Netflix Stock Tumbles

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix has some quality stuff but the competition is pulling views away that in the past went to them because there was no competition. For example, The Book of Boba Fett was one of the most streamed shows and it wasn't even Disney's + best show this year. Some of Netflix's most viewed shows last year were other networks content: Criminal Minds, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Manifest, Supernatural for example did better than some of their originals.

As Netflix was trying to break into movies last year, Disney dominated them in 2021. For movies it was no competition.

You must be registered for see images attach
Most people don't sign on to Netflix for movies, it is for TV, and mini series.

Nearly all of the movies in the top 15 are kids movies. It is no wonder why Disney + rules there...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, throw in things like Queen's Gambit and Squid Game and they probably have 6-8 of the top 10 streaming shows across all streaming platforms.
Queen’s Gambit came out in 2020 Stranger Things hasn’t been out since… 2019? Squid Game was a phenomenon without a doubt, but if the company is stoked because shows two and three years ago were big, looks like they’re resting on their laurels.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Queen’s Gambit came out in 2020 Stranger Things hasn’t been out since… 2019? Squid Game was a phenomenon without a doubt, but if the company is stoked because shows two and three years ago were big, looks like they’re resting on their laurels.
Sure. I wasn't debating the timeline of the shows. More this line

99% of their content is high budget trash with awful storylines and plot holes wider than the Grand Canyon.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix has some quality stuff but the competition is pulling views away that in the past went to them because there was no competition. For example, The Book of Boba Fett was one of the most streamed shows and it wasn't even Disney's + best show this year. Some of Netflix's most viewed shows last year were other networks content: Criminal Minds, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Manifest, Supernatural for example did better than some of their originals.

As Netflix was trying to break into movies last year, Disney dominated them in 2021. For movies it was no competition.

That list shows that people will use a streaming service to watch movies which already received a theatrical release. Only two of the Disney+ listings were direct to streaming (both were previously planned for theatrical release but were streamed due to the Coronavirus) - Luca and Soul. Red Notice had a one-week theatrical release before streaming and Mitchells vs The Machines did so well that it earned a theatrical release after it had already been available on streaming. Technically, The Tomorrow War and We Can Be Heroes are the only two legit streaming films on that list (made for streaming and were never released in theaters).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That list shows that people will use a streaming service to watch movies which already received a theatrical release. Only two of the Disney+ listings were direct to streaming (both were previously planned for theatrical release but were streamed due to the Coronavirus) - Luca and Soul. Red Notice had a one-week theatrical release before streaming and Mitchells vs The Machines did so well that it earned a theatrical release after it had already been available on streaming. Technically, The Tomorrow War and We Can Be Heroes are the only two legit streaming films on that list (made for streaming and were never released in theaters).
The point had nothing to do with theatrical verses streaming originals. The point that was being made was viewership. It doesn't really matter if something started in the theaters or was an original. The point being is that views are being siphoned off by other streaming services. Disney dominated viewership of movie audiences regardless of where the movie started.

My point about TV viewership was a little different in that Netflix has a better opportunity in that arena because of originals. However, even in that case, some of Netflix's most viewed shows are from other Networks.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point had nothing to do with theatrical verses streaming originals. The point that was being made was viewership. It doesn't really matter if something started in the theaters or was an original. The point being is that views are being siphoned off by other streaming services. Disney dominated viewership of movie audiences regardless of where the movie started.

My point about TV viewership was a little different in that Netflix has a better opportunity in that arena because of originals. However, even in that case, some of Netflix's most viewed shows are from other Networks.
Just an observation on my part. It is ok for us to share things that we notice, right?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Case and point. Here is Netflix's most watched shows 2021 per Neilson (minutes streamed in millions). Again, Stranger Things and a couple others are missing because of delays in season but you can clearly see the problem here. It appears it's acquired programing is more popular than its originals.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding commercials, unless they are going to go back to a $4.99 plan would get a ton of people to cancel. I'd consider it if they added commercials to their highest paid plan.
I believe adding commercials is a plan to have a cheaper netflix option than the current offerings.

So the higher tier should remain commercial free.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this.

Firesticks are horrid. They hide the apps I use behind 2-3 clicks while puttings ad's and their apps on the front even though I clearly use other stuff more often and you cannot customize it.

I have some rokus and some google tvs. My google tv in my room is the fastest and most intuitive interface of them all.

If it werent for core amazon, I would have no amazon products.

I have a firestick. It does have issues yes but the reason I got it is the apps on the rokus are terrible, the tv not the plug in roku device. My living room tv is a roku tv, and I have a fire stick on it. My bedroom tv is a roku, with a roku plug in device. In both situations I got the plug in because the built in app kept hanging and telling me my wifi was too slow, the plugins use the same wifi with no problem. Generally speaking if the Firestick isn't working right I just unplug and replug and it fixes it but shouldn't have to do that.

I do agree about the interface with Prime. I still watch some stuff on it. Ironically the app I hate the most is Netflix, it takes so long to load sometimes I give up and turn it off and back on thinking it hung. But once it logs in it works well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to try HBO Max, Hulu and possibly Apple Tv next. I had HBO Max, watched everything I was interested in and dropped it. I had Hulu for free a free week via Comcast, watched Little Fires Everywhere start to finish never really found anything else I liked so never signed up. Have not signed up for Apple TV yet. I get Prime because I have it for packages, I pay for Netflix and Disney although I'm close to dropping Disney as i've watched everything that interested me

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a firestick. It does have issues yes but the reason I got it is the apps on the rokus are terrible, the tv not the plug in roku device. My living room tv is a roku tv, and I have a fire stick on it. My bedroom tv is a roku, with a roku plug in device. In both situations I got the plug in because the built in app kept hanging and telling me my wifi was too slow, the plugins use the same wifi with no problem. Generally speaking if the Firestick isn't working right I just unplug and replug and it fixes it but shouldn't have to do that.

I do agree about the interface with Prime. I still watch some stuff on it. Ironically the app I hate the most is Netflix, it takes so long to load sometimes I give up and turn it off and back on thinking it hung. But once it logs in it works well.
Weird my experience was the complete opposite. I had 4 Prime devices at one point. The apps were nothing special, two of the devices always seem to be buffering even though I have fast internet. Between that and the constant "advertisement" approach it literally is the worst steaming experience out of all of them. My two 4K Roku devices (separate not built in like TV) have been flawless from an app and hardware perspective (those have dedicated hardware so they might be better) on the same network. I use Apple TV for my other two because I do think they are the best when it comes to home theater but I will never by another FireTv product.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird my experience was the complete opposite. I had 4 Prime devices at one point. The apps were nothing special, two of the devices always seem to be buffering even though I have fast internet. Between that and the constant "advertisement" approach it literally is the worst steaming experience out of all of them. My two 4K Roku devices (separate not built in like TV) have been flawless from an app and hardware perspective (those have dedicated hardware so they might be better) on the same network. I use Apple TV for my other two because I do think they are the best when it comes to home theater but I will never by another FireTv product.

I think we're agreeing my Roku problem is with the app built into the tv. The stand alone plug in Roku works great. My GF watches youtube often in the bedroom and she just uses the built in app on the tv and is constantly having to disconnect and reconnect to the wifi because it says the wifi is too slow. She doesn't like the extra clicks to click on roku then use the roku remote to get to youtube. The actual roku stick works great.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're agreeing my Roku problem is with the app built into the tv. The stand alone plug in Roku works great. My GF watches youtube often in the bedroom and she just uses the built in app on the tv and is constantly having to disconnect and reconnect to the wifi because it says the wifi is too slow. She doesn't like the extra clicks to click on roku then use the roku remote to get to youtube. The actual roku stick works great.
I think the problem in general is built in streaming with TV's. Now that I think about it, that happened with my Samsung 4K TV. Before I bought my Roku device we were using the TV streaming apps and we had NOTHING but problems with buffering etc. I think it's because it simply not dedicated hardware for streaming maybe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem in general is built in streaming with TV's. Now that I think about it, that happened with my Samsung 4K TV. Before I bought my Roku device we were using the TV streaming apps and we had NOTHING but problems with buffering etc. I think it's because it simply not dedicated hardware for streaming maybe.

Engineer at work told me they're just cheaply done interfaces. It's why if you try to do a software update on a tv by wifi it might take 45 minutes or hang. If you plug in an ethernet cable it's 5 minutes or less. The wifi interface on the tv's is just not that good I assume he means the software. We are a wifi company so lots of people here know lots about it and he's a software guy. he said it's not hardware limited it's the software.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engineer at work told me they're just cheaply done interfaces. It's why if you try to do a software update on a tv by wifi it might take 45 minutes or hang. If you plug in an ethernet cable it's 5 minutes or less. The wifi interface on the tv's is just not that good I assume he means the software. We are a wifi company so lots of people here know lots about it and he's a software guy. he said it's not hardware limited it's the software.
Except in my case, it was connected via Ethernet. Still had frequent dropouts and buffering at times. Used the EXACT same setup, same ethernet connection and it went away with the separate hardware.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is both. Most Roku TVs don't use the greatest processors/chipsets. You don't see as many issues with the LG/Samsung OS.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except in my case, it was connected via Ethernet. Still had frequent dropouts and buffering at times. Used the EXACT same setup, same ethernet connection and it went away with the separate hardware.

Weird.

Both of my tv's are now TCL, my LG's both crapped out. I was told by the same guy at work that TCL and LG are essentially identical the hardware that is. So far he's been right. But maybe that explains my issue maybe LG has better apps and software than TCL does and that explains my issue.

Interesting

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it is both. Most Roku TVs don't use the greatest processors/chipsets. You don't see as many issues with the LG/Samsung OS.
Tizen is BY FAR the worst OS out in the market today. I release and test apps on the platform and it is the absolute worst. None of them are that great, but Samsung takes the cake.

The best operating system I use? My Xbox One, and only Playstation is close to as good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with this. I have had issues in the past with my LG smart TV as well doing similar things. Having a dedicated chipset on a separate device that isn't also running the TV is an advantage. It's also why for example you will see a big difference with sound letting your TV do the processing verses a dedicated receiver. Try comparing sound output letting your TV do the processing verses a receiver and it's no contest.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with this. I have had issues in the past with my LG smart TV as well doing similar things. Having a dedicated chipset on a separate device that isn't also running the TV is an advantage. It's also why for example you will see a big difference with sound letting your TV do the processing verses a dedicated receiver. Try comparing sound output letting your TV do the processing verses a receiver and it's no contest.
I have always hard wired my TVs. I also typically use 3rd party devices instead of the streaming apps built in.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe adding commercials is a plan to have a cheaper netflix option than the current offerings.

So the higher tier should remain commercial free.
That is the way Paramount+ is - $4.99/month with commercials, $8.99 without

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose