New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what Booker wants. What Devin wanted mattered greatly to me prior to this last trade but now, it's irrelevant IMO. Thanks to the Durant trade, we're either going to waste the prime of Devin's career or we're going to trade him.

I wish there was a time machine to go back and undo the trade for Durant.

The trade was a massive overpay. It's likely going to take years and years for the Suns to recover.

It's ironic, this trade could lead to making the Suns worse, not better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No chance.

And if that somehow were true, we should track down those offers.

It's hard to see a team remotely trading the Suns the type of quality assets they gave up for Durant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a time machine to go back and undo the trade for Durant.

The trade was a massive overpay. It's likely going to take years and years for the Suns to recover.

It's ironic, this trade could lead to making the Suns worse, not better.
I don't see it as irony, I see it as highly predictable. If we're smart and especially if we're proactive, we might be able to salvage our future. But we're screwed for a few years no matter what. Once upon a time the Nets made a trade that was almost as stupid as ours was and they found their way back in just a few years once they finally gave up on the fantasy. But we need to act before KD becomes nothing but a giant contract and before Devin lowers his value by demanding a trade. IOW, if we can't magically fix the roster by midseason, it's time to accept reality and act accordingly. JMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see it as irony, I see it as highly predictable. If we're smart and especially if we're proactive, we might be able to salvage our future. But we're screwed for a few years no matter what. Once upon a time the Nets made a trade that was almost as stupid as ours was and they found their way back in just a few years once they finally gave up on the fantasy. But we need to act before KD becomes nothing but a giant contract and before Devin lowers his value by demanding a trade. IOW, if we can't magically fix the roster by midseason, it's time to accept reality and act accordingly. JMO.

This is what should happen but it's the same owner that pushed hard to make the trade.

I'd like to see an owner that would be willing to walk back a mistake or do whatever he can to correct it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't trade for a dude Durant's age with your eye on the future.

And, statistically, the healthy version of the Suns prior to February was quite a bit better than the product we put out there after the trade. The needle moved, but in the wrong direction.
The idea that this trade was for the future of the Suns is a new one to me. Never heard that before. This was basically for the end of last season and this season IMO or while this short window with him is available. That's all. The previous version of the Suns was going nowhere.

When Durant and Booker were healthy, the team was 14-5 in the regular season and playoffs, including wins over the healthy T-Wolves, a Kawai Clipper team and two Ws against the Nuggets.. And that was with injuries knocking Paul out of two games and having zero time to practice with each other as opposed to your February Healthy Fantasy Suns who were what… 15-6 when you put together various spots of them being healthy? And had played together for over two years?

Also, your February Suns fantasy is just that… a fantasy because Paul was never going to stay healthy and Bridges proved once again this playoffs that he completely craps his pants when the pressure is on.
Yep. How many wins Bridges manage in the playoffs? I think it's great to see Bridges mature as a player but that doesn't mean it would have happened here or that his game translates into wins. Paul is getting older. Ayton is never going to live up to his draft position. Thinking that team was going anywhere was a pipe dream. Maybe this Durant trade is too. However, at least they didn't roll out there with the same collapsing and disappearing team. They tried SOMETHING.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't care what Booker wants. What Devin wanted mattered greatly to me prior to this last trade but now, it's irrelevant IMO. Thanks to the Durant trade, we're either going to waste the prime of Devin's career or we're going to trade him.
It's gonna be both....waste his prime and then have to trade him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea that this trade was for the future of the Suns is a new one to me. Never heard that before. This was basically for the end of last season and this season IMO or while this short window with him is available. That's all. The previous version of the Suns was going nowhere.
Taking both picks and players into consideration, our team probably rated an 8 and would likely have needed to be a 9 to be a real title contender. But the trade left us with assets valued at roughly 5 and that number is likely going to decline rapidly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gonna be both....waste his prime and then have to trade him.
Well, I'm an optimist so I'm going to fantasize that the same fool(s) that made this last trade is going to quickly recognize the consequences of that rash decision and make wise choices afterward. But yeah, if we fall flat on our face this next season and start talking about how wonderful the following season will be when everyone gets healthy again, we're screwed for a long time. We either get great trade value for Devin or we're soon to be a bottom dweller for years to come.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well, I'm an optimist so I'm going to fantasize that the same fool(s) that made this last trade is going to quickly recognize the consequences of that rash decision and make wise choices afterward. But yeah, if we fall flat on our face this next season and start talking about how wonderful the following season will be when everyone gets healthy again, we're screwed for a long time. We either get great trade value for Devin or we're soon to be a bottom dweller for years to come.
Should probably start a thread for high school and 1 and done players to watch for 2025.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking both picks and players into consideration, our team probably rated an 8 and would likely have needed to be a 9 to be a real title contender. But the trade left us with assets valued at roughly 5 and that number is likely going to decline rapidly.
IMO there are two things that have to happen. You have to have two guys that can be relied on consistently. That was never going to be Booker/Ayton, Booker/CP3 or Booker/Bridges. IMO, none of those guys were going to be consistent enough. So, move had to be made. Second, you need a competent bench. Which is harder to get? IMO, it's the two stars. That's harder. Again, you can't do one without the other. Maybe the Suns felt in this window they could tweak the bench while this window was open. That to me is a much better bet then....hey maybe some star will fall to us...somehow. I will say it again, this was a risk and it cost us but one I don't blame them for trying.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO there are two things that have to happen. You have to have two guys that can be relied on consistently. That was never going to be Booker/Ayton, Booker/CP3 or Booker/Bridges. IMO, none of those guys were going to be consistent enough. So, move had to be made. Second, you need a competent bench. Which is harder to get? IMO, it's the two stars. That's harder. Again, you can't do one without the other. Maybe the Suns felt in this window they could tweak the bench while this window was open. That to me is a much better bet then....hey maybe some star will fall to us...somehow. I will say it again, this was a risk and it cost us but one I don't blame them for trying.
Yeah but I blame the hell out of them, not for trying but for trying the way they did. Listen, although I disagree, I can understand others believing that we couldn't win the title with the core we had. But accepting that as gospel and then concluding that we must therefore give up two important rotation players, jettison two other role players and give up 4 unprotected picks for a declining 34 year old who is paid like a top 3 player and whose injury risk is off the charts just floors me. Why not burn down every trailer park in Modesto instead, that has almost the same odds of making us into a title team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I blame the hell out of them, not for trying but for trying the way they did. Listen, although I disagree, I can understand others believing that we couldn't win the title with the core we had. But accepting that as gospel and then concluding that we must therefore give up two important rotation players, jettison two other role players and give up 4 unprotected picks for a declining 34 year old who is paid like a top 3 player and whose injury risk is off the charts just floors me. Why not burn down every trailer park in Modesto instead, that has almost the same odds of making us into a title team.
Well who was available has much to do about "the way they did". I know there are no rumors out there but I believe and have said in the past that Booker at some point of not getting it done here is going to want to chase a ring. I don't see Booker playing out his career here unless you get it done. Like you I don't begrudge people who think the opposite and that we gave up to much or took to big a risk. I disagree with those folks because the definition of insanity is doing what we have done since 1968 which has netted zero rings. High risk move? Yes. Absolutely but No risk it, no biscuit IMO. Now all we can do is hope they have some moves up their sleeves to deepen the bench.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well who was available has much to do about "the way they did". I know there are no rumors out there but I believe and have said in the past that Booker at some point of not getting it done here is going to want to chase a ring. I don't see Booker playing out his career here unless you get it done. Like you I don't begrudge people who think we gave up to much or took to big a risk. I disagree with those folks because the definition of insanity is doing what we have done since 1968 which has netted zero rings. High risk move? Yes. Absolutely. No risk it, no biscuit IMO. Now all we can do is hope they have some moves up their sleeves to deepen the bench.
Trading our trash for KD would have been risky, trading one of the largest packages ever for him is absurd. I don't get why people are ignoring the fact that KD is one of the most overpaid players in the game when you factor in availability. And when you factor in his age and injury risk, it's only going to get worse (and likely, MUCH WORSE).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading our trash for KD would have been risky, trading one of the largest packages ever for him is absurd. I don't get why people are ignoring the fact that KD is one of the most overpaid players in the game when you factor in availability. And when you factor in his age and injury risk, it's only going to get worse (and likely, MUCH WORSE).
Trading trash for KD is not a realistic scenario and they accomplished getting Booker a reliable one two punch which you seem to be ignoring. Nobody is denying the risks with KD. Many of us pointed those out during the trade rumors. Many of us have acknowledged that over and over and over.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with those folks because the definition of insanity is doing what we have done since 1968 which has netted zero rings.
First off, that is NOT the definition of insanity, it's just a cute saying that occasionally is somewhat applicable. But not here and not now. It's not like we've done the same thing all along and it failed, not even close. We've tried a lot of different things along the way, we've even tried stupid and we've tried risky before and still no ring. Okay, so maybe we've never tried anything this stupid and this risky but still, is that any reason to make a horrible move?

How about waiting till the offseason and trading Devin Booker for a couple of up and coming players and 4 unprotected picks. Then, trade Mikal for two rotation players and 4 unprotected picks. Then force feed DA for half a season and when he averages 30 and 10 move him for a couple of young players and 4 unprotected picks. To me, that's far less risky and far less stupid than what we did. And it is almost guaranteed to fail too but at least it's not the same thing we've always done. And it solves the problem for those of you convinced that we were never winning with that group.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such specious argument to say Crowder and Dario were role players traded for KD when Crowder HAD NEVER PLAYED A GAME THIS SEASON and Dario WASNT in the rotation all season AND WASNT EVEN INCLUDED IN THE TRADE.

Really frustrating trying to have an honest convo about this with people who flat out lie about the deal and who wa invovled.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, that is NOT the definition of insanity, it's just a cute saying that occasionally is somewhat applicable. But not here and not now. It's not like we've done the same thing all along and it failed, not even close. We've tried a lot of different things along the way, we've even tried stupid and we've tried risky before and still no ring. Okay, so maybe we've never tried anything this stupid and this risky but still, is that any reason to make a horrible move?

How about waiting till the offseason and trading Devin Booker for a couple of up and coming players and 4 unprotected picks. Then, trade Mikal for two rotation players and 4 unprotected picks. Then force feed DA for half a season and when he averages 30 and 10 move him for a couple of young players and 4 unprotected picks. To me, that's far less risky and far less stupid than what we did. And it is almost guaranteed to fail too but at least it's not the same thing we've always done. And it solves the problem for those of you convinced that we were never winning with that group.
Jesus. First you flat out lie about the details of the trade to strengthen your argument and posit that rebuilding solely around Ayton and him somehow averaging 30/10 and betting us 4 first round picks along with these mythical Bridges four first round picks moving forward with picks from a Booker trade is a better future than Booker/KD for a couple years?

I mean, the flat out lying is bad enough, but hypothesizing the above, especially about Ayton is preposterous.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol

Irrelevant. This constant comparing of Mikal Bridges to Kevin Durant is nuts.

It's irrelevant to answer a question? I didn't bring him up. I only pointed out the flawed logic. Come on, Chap, I know you're biased but it's part of a larger conversation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading trash for KD is not a realistic scenario and they accomplished getting Booker a reliable one two punch which you seem to be ignoring. Nobody is denying the risks with KD. Many of us pointed those out during the trade rumors. Many of us have acknowledged that over and over and over.
My point was that anything of value already made it a risk, not that Brooklyn would trade him solely for cap relief. And while I'm still hoping we got Booker a reliable running mate, that remains to be seen. Durant is still a good player but wasn't as good next to Devin as CP3 was his first year with us. And with KD's age and injury risks, I'm not confident that we're going to see a better version of KD. I know he was playing hurt but that's the norm for him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was that anything of value already made it a risk, not that Brooklyn would trade him solely for cap relief. And while I'm still hoping we got Booker a reliable running mate, that remains to be seen. Durant is still a good player but wasn't as good next to Devin as CP3 was his first year with us. And with KD's age and injury risks, I'm not confident that we're going to see a better version of KD. I know he was playing hurt but that's the norm for him.
The Suns have never had the top two scoring duos in the playoffs. That's been the problem with CP3. If he isn't scoring the other stuff he does better result in a massive amount of points for other guys or they double Book.

Just as many as KD did last season in Brooklyn.
LOL. How is that relevant to each contribution this past playoffs? How is that relevant to Bridges fades every playoffs? Nice reach though.

Lol

Exactly. Plus, it wasn't relevant at all to the point.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns have never had the top two scoring duos in the playoffs. That's been the problem with CP3. If he isn't scoring the other stuff he does better result in a massive amount of points for other guys or they double Book.

LOL. How is that relevant to each contribution this past playoffs? How is that relevant to Bridges fades every playoffs? Nice reach though.

Exactly. Plus, it wasn't relevant at all to the point.
Lol

How is that irrelevant? KD was literally worse last year in the playoffs than Bridges was this year. They won zero games and his shooting was atrocious.