NFL admits to mistakes

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they give the flow two more field goals then there apology is meaningless

Unless the fire that crew there apology is meaningless

Unless they suspend Richard Sherman there apology is meaningless

Continually making basic mistakes and then apologizing for it after the fact but are still employing the same incompetent refs changes nothing

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I just watched the clip. Why was sherman the only one to not hear the whistles?

That was bad.....really bad. I can see why people are going nuts. I can also see why people are calling conspiracy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was bad.....really bad. I can see why people are going nuts. I can also see why people are calling conspiracy.

He did hear the whistle although he's now saying he didn't. After the game he was asked about the play and he said I'm not going to let him get the kick off in that situation so I tried to knock the ball away from the holder. So he admitted he knew he was offsides but he's figuring if I stop and he makes the kick it's good so I'll knock the ball away and make them kick it again.

The NFL has a huge problem that play simply can't be missed, there are too many refs there and they all admit they saw the play they just didn't think it warranted a penalty on the contact. How could it NOT be a penalty?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Unless they give the flow two more field goals then there apology is meaningless

Unless the fire that crew there apology is meaningless

Unless they suspend Richard Sherman there apology is meaningless

Continually making basic mistakes and then apologizing for it after the fact but are still employing the same incompetent refs changes nothing
I agree... where is this mysterious "New York" we keep hearing about that is behind the scenes....or these officials in "the booth"............. any of them could have radioed down to the field and simply said...throw that flag now.

Buffalo was dominating the hags... that bs all around that first FG was obvious bias and a clear momentum changer.....

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every play should be reviewable and refs should be able to be overruled. They don't like it or feel they would be undermined then they need to get their act together and do their jobs right.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only was the Unnecessary Roughness not called, but the delay of game call was botched too right after that.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
He did hear the whistle although he's now saying he didn't. After the game he was asked about the play and he said I'm not going to let him get the kick off in that situation so I tried to knock the ball away from the holder. So he admitted he knew he was offsides but he's figuring if I stop and he makes the kick it's good so I'll knock the ball away and make them kick it again.

The NFL has a huge problem that play simply can't be missed, there are too many refs there and they all admit they saw the play they just didn't think it warranted a penalty on the contact. How could it NOT be a penalty?
I just saw the replays on Sports Center. Shermans own explanation doesnt make sense. He said he was going for the ball and assumed the kicker was going to stop.....but he was nowhere near the ball/holder and lowered his shoulder and turned his back while running into the kicker.

He knew exactly what he was doing and needs to sit for at LEAST a game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw the replays on Sports Center. Shermans own explanation doesnt make sense. He said he was going for the ball and assumed the kicker was going to stop.....but he was nowhere near the ball/holder and lowered his shoulder and turned his back while running into the kicker.

He knew exactly what he was doing and needs to sit for at LEAST a game.

He actually touched the ball so I don't see how you can say he's nowhere near the ball? His claim is the kicker should have stopped he had the best angle of the flag. So he's admitting he knew there was a flag. He said because I tipped the ball, there's no running into the kicker, that's true except on a dead ball they can't call running into the kicker anyways, but they CAN call roughing for making contact on a dead ball which should have been the play.

He did exactly what you are taught to do to block a FG, he took the angle but because he was so early, he chose to try and knock the ball away from the holder and he says he actually tipped it.

The head coach Ryan is now saying after seeing the replay he overrreacted, it was a penalty but not as bad as I thought. That is he no longer thinks it's a dirty play by Sherman but it should have been a penalty. He said he told Sherman you're too good to be an ass like that because Sherman was "mean mugging" on the sideline after the play. Initially he thought it was dirty but after seeing the replay he agrees Sherman went for the ball, but still should have been flagged.

They have a perfect slow motion replay where you can literally see Sherman reaching out with his left hand to try and deflect the ball away from the holder.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Every play should be reviewable and refs should be able to be overruled. They don't like it or feel they would be undermined then they need to get their act together and do their jobs right.

If it were only that easy, these are bang-bang plays in real time. You have to look over your area and have several things going through your head. It's easy for us to sit back and criticize the officials after we have seen it numerous time in slow-mo. I personally think no matter what they do they will be criticized by one side or the other. But I will say that the home crowd can influence an official in any sport.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were only that easy, these are bang-bang plays in real time. You have to look over your area and have several things going through your head. It's easy for us to sit back and criticize the officials after we have seen it numerous time in slow-mo. I personally think no matter what they do they will be criticized by one side or the other. But I will say that the home crowd can influence an official in any sport.

You can use the bang-bang excuse. You can't do that for the end-of-half clock and penalty mistakes

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was ref at high school BBall game once and standing about at half court while other ref was on other sideline closer to the basket. One team was dribbling the ball up the court uncontested like they had done the whole game and I turned my head to check out the other players closer to the basket when I heard the crowd go into an uproar, yelling at me and such. For some silly reason the kid dribbling the ball apparently just crossed the half court line and pitched it to the other guard a few feet from him who had not quite crossed half court. People wonder how I could have missed something right in front of me. The odder thing was the other ref saw it but didn't blow his whistle either. Guess he thought he saw it wrong if I, standing right by them, didn't call it either. You can't call something you don't see even if it is obvious to everyone else. I suspect the official that should have called roughing the kicker glanced away and didn't see the whole contact, maybe just the ending part where he thought the kicker was just falling over Sherman. The game is fast and just a blink of an eye can cause your brain to have to fill in what you didn't fully see. The brain is a wonderful thing in that it does that constantly. It is programmed to fill in each and every scenario and make it complete even when our eyes miss a bit of it. Not only that, our brains remember the scene to be real, even though it made up a bit of it to make sense out of the whole thing. That is why witnesses in court can all have a different story from watching the same event. They will each swear they saw it correctly and in their minds, they truly believe they have.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was ref at high school BBall game once and standing about at half court while other ref was on other sideline closer to the basket. One team was dribbling the ball up the court uncontested like they had done the whole game and I turned my head to check out the other players closer to the basket when I heard the crowd go into an uproar, yelling at me and such. For some silly reason the kid dribbling the ball apparently just crossed the half court line and pitched it to the other guard a few feet from him who had not quite crossed half court. People wonder how I could have missed something right in front of me. The odder thing was the other ref saw it but didn't blow his whistle either. Guess he thought he saw it wrong if I, standing right by them, didn't call it either. You can't call something you don't see even if it is obvious to everyone else. I suspect the official that should have called roughing the kicker glanced away and didn't see the whole contact, maybe just the ending part where he thought the kicker was just falling over Sherman. The game is fast and just a blink of an eye can cause your brain to have to fill in what you didn't fully see. The brain is a wonderful thing in that it does that constantly. It is programmed to fill in each and every scenario and make it complete even when our eyes miss a bit of it. Not only that, our brains remember the scene to be real, even though it made up a bit of it to make sense out of the whole thing. That is why witnesses in court can all have a different story from watching the same event. They will each swear they saw it correctly and in their minds, they truly believe they have.
Were you making hundreds of thousands of dollars reffing that HS bball game? Maybe if you were then you would've paid more attention to your responsibilities on the court instead of letting your attention wander.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not much you can do. The players play. Its not Seattles fault they didnt get called for the penalty. They should have. But they arent refs. The most you can do is boot them refs, but ultimately, the outcome of the game stands.

I think the best way to fix this is to expand replays and challenges. Have a supreme court tribual in new york on standby ready for matters like these so they get fully addressed in the moment.

A coach should have a challenge flag, and then a protest flag. The protest flag goes to the tribunal for full review. Doesnt matter if it takes 20 minutes. It gets called correctly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much you can do. The players play. Its not Seattles fault they didnt get called for the penalty. They should have. But they arent refs. The most you can do is boot them refs, but ultimately, the outcome of the game stands.

I think the best way to fix this is to expand replays and challenges. Have a supreme court tribual in new york on standby ready for matters like these so they get fully addressed in the moment.

A coach should have a challenge flag, and then a protest flag. The protest flag goes to the tribunal for full review. Doesnt matter if it takes 20 minutes. It gets called correctly.

they need to do away with the can't challenge under 2 minutes nonsense. Ryan said he wanted to challenge the delay of game clock error but was told it wasn't a play he could challenge. But now the NFL has admitted clock errors are reviewable so wtf?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You can use the bang-bang excuse. You can't do that for the end-of-half clock and penalty mistakes

It obvious I was not talking about the clock error, where do you get the from what I said. That would fall under the human element. If kicker makes the FG which he is paid to do, you're not crying about it now.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The kicker did make the field goal, but it didn't count because of the delay of game screw-up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
its not just a bang bang thing.... I recognize penalties instantly during a game, at full speed...if its on camera of course...

the officials should toss the flag, then be man enough to pick it up if they are wrong...especially in a case in which a player could have been injured.

we all know if that would have been a QB getting hit "unabated"... that is an automatic 15 yards.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The kicker did make the field goal, but it didn't count because of the delay of game screw-up.

Not the one that counted. If they reset the clock that first kick never happens, and of course he's 5 yards closer. They blew the call, but IMO it has nothing to do with missing the kick.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He intentionally went at the kickers knees. That much is certain. He should be suspended.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Were you making hundreds of thousands of dollars reffing that HS bball game? Maybe if you were then you would've paid more attention to your responsibilities on the court instead of letting your attention wander.
Seriously but we are talking SBF here. I've refereed countless basketball games and my focus is usually on the ball and it's vicinity. I mean, you see the ball carrier, why would you turn your attention to under the basket away from the ball?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meanwhile in USA Today, Jarrett Bell - who authored a piece on officiating criticism - concluded that the NFL did a really neat job with their officiating.

Really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard