New U2 album already out

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
The new U2 album "No Line on the Horizon" comes out March 3rd, but it was leaked mistakenly by U2's own record label Universal Records via it's Australian online music store a couple nights ago. The 256kbps mp3's were only available in the store for about 2 hours before the mistake was realized and the mp3's taken offline. By then it was too late. The tracks were already spreading like wildfire around the internet through torrents and fans on U2 message boards uploading to file sharing sites. The mp3's are not too hard to find now if you know where to look. Or you can legally stream the entire album through U2's MySpace page starting today. I'm a longtime U2 fan since the mid-80's. In my opinion this is their best album since Achtung Baby. I would rank it their 3rd best after Joshua Tree and Achtung. It's that good. The only weak track is the first single "Get On Your Boots". Favorite tracks right now are "Magnificent" (destined to be another U2 classic), "Unknown Caller" and "Moment of Surrender". I can't wait to see the new songs played live when U2 tours the US later this year!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cool, gonna have to check it out. I haven't been very excited about their last few efforts. It seems that it coincided with the absence of their longtime producer Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno i think.
I first went to see U2 at the then "new" Compton Terrace in 1985(Unforgettable Fire tour). I went alone because my friends were only into the metal scene at the time.
I was hooked when the War album came out.
Needless to say it was a fantastic show. Curiously at the time in '85 before The Joshua Tree took them to mega-stardom, their following(at least in terms of the concert goer's) was primarily an extreme punk/Goth/Mod crowd. I was 16 yrs old at the time with hair down to the middle of my back and i sort of stood out from the rest of the 20,000 or so people there,LOL. Mohawks & spikes to my right,skinhead's & Mods to my left.....a very memorable night.
I've seen U2 several times since then but not in quite a few years.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
U2 is unbelievable. I can listen to Joshua Tree anytime, anywhere. Their only questionabole album is POP. Other than that every album has great songs. I have never seen them live. I have to catch them this time around.

OP
OP
Y

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
Getting tickets for U2's upcoming tour shouldn't be as difficult this time around as the band have already said they'll be playing stadiums in the US and not arenas as the've done the past couple tours. Those arena shows would sell out in minutes. U2 will be starting out the tour in Europe this summer and hitting the States by September. Whether they play Univ of Phoenix Stadium or Sun Devil Stadium here in the Valley, there'll be over 70,000 tickets available. Last time they played stadiums during the Popmart tour, they didn't come close to selling out Sun Devil Stadium.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Cool! Am listening to the album now off of MySpace.

I'm shocked, actually - the entire U2 catalog is available streaming on their MySpace page. Looks like everything is there, and a random sampling plays the full songs. Not sure how long that has been or will last, but sweet!

So far (on second track) the new album is really good. Accessible, but lots of layers as is usual with U2. Will take a few listens...

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Needs some more listens, but very good.

Lots more going on in the background soundscapes then the last few albums...feels denser.

Also feels like a more complete record vs a series of singles, which was Atomic Bomb's issue (and I really liked some of the tracks off of that album).

It will be a great headphone album...

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Still digging the new album - a few listens in it's really good. Will def be buying it.

However, I have to admit, I've been side-tracked listening to older U2 on their MySpace page, and am having a great time. The entire back catalog is there, and it's really easy to hop around between eras. I have most of the CDs, but not all are rip'd and instantly accessible right now - and I haven't listened to early 80's U2 (or Achtung-era for that matter) for a long time.

Damn, but they were so good - and still are good. It's really amazing their longevity and creativity as they have aged.

Sure, they always 'sound like U2', but their stuff over 30 years is WAY more diverse then, say, the Stones.

So many classics that are -just - classic - at this point. And so many gems that have slipped off playlists... 40, Gloria, Bad, One Tree Hill, Zoo Station, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...the list goes on...

Good stuff!

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol...I was taking your review, Yotes, with a grain of salt because I had only heard one song from the new album, and I really, really didn't like it...but it's Get On Your Boots, so when I got to that part I decided your review was probably okay :)

I was at the Joshua Tree concert at SDS...what an amazing concert...$5 tickets...lol; won't see that ever again! Would love to see them again sometime. I'll give this one a listen. Happy to hear it's a winner!

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
lol...I was taking your review, Yotes, with a grain of salt because I had only heard one song from the new album, and I really, really didn't like it...but it's Get On Your Boots, so when I got to that part I decided your review was probably okay :)

I was at the Joshua Tree concert at SDS...what an amazing concert...$5 tickets...lol; won't see that ever again! Would love to see them again sometime. I'll give this one a listen. Happy to hear it's a winner!

Yotes is right - the rest of the album does not sound at all like the single (Get On Your Boots). Not sure why they rolled that out as the first single. It's very 'Vertigo Part 2', while the album is not.

Check out Magnificent, Breathe, Moment of Surrender, the title track, Unknown Caller, Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight - all very different and much better then Boots.

I'm really digging it - Breathe and Magnificent are going to be big hits, I think. Moment of Surrender too (although it's 7 minutes, so they'll have to do a remix).

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No Line On The Horizon

Release Date: 03 March 2009
You must be registered for see images

Track List
  1. No Line On The Horizon
  2. Magnificent
  3. Moment of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
  6. Get On Your Boots
  7. Stand Up Comedy
  8. Fez -- Being Born
  9. White As Snow
  10. Breathe
  11. Cedars Of Lebanon
'We'd invited Eno and Lanois to come in as writers. It was a big step up for us to say, 'We wanna open the thing up and that will determine the direction.' From the first session Larry was performing on an electronic drum kit. Normally Larry drums so hard, it's very hard to spend hours working stuff up when you've got all this bang and clatter. But the electronic kit made him play in a certain way. So the music came from a different place.'
Adam

'Initially, the idea was to do this esoteric thing and have a few hits there as well. It's kind of morphed into something else. I think there is experimentation in there... it's just a different animal. It's not quite what people would expect a U2 experimental thing would be. I mean, if you think of Zooropa, or Passengers, this is not that. This has got a lot of weight... I think it's some of the best music we've ever written.'
Larry on recording in Morocco

'I want people to listen to it as opposed to just buying it. I want this to be an album people go back to, and really get into, in-depth. Like all the records I love... I think we've learnt a few things over the years... I think it could be a bringing to bear of all those eureka moments from the past. And I think it could be our best album.'
Edge

'...I allowed myself to wear the clothes of characters that wandered into my imagination. So the guy in (new song) 'Cedars of Lebanon' is a war correspondent. I meet a lot of them in my other life. And I have a lot of empathy because I'd probably be one (laughs). And then there's this song that is called 'Tripoli' at the moment, which is this guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan French cop, who's going awol. He drives through France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning...'
Bono On Writing in the Third Person

Backgrounder

No Line On The Horizon, released on Saturday Feb 27th In Ireland and in the rest of the world two days later, is the group's 12th studio album and their first release since the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, in late 2004. Sessions for the album began in 2007 in Fez, Morocco, where longtime producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois joined U2 as songwriting partners. Sessions continued in the band's own studio in Dublin, moved to New York's Platinum Sound Recording Studios before production was completed in December 2008 at Olympic Studios in London. As well as the production talents of long-time collaborators Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, additional production was by Steve Lillywhite.
:thumbup:

http://www.u2.com/discography/index/album/albumId/4083/tagName/studio_albums
I just listened to "Magnificent" from the link provided by Yotefan(thx)......and i liked it. I'm just hoping for a lusher,more surrealistic sound from this new album.
"The Unforgettable Fire" remains my favorite album to this day with "Achtung" a close 2nd.
Glad to hear the band invited Eno/Lanois into this.:D

Last edited:

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I just listened to "Magnificent" from the link provided by Yotefan(thx)......and i liked it. I'm just hoping for a lusher,more surrealistic sound from this new album.
"The Unforgettable Fire" remains my favorite album to this day with "Achtung" a close 2nd.
Glad to hear the band invited Eno/Lanois into this.:D

I think you will like the new album, then. FWIW, the U2 die-hard fans online say it has the feel of both of those albums, with some of the better elements of Pop thrown in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
All the U2 tourdates are being announced in a few hours. Billboard.com already released some of the details on Friday. As expected, it's going to be all stadiums this tour, no arenas. U2 will be playing Europe in the summer and then the US for 1 1/2 months in September/October with the first US show at Soldier Field in Chicago September 12th. U2 will be back in the US next June/July to hit the remaining cities they couldn't make the first US leg. I'm hoping they play here in the Valley the first leg and not next summer. Regardless, I'm already planning on making the trip to Chi-town for the September 12th concert. I've made the trip to Chicago for every U2 tour since PopMart, so can't stop now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
http://360.u2.com/

U.S. Tourdates for U2 360 Degree Tour

12 September 2009 Soldier Field Chicago IL US
16 September 2009 Rogers Centre Toronto ON CA
20 September 2009 Gilette Stadium Boston MA US
24 September 2009 Giants Stadium New York NY US
29 September 2009 FedEx Field Washington DC US
01 October 2009 Scott Stadium Charlottesville VA US
03 October 2009 Stadium Raleigh NC US
06 October 2009 Georgia Dome Atlanta GA US
09 October 2009 Raymond James Center Tampa FL US
12 October 2009 New Cowboys Stadium Dallas TX US
14 October 2009 Reliant Stadium Houston TX US
19 October 2009 Oklahoma Memorial Stadium Norman OK US
20 October 2009 Univ. of Phoenix Stadium Phoenix AZ US
23 October 2009 Sam Boyd Stadium Las vegas NV US
25 October 2009 Rose Bowl Los Angeles CA US
28 October 2009 BC Place Stadium Vancouver BC CA

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For some of the old school die hards....I dug this up last night. I'm on a bit of a U2 renaissance right now so forgive me:)
Awesome sound & energy.

Another great one. Still my favorite song from my favorite album.