Newton left Florida after cheating scandal

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick thought... obviously this will affect his college stuff and dexcision as to go pro, but will it affect is draft status as well?

What about the Cardinals, there is no worse QB situation than ours, what if we are sitting there at 14-18 and Newton is available, is he a guy we now take off our draft noards under any and all circumstances?

Thoughts?

I don't think NFL teams care, they don't see it as a character issue. Look at Mayo in the NBA draft for example, he didn't drop at all, he even outright lied to NBA teams who asked him about the allegations and they didn't care.

If you can play football the NFL will take you even if you did get paid to go to college as is alleged with Newton.

Personally I think the jury is still out on how good Newton is, but I do strongly suspect he'll be in the NFL next season.

Personally I think he won't last the season at Auburn, at the rate this is going he's going to get suspended before the bowl game if not sooner, there's just too much smoke.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.excite.com/news/11172010/v9467.html

Report: Booster Received Payment Plan for Newton

Nov 17, 8:57 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

Mississippi State booster Bill Bell told ESPN.com that he received a payment plan designed to get Cam Newton to sign with the Bulldogs from a man who said he represented the quarterback's father.

Bell, a former Mississippi State player, said Kenny Rogers sent him a text message outlining a payment schedule that included $80,000 on the day Newton signed, $50,000 30 days later and $50,000 30 days after that. Rogers, who has worked for an agent, is also a former Mississippi State player.

"When he asked for it, it was like 'Bam!"' Bell said in the report. "He told me this kid's dad is going to want money and the next day he sent me a text message. He didn't say anything other than 'This is what I want and I want it in three installments."'

Cam Newton, a leading Heisman Trophy candidate, eventually signed with Auburn. The second-ranked Tigers (11-0) have clinched a berth in the Southeastern Conference championship game.

Calls from The Associated Press to Bell, Cecil Newton and Rogers' attorney were not immediately returned......

"(Cecil Newton) didn't come out and say, 'I want $180,000,"' Bell said in the report. "He inferred it and talked about it, but not directly. Kenny would talk about it in front of him, and (Cecil Newton) never corrected him or said, 'No, that's not what we're doing."'

Bell said the initial contact to him was made by Rogers. But Bell said he also had several conversations with Cecil Newton during his son's recruitment.

"He said it was going to take more than just a relationship with (Mississippi State coach) Dan Mullen and that Cam's relationship with Mullen wasn't what Mullen thought it was," Bell said. "That's when he said, 'Dan Mullen is going to have to put a smile on my face if he thinks he's going to get my son."'....

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Death Penalty, anyone?

Deservedly so, but with those dollars involved, wrist slap is the most to hope for. Stuff like this, brings back memories of the movie, Runaway Jury. Wish I could find the applicable dialogue. Nicholas Easter informs Frank Herrera, that he is quite naive, if he thinks anything, involving so much money, is ever left to chance, including the Super Bowl and every major sporting event. The fix is always in when the big money arrives. :devil:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Things have been pretty quiet on the newton front for a few days. I wonder what might be in the works. I just hope if they have some good evidence, that they don't overlook it and let him play.

Anyone heard anything more recently?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auburn and Newton just got a free pass by the NCAA. I don't think it is over, but the season goes on, for now. Daddy's fault. Cam knew. Auburn knew and paid the Rev.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Yeah, I think auburn might be in deeper trouble for some of the other things, but we will see. I hope they don't win the title either way.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think auburn might be in deeper trouble for some of the other things, but we will see. I hope they don't win the title either way.

I hope they win it if they are going to get busted down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort