NEED INFO RE: Phone Services in AZ

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Who besides Qwest does phone service in metro Phoenix? ATT? Verizon?

What about DSL? ATT? Verizon?

I need info ASAP b/c I need to get these things ordered so they will be ready by the time I get there..........

Again,

Thanks for all the help guys/gals :)

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
For all your needs I'd go through Cox. I have my digital cable, DSL, and am looking into switching my phone over. I've never had any problems and they're cheaper than Qwest. Plus with Cox digital cable you get most of the Suns home games.

OP
OP
Stronso

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Do I need to sign up for Cox cable to have the phone service? Can I also get DSL through Cox?

I just HATE Qwest - they sucked big time when I used to live there and I have been very happy with ATT but they do not provide local serivce yet in AZ

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
You can get your phone service from Cox Communications as well as you high speed internet service and cable. Three services in one package. Their phone number is (623) 594-1000.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Stronso
Do I need to sign up for Cox cable to have the phone service? Can I also get DSL through Cox?

I just HATE Qwest - they sucked big time when I used to live there and I have been very happy with ATT but they do not provide local serivce yet in AZ

The high speed internet from Cox is 10x faster than DSL, and you don't have to have cable tv service to get the phone and/or internet.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you don't need the internet service to have the phone service.

But if you're going to want internet, you may as well get it through Cox so you'll have a discount. Your cable too, although I like Direct TV.

Mike

OP
OP
Stronso

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
No, you don't need the internet service to have the phone service.

But if you're going to want internet, you may as well get it through Cox so you'll have a discount. Your cable too, although I like Direct TV.

Mike

I already have DirectTV and I am keeping that - I am going to go with Cox for phone and DSL

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We live in Mesa - have CableAmerica for digital cable TV and cable modem. For phone we use MCI Neighborhood - alot cheaper than QWEST, we are saving about $5/month for local service.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
The high speed internet from Cox is 10x faster than DSL, and you don't have to have cable tv service to get the phone and/or internet.

Ugh, I hate when people quote that 10X faster nonsense. Cable modems use shared bandwidth - if all your neighbors are on it as well, it can suck your connection speeds down to near-dial up speeds.

It CAN be 10X faster, but not reliably so. And DSL is damn fast for the cost.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I love Cox. In fact I have cox on my T.V. and on my internet. I love looking at Cox on T.V. especially digital.

You can't have enough cox!

Last edited:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Kingof Cards have you come out of the closet??

Section 11 I know what you mean about them piegons they really
bothersom because the always want to drop there messages on your sholder.:D

Navy Mike

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
Ugh, I hate when people quote that 10X faster nonsense. Cable modems use shared bandwidth - if all your neighbors are on it as well, it can suck your connection speeds down to near-dial up speeds.

Agree with that.... Dropped cable for DSL because my speeds varied so much, at peak times I would drop below 5.0 kbps which is slower than dial up...

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H

Then I must be the only user in my neigborhood using cable internet then:rolleyes: ...I'll take the Pepsi Challenge against any DSL user, anytime, anywhere...

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Then I must be the only user in my neigborhood using cable internet then:rolleyes: ...I'll take the Pepsi Challenge against any DSL user, anytime, anywhere...

I thought so to but I was told by Comcast that in a 1 sq mile around me there is 247 cable internet subscribers and I see no drop in speed.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wes

Originally posted by Stronso
Who besides Qwest does phone service in metro Phoenix? ATT? Verizon?

What about DSL? ATT? Verizon?

I

It's real simple, Cox is OK for high speed internet but if you can get it you want Qwest Online.

If your area is supported Qwest can give you high speed internet, digital TV (to the settop box) and phone line down the same pipe.

Cox digitial and Qwest are close to identical, except Qwest is less expensive (at least it was when I signed up). Both provide more cahnnels than you can easily identify.

Down the same pipe, Qwest also provides high speed internet connections. This is vastly superior to Cox and we are now dealing with something that I deal with on a professional basis.

Qwest Online is

1) Faster
2) Bandwidth is not shared, with Cox cable modem you share the loop with other users
3) Symetrical. Qwest provides the same speed for up and down traffic. This is not a big deal if all you do is surf. Conversly if you play online games it is huge. Cox limit uplink speed to 128k compared to by 1MB both ways. I beleive the downlink for Cox is rated at 500K.
4) DHCP addresses. Cox only provides 1 address. Qwest gives you 4 officialy but in practice they don't care or limit you. This means you can have multiple PC connected directly and not have to go through Internet Connectoin Sharing (ICS) on XP

This not DSL, Qwesdt DSL is terrible. It is slow expensive and behind a NAT (Network Address Translator) and a very primitive one at that. They do this so that they do not need to provide you with a read IP address (and hence they don't pay for it). The ramificatoins of this are wide ranging and will screw up things like voice communications on IM. The only way to solve that is aget a static IP from them, which is more expensive.

DSL in this area is a business deal not end user.

Conclusion.

Get Qwest online if you can get it. It is so much better I might adjust where I live to get it.

Otherwise get Cox cable modem.

There are a couple of other more exotic (but not expensive) options but why bother until you find that you need to look into them

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Re: wes

Originally posted by nidan
It's real simple, Cox is OK for high speed internet but if you can get it you want Qwest Online.

If your area is supported Qwest can give you high speed internet, digital TV (to the settop box) and phone line down the same pipe.

Cox digitial and Qwest are close to identical, except Qwest is less expensive (at least it was when I signed up). Both provide more cahnnels than you can easily identify.

Down the same pipe, Qwest also provides high speed internet connections. This is vastly superior to Cox and we are now dealing with something that I deal with on a professional basis.

Qwest Online is

1) Faster
2) Bandwidth is not shared, with Cox cable modem you share the loop with other users
3) Symetrical. Qwest provides the same speed for up and down traffic. This is not a big deal if all you do is surf. Conversly if you play online games it is huge. Cox limit uplink speed to 128k compared to by 1MB both ways. I beleive the downlink for Cox is rated at 500K.
4) DHCP addresses. Cox only provides 1 address. Qwest gives you 4 officialy but in practice they don't care or limit you. This means you can have multiple PC connected directly and not have to go through Internet Connectoin Sharing (ICS) on XP

This not DSL, Qwesdt DSL is terrible. It is slow expensive and behind a NAT (Network Address Translator) and a very primitive one at that. They do this so that they do not need to provide you with a read IP address (and hence they don't pay for it). The ramificatoins of this are wide ranging and will screw up things like voice communications on IM. The only way to solve that is aget a static IP from them, which is more expensive.

DSL in this area is a business deal not end user.

Conclusion.

Get Qwest online if you can get it. It is so much better I might adjust where I live to get it.

Otherwise get Cox cable modem.

There are a couple of other more exotic (but not expensive) options but why bother until you find that you need to look into them

Agreed. The reason I went with Cox cable was the fact that QWest high speed was (and still is) unavailable in my area.