New Owner - Mat Ishbia

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'd say now we have a little more sample size regarding this guy

Definitely orchestrated the Durant trade - and by orchestrated I mean he overruled James Jones - and way overpaid while doing so

This says a lot imo. It says Ishbia has a huge erection for winning a championship NOW - gigantic erection - like you would need a panoramic camera to capture all of...

So yeah, he jumped right in and made a decision that a person being paid to make those decisions wouldn't make. Good or a bad thing? Only jewelry will tell

Now we're hearing Booker and KD were "consulted" on the Monty firing, which leaves me with more questions than answers

James Jones is who called Monty and let him know. Did Ishbia not want to make the phone call himself or did Jones ask to handle that? Because if Jones made the call at Ishbia's request - Jones likely now knows his new roll

I also wonder who "consulted" Book and KD. I'm guessing it was Ishbia??

And lastly - Ishbia has no previous attachment to this team or it's coaches. If Ishbia wasn't feeling Monty Williams - than he definitely wasn't feeling CP3 or Ayton - and he'll likely want them and their contracts gone

Overall I am still good and optimistic with Ishbia - where there's a billionaire there's a way - and I think we're all just happy Sarver is gone

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I heard from perusing my Suns content, that Jones asked to inform Monty. Probably because he brought Monty in. I am hearing Ishbia informed Monty right after the loss, and Monty was shocked. Ishbia also held his water, and the story didn't start leaking out until Saturday.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I heard from perusing my Suns content, that Jones asked to inform Monty. Probably because he brought Monty in. I am hearing Ishbia informed Monty right after the loss, and Monty was shocked. Ishbia also held his water, and the story didn't start leaking out until Saturday.
I figured Jones would want it to come from him, but wow man I didn't know it went down like that

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
FWIW, I have no problem with Matt Ishbia consulting Booker and KD and wanting a player perspective on the head coach. Like it was mentioned above, he's only been here a hot minute. Matt can see the same games we are seeing and probably drawing similar conclusions. My observation is Matt is looking to elevate everything he can to make the Suns better. Coaches, players, people who greet you coming into the stadium. Matt himself has mentioned cooks, front office, etc.

I can't wait to see how that looks this off season. I do like the speed he is moving at. With Sarver it felt like we were always picking last on players, coaches, etc. Lets get in the from of the line when picking from now on!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I meant Ishbia made the decision right after the loss. James Jones did inform Monty.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'd like to know the timing of all of this. How do you consult KD & Book if Monty is notified by JJ right after the loss? How much time did they all have with this? Was it made from an emotional place right after the loss?

All this does is bring up more questions IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd like to know the timing of all of this. How do you consult KD & Book if Monty is notified by JJ right after the loss? How much time did they all have with this? Was it made from an emotional place right after the loss?

All this does is bring up more questions IMO.
That was my bad saying he was told right after the loss. He made the decision right after the game. You can ask players about the coach before that. Strengths/weaknesses, do they like him, etc. You get feedback from your guys. I doubt he went to them and said, "what do you think if I get rid of Monty?" I am guessing he asked general questions, watched the game, and then made the decision. It sounds like he then talked to James Jones, who then informed Monty.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red flags anyone?

Ishbia is like that one kid who finally gets his own car, then just throws all kinds of mods at it not knowing that 20” rims make it ride too hard, and lower suspension doesn’t always mean the best ride. Then spray paints his interior or some random body panel some mismatching color.

Well, he got his team. He made his splash trade. Fired his coach. Hired the predecessor. And we still haven’t addressed the performance mods. Talk about putting JJ in a tougher spot than he already was in.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Red flags anyone?

Ishbia is like that one kid who finally gets his own car, then just throws all kinds of mods at it not knowing that 20” rims make it ride too hard, and lower suspension doesn’t always mean the best ride. Then spray paints his interior or some random body panel some mismatching color.

Well, he got his team. He made his splash trade. Fired his coach. Hired the predecessor. And we still haven’t addressed the performance mods. Talk about putting JJ in a tougher spot than he already was in.
He took a company from 12 employees to 7000 in a few years. You may be underestimating him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He took a company from 12 employees to 7000 in a few years. You may be underestimating him.

He took away half of our first rounds picks and gutted our our serviceable/usable roster in months.

We are not here to scale a business model.

Edit: with enough money you can scale most businesss, I’ve watched shark tank enough to know that.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Reaction score
He took away half of our first rounds picks and gutted our our serviceable/usable roster in months.

We are not here to scale a business model.

Edit: with enough money you can scale most businesss, I’ve watched shark tank enough to know that.
He just started with the Suns. You've watched Shark Tank? Really? It took him years to build up his company, not months. Rome was not built in a day. We could have Sarver. Business is business, give it some time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Red flags anyone?

Yeah I think he's probably a disaster, but he might get lucky. I said right after the Durant trade that I wanted Ishbia at my poker table, and that opinion has not changed. At least the Suns will be willing to spend.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Was it a basketball team? There's this weird idea that success in one field means that you'll be successful at another. I'm very good at what I do, but that doesn't qualify me to be a hands-on sports franchise owner.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Was it a basketball team? There's this weird idea that success in one field means that you'll be successful at another. I'm very good at what I do, but that doesn't qualify me to be a hands-on sports franchise owner.
No, it was not a basketball team. But it has been proven over and over a great manager/CEO can be successful in another field. I learned that 50 years ago.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it was not a basketball team. But it has been proven over and over a great manager/CEO can be successful in another field. I learned that 50 years ago.

You could make a case that all NBA owners are super successful in their field, that's how they became NBA owners. This idea Ishbia was successful in another venture means very little when he's competing with 29 other owners that have had similar success. Those 29 other owners have been in the sports game longer though. Look at Steve Balmer and the fortune he amassed helping build Microsoft but what success has he had? He's spent lots of money on the Clippers and is in a more desirable market than the Suns. Spending isn't everything and previous success means next to nothing at that level.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yeah I think he's probably a disaster, but he might get lucky. I said right after the Durant trade that I wanted Ishbia at my poker table, and that opinion has not changed. At least the Suns will be willing to spend.
If Ishbia was playing poker, he would be awful. The Nets called his bluff, so he went all-in, only holding a pair of deuces.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He just started with the Suns. You've watched Shark Tank? Really? It took him years to build up his company, not months. Rome was not built in a day. We could have Sarver. Business is business, give it some time.

Rome wasn't built in the day but it was burned down in less than one.

I think Ishbia has far better intentions than Sarver but I don't know that ambition and impatience combine to be good qualities.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sarver supposedly had the Midas touch when it came to banking. Basketball? Not so much.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Rome wasn't built in the day but it was burned down in less than one.

I think Ishbia has far better intentions than Sarver but I don't know that ambition and impatience combine to be good qualities.
It seems he was trying to make a splash. But I think he will be more patient in the future.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, If you look around the league at guys that are truly available. There's not going to be any higher than KD, especially when he was available. Ishbia grabbed the top guy in the league who was available. It's still not a bad place to be, imho, to build around KD and Booker. We have seen Booker go to another level in play since KD joined the team. That alone made the trade a minor success. IF have both KD and Booker bring gravity to a higher notch of players coming to AZ, then it will be a success. If they can parlay that to a championship, then it can't be denied it worked. I think the story on if this trade really worked, doesn't really begin until now. This off season will give us an idea if this trade has leverage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK, If you look around the league at guys that are truly available. There's not going to be any higher than KD, especially when he was available. Ishbia grabbed the top guy in the league who was available. It's still not a bad place to be, imho, to build around KD and Booker. We have seen Booker go to another level in play since KD joined the team. That alone made the trade a minor success. IF have both KD and Booker bring gravity to a higher notch of players coming to AZ, then it will be a success. If they can parlay that to a championship, then it can't be denied it worked. I think the story on if this trade really worked, doesn't really begin until now. This off season will give us an idea if this trade has leverage.

The Suns already made the Finals and set a record for franchise wins without Durant.

IMO, anything less than a championship after trading for Durant is a failure. He will be 35 when the season starts.

The Suns gave up a ton of assets to get him essentially shortening their window of opportunity now and into the future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right now the trade was a failure. The Suns aren't in a better position than they were prior to the trade. They suffered the same embarrassing second round exit after a blowout on their home floor. So we didn't achieve more and we now don't have a coach. Say what you want about Monty but he took us to the playoffs 3 times in 4 years and to the Finals as well. We haven't hired his replacement yet but we've seen some coaches sign on elsewhere that we had our eye on. With the new CBA in effect we're almost forced to trade Ayton and/or CP3 for depth because there's no other way to acquire depth players beyond minimum contracts. We can't even sign buy out players next season if they make more than the midlevel exception, which 90% of the buyout players do. So we're in a very difficult spot where we need to win now before KD falls off a cliff like CP3 did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose