson vs D Thomas is a good matchup.

We don't match up well in this game because we will struggle to get off the field on 3rd down due to the need to blitz Manning on 3rd down. However, man coverage is the best way to disrupt that rhythm/timing offense so we will see.

On offense, protection will be key. The Broncos are pretty athletic in the front 7 which is always tough when you have a QB who isn't really mobile.

Drew is actually pretty mobile.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No. Not on one leg, and I would be 50/50 if Mathieu was on two good legs.

It is a huge matchup problem for sure.

Plus if Matheui takes J.Thomas, Peterson D.Thomas, and Cromartie takes E.Sanders, then who covers Wes Welker ?

Why did we draft Deone Bucannon if not to cover second-tier TEs one-on-one?

I'm much happier putting Matthieu on Wes Welker than moving Cromartie into the slot where he's much less effective.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why did we draft Deone Bucannon if not to cover second-tier TEs one-on-one?

I'm much happier putting Matthieu on Wes Welker than moving Cromartie into the slot where he's much less effective.

Well, that is in the case that Matheui, indeed covers Thomas, which was the original question.

I would put Matheui on Welker, Bucannon on Thomas, Cromartie on Sanders, and Peterson on D.Thomas.

From there, it would be hope for the best.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, that is in the case that Matheui, indeed covers Thomas, which was the original question.

I would put Matheui on Welker, Bucannon on Thomas, Cromartie on Sanders, and Peterson on D.Thomas.

From there, it would be hope for the best.

That's the matchup that I would take, as well. I'd also play Cover-1 and invite Peyton Manning to guess who would be in coverage and who would be blitzing between Bucannon and Tony Jefferson.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's the matchup that I would take, as well. I'd also play Cover-1 and invite Peyton Manning to guess who would be in coverage and who would be blitzing between Bucannon and Tony Jefferson.

Yup. I would dare Manning to complete passes in the deep outside thirds. You almost could argue that keeping your most instinctive S (Mathieu) deep middle, letting him read and react, and make plays on Manning's floating deep balls might be the best tactic. That is where Seattle has had success. Have your outside DBs squat at 7 yards. Have your deep S sit in the middle of the field reading Manning. Play press underneath disrupting route timing, and have your SS & ILB hammer the TE.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Here is how I would match up as we currently are

Peterson - Thomas
Cromartie - J Thomas
Mathieu - Welker
Powers - Sanders

The Broncos like to work Julius Thomas deep which is why I would put Cromartie on him. Cro has the size to make Manning throw over him which increases the room for error.

I put Mathieu on Welker because I'm more comfortable with Mathieu in the slot, and I think he matches up with Welker's speed better.

Powers on Sanders is a tough call, but I think Powers can run deep with Sanders, and I'm ok with Powers outside.

Peterson vs D Thomas is a good matchup.

We don't match up well in this game because we will struggle to get off the field on 3rd down due to the need to blitz Manning on 3rd down. However, man coverage is the best way to disrupt that rhythm/timing offense so we will see.

On offense, protection will be key. The Broncos are pretty athletic in the front 7 which is always tough when you have a QB who isn't really mobile.

I agree. I think Cromartie is the right guy to cover J Thomas as well.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hard to believe but Peyton Manning has been in the NFL since 1998 and this Sunday will be only the 3rd time the Cardinals have played against him.

I'll never forget the last time they played here. Every time the Colts had the ball this lady in front of us would scream, "Go Dallas!!" over and over. After a few beers my wife says in frustration, "We're not playing Dallas Wtf!"

I still give her crap about that all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'll never forget the last time they played here. Every time the Colts had the ball this lady in front of us would scream, "Go Dallas!!" over and over. After a few beers my wife says in frustration, "We're not playing Dallas Wtf!"

I still give her crap about that all the time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dallas Clark?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yup. I would dare Manning to complete passes in the deep outside thirds. You almost could argue that keeping your most instinctive S (Mathieu) deep middle, letting him read and react, and make plays on Manning's floating deep balls might be the best tactic. That is where Seattle has had success. Have your outside DBs squat at 7 yards. Have your deep S sit in the middle of the field reading Manning. Play press underneath disrupting route timing, and have your SS & ILB hammer the TE.

I still think that Mathieu is miscast as a free safety. When you're playing a five-DB defense as your base, you don't need to generate reasons to get him on the field.

I'm more comfortable with Mathieu in run support than I am Rashad Johnson, and much more comfortable with him in single-man coverage. Manning is accurate enough that I'm not sure that "instictive" players are really going to force a turnover. You're better off trying to force Manning to throw to a matchup that you like.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I still think that Mathieu is miscast as a free safety. When you're playing a five-DB defense as your base, you don't need to generate reasons to get him on the field.

I'm more comfortable with Mathieu in run support than I am Rashad Johnson, and much more comfortable with him in single-man coverage. Manning is accurate enough that I'm not sure that "instictive" players are really going to force a turnover. You're better off trying to force Manning to throw to a matchup that you like.

I'm just explaining how the Seahawks have been giving Manning fits the past two times they have played them. They sit Earl Thomas slightly shaded in the middle of the field, and have him read Manning's eyes. Thomas reads the route combinations, and breaks when pressure gets to Manning, and he has to unload the ball. The Seahawks dare Manning to beat them over the top on the outside.

What is also interesting is that Earl shades to Sherman's side when Sherman is matched up vs Demeryius Thomas, but shades the other direction when Sherman has Welker or Sanders lined up on his side.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I guess I should say that I would copy what the Seahawks do which is the above.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah. See, I think that I see Mathieu as a different kind of player than Earl Thomas. Earl Thomas is like the next generation Ed Reed. IMO, he's in a class by himself.

I think that Honey Badger is a nice hybrid defender that I want playing as close to the LOS as possible. Kind of like if Troy Polamalu were a free safety, or like a rich man's John Lynch.

If you're asking Mathieu to do Earl Thomas things, you're putting your defense at a disadvantage. Ask him to do Tyrann Mathieu things.

I do totally agree that you beat the Broncos by keeping Manning on the sideline and forcing him to make throws to the deep perimeter of the field when he is out there.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do totally agree that you beat the Broncos by keeping Manning on the sideline and forcing him to make throws to the deep perimeter of the field when he is out there.

To me, that would mean putting Mathieu shaded to the outside on Welker with a linebacker underneath to take away the middle and force those outside throws.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To me, that would mean putting Mathieu shaded to the outside on Welker with a linebacker underneath to take away the middle and force those outside throws.

I think that's overkill. Particularly when you likely need that linebacker to (a) cover the tight end and/or (b) provide pass rush.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TM on welker is a must, and Cannon on Julius Thomas makes or breaks the game IMO.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I'm hoping we will get a monster game from Calais, he played his high school ball in Denver.

Peyton's at 499 touchdowns, a TD in this game will be a distraction. The talking heads will be slobbering all over him.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
BA:

Jody Jackson ‏@Jody_Jackson 1m1 minute ago
Arians thought PM needs 9 TD's to reach 500. Asked about it he said "we give up 9 I'm not getting on the plane". (1/2)

Jody Jackson ‏@Jody_Jackson 25s26 seconds ago
After he was told PM only needs 1 to 500 " we'll give him 1" gotta love Arians

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
If we play tough D, we have an good chance to win in Denver. But, we're going to have to substitute a lot throughout the game to stay fresh enough in the 2nd half. Otherwise, the high altitude could factor in.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Not that it matters for Sunday, but the Broncos released their idiot kicker who got suspended 4 games for DUI.

Prater is a top kicker in the League, but they are sticking with Brandon McManus instead.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Fox Sports 910 ‏@foxsports910 6m6 minutes ago
RT @mikejurecki: Patrick Peterson did not practice today dealing with an illness, according to BA he'll be ready for Sunday.

Darren Urban ‏@Cardschatter 12s12 seconds ago
#AZCardinals injuries: QB Palmer, LB Glenn Carson (ankle) officially out. G Paul Fanaika (knee) quest, altho BA said he'd start. #AZvsDEN

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS 12m12 minutes ago
Tyrann Mathieu has done an amazing job getting back on the field. But against SF, he was still favoring the left leg some.

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS 9m9 minutes ago
Lot of guys I call grinders, guys you need on your team, on that Arizona defense. Interesting game this week with Denver

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS 8m8 minutes ago
Bucannon will play a lot of LB I bet again.

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS 4m4 minutes ago
Tony Jefferson has been a nice player for Arizona.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We're good at safety for the definable future. Mathieu, Bucannon, Jefferson, and Rashad Johnson are an enviable squad.

I wonder how long we can keep Cro. PP and Cromartie are a killer CB tandem too, but not much behind them.