New coach Gannon is a shiny penny, but still a penny!

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow! We waited for a coach so we had to choose what was left after all other head coaching vacancies were filled. Why don’t we wait on our 3rd round pick and just choose last to make sure we think it through. Search far and wide kinda thing. I’m starting to see that the real issue with the organization is Bidwill. Another coach bro? Really! At least Bidwill is charging us season ticket holders for all his mistakes.
This is a real sh-t show. Even if you believe no one wants to coach Murray then you only have to ask yourself… Who extended him at insane money? All roads lead to Bidwill. Why are Eagles fans so happy to see him go?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
There's talk of not allowing any coaching hires until after the Superbowl. That would be a saving grace for this organization and "level the playing field" a bit...though the outcome will probably still be the same....

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Wow! We waited for a coach so we had to choose what was left after all other head coaching vacancies were filled. Why don’t we wait on our 3rd round pick and just choose last to make sure we think it through. Search far and wide kinda thing. I’m starting to see that the real issue with the organization is Bidwill. Another coach bro? Really! At least Bidwill is charging us season ticket holders for all his mistakes.
This is a real sh-t show. Even if you believe no one wants to coach Murray then you only have to ask yourself… Who extended him at insane money? All roads lead to Bidwill. Why are Eagles fans so happy to see him go?
You would have rather given up the 3rd pick and mch more for Payton with no guarantee?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon was one of Monti Ossenfort's top 3 desired coaches (from a list of 10-12) and he was not able to interview him until after the Super Bowl. I honestly don't think Payton was on his radar and would have been the owner's choice had he been traded for. I for one am glad to see that we hired a GM first and let him select his coach. Maybe a football guy is actually making football decisions for a change.

OP
OP
Arealist

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do hope you are right. It has been difficult to go to the games with the lack of effort and readiness by some of the players over the last few seasons.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gannon was one of Monti Ossenfort's top 3 desired coaches (from a list of 10-12) and he was not able to interview him until after the Super Bowl. I honestly don't think Payton was on his radar and would have been the owner's choice had he been traded for. I for one am glad to see that we hired a GM first and let him select his coach. Maybe a football guy is actually making football decisions for a change.
I really think Ossenfort told Bidwill to let Payton walk at that price tag, using the money as the excuse because he didn't want Payton having the control he wanted. I really don't blame him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I really think Ossenfort told Bidwill to let Payton walk at that price tag, using the money as the excuse because he didn't want Payton having the control he wanted. I really don't blame him.
I recall from someone, maybe @Snakester , mentioning the hold up with Payton was control. It could very well be that Mike allowed Monti to negotiate that with Sean and Monti just wouldn’t give up what Sean wanted. If that’s what happened, I fine with that.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I recall from someone, maybe @Snakester , mentioning the hold up with Payton was control. It could very well be that Mike allowed Monti to negotiate that with Sean and Monti just wouldn’t give up what Sean wanted. If that’s what happened, I fine with that.
I think we found a gem & Monti really knew what he was doing in hiring him. This dude talks the talk & maybe it's me drinking the kool-aid but I really think he's as advertised.

OP
OP
Arealist

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You would have rather given up the 3rd pick and mch more for Payton with no guarantee?
Denver gave up a very late first rounder (we could have traded down) and I would have gladly done so to get a proven coach. I so hope I am wrong but I certainly was right about Kingsbury despite being scorched on this forum when I first posted he did not have his team prepared and he was not prepared

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's the same line of BS the organization always tries to sell after reaching for a hire or draft pick. They were always in the top 3 from the beginning. Lol
Playoff coaches were allowed to be interviewed prior to the superbowl or NFC championship game. Just like Ryans met with multiple teams prior to the NFC championship. If he was truly in the top 3, why wouldn't they have interviewed him earlier?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the same line of BS the organization always tries to sell after reaching for a hire or draft pick. They were always in the top 3 from the beginning. Lol
Playoff coaches were allowed to be interviewed prior to the superbowl or NFC championship game. Just like Ryans met with multiple teams prior to the NFC championship. If he was truly in the top 3, why wouldn't they have interviewed him earlier?
This line of "BS" comes directly from Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.

Monti was interviewed last year for some GM positions but fell short during interviews (in his opinion) because he was asked about the potential coaching staff and he realized he had names but did not really know any of them. He asked his agent to get him in touch with his list of 10-12 possible future head coaches and he reached out to them to actually know them personally. The top 3 on his list were Gannon, Glenn, and Callahan.

Monti was hired just before the divisional round of the playoffs and the window to do first interviews with coaches in the playoffs was shut. The week before the Super Bowl you could conduct interviews with members of the SB teams, but only if it was a second interview. So they interviewed coaches as their teams were eliminated including both Glenn and Callahan, but they had to wait for Gannon. So the reason they could not interview him was simply league rules.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Denver gave up a very late first rounder (we could have traded down) and I would have gladly done so to get a proven coach. I so hope I am wrong but I certainly was right about Kingsbury despite being scorched on this forum when I first posted he did not have his team prepared and he was not prepared
But that is still essentially giving up pick 3 and a chance at a blue chip prospect.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monti was interviewed last year for some GM positions but fell short during interviews (in his opinion) because he was asked about the potential coaching staff and he realized he had names but did not really know any of them. He asked his agent to get him in touch with his list of 10-12 possible future head coaches and he reached out to them to actually know them personally. The top 3 on his list were Gannon, Glenn, and Callahan.

Monti was hired just before the divisional round of the playoffs and the window to do first interviews with coaches in the playoffs was shut. The week before the Super Bowl you could conduct interviews with members of the SB teams, but only if it was a second interview. So they interviewed coaches as their teams were eliminated including both Glenn and Callahan, but they had to wait for Gannon. So the reason they could not interview him was simply league rules.
I think he technically had a two or three day window to interview Gannon, but obviously that would have been too rushed and permission hadnt even been granted. They already had requested permission with Ryans before Monti was hired, which lends credence that Gannon was a Monti choice.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he technically had a two or three day window to interview Gannon, but obviously that would have been too rushed and permissionhadnt even been granted. They already had requested permission with Ryans before Monti was hired, which lends credence that Gannon was a Monti choice.
I think it also would have had to have been a Zoom meeting and they wanted to meet with him in person.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two aren't remotely the same and I'm sure you know that.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Well if Albert Breer said it, it must be true. Lol. Because these national sports writers are never wrong.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How true can this be when he didn't even know he was interviewing with the Cardinals until AFTER the Super Bowl? I don't buy that at all. I like the hire, but let's not start changing history about the hire either.