Need Advice on PS3 vs. Blu Ray Player

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ok, I already have an Xbox 360, which I enjoy. I'm not a huge gamer, but their are a handful of games I spend a few hours each week playing. I also purchased a stand alone HD-DVD player before Christmas. Here is my question...Since it looks like BR isn't going away, would I be better to purchase a PS3 for the Blu Ray capabilities or should I purchase a stand alone Blu Ray player? I have one unused HDMI port still available on my plasma tv.

Any advice would be great...cost comparatives, durability, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that stand alone players have that the PS3 does not ATM is DTS:MA. It is one of the new HD audio codecs that became avaiable this generation. It is rumored that the PS3 will be able to release a firmware patch to correct this. It has been over a year now, and still no patch.

If you have ANY indications that you might want to play the PS3 for games, you should probably go the PS3. If you have no desire to play PS3 games at all, I'd probably go with a stand alone player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your into games getting a combo Blu Ray and console is a good deal. If you don't care about games or you want the best video quality out there wait for a Profile 2.0 Blu Ray player. Profile 2.0 gives the next gen Blu Ray stand alone units the same advantage as the PS3 to upgrade the firmware for adding features and compatibility.

They are calling the PS3 "future Proof" but that's not true. That only specifically refers to features and disc compatibility. The PS3 relies on the Cell Processor and software to decode video versus a stand alone's dedicated video processing chip set optimized for video decoding. So as the stand alone players continue to advance in video quality with each subsequent unit, the PS3 video quality will remain largely the same.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your into games getting a combo Blu Ray and console is a good deal. If you don't care about games or you want the best video quality out there wait for a Profile 2.0 Blu Ray player. Profile 2.0 gives the next gen Blu Ray stand alone units the same advantage as the PS3 to upgrade the firmware for adding features and compatibility.

They are calling the PS3 "future Proof" but that's not true. That only specifically refers to features and disc compatibility. The PS3 relies on the Cell Processor and software to decode video versus a stand alone's dedicated video processing chip set optimized for video decoding. So as the stand alone players continue to advance in video quality with each subsequent unit, the PS3 video quality will remain largely the same.

True, in theory, but the PS3 will still allow display the maximum resolution (1080p) just fine. If newer player will be able to play above 1080p somehow, I'd be more concerned.

I'd be more concered about audio quality when purchasing a PS3, than video quality.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
True, in theory, but the PS3 will still allow display the maximum resolution (1080p) just fine. If newer player will be able to play above 1080p somehow, I'd be more concerned.

I'd be more concered about audio quality when purchasing a PS3, than video quality.

If I go with the PS3 is their any other difference, other than capacity, between the 40, 60 and 80 gig versions?

Last edited by a moderator:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I go with the PS3 is their any other difference, other than capacity, between the 40, 60 and 80 gig versions?

Yep, backwards compatibility. The latest PS3's will not play PS1 or PS2 games.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't referring to resolution but video quality. There is a difference. The quality of the decoding is what I am referring to. Look at the reference quality DVD players out now and you will see that the video quality (even though they output the same resolution) is superior to the radio shack brand using a crappy video processing chip set in them. If you compare the video quality of DVD players when they first came out to the video quality of them now, they have drastically improved. They both still output the same resolution (assuming no upconverting) but video processing chips have improved therefore, improving on picture quality.

So when I say that the PS3 will not improve in picture quality over time, that is true. The PS3 uses the Cell processor and software to decode. Where a standalone uses an optimized and dedicated set of video processors. Those chip sets in standalone will continue to get upgraded video chip sets with each successive unit and improve over time. The newer profile 2.0 players coming out are bound to have better video processing capabilities then the PS3 or at least I would hope.

There are at least 3 2.0 profile units around the corner. I am going to wait until then to make a decision.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't referring to resolution but video quality. There is a difference. The quality of the decoding is what I am referring to. Look at the reference quality DVD players out now and you will see that the video quality (even though they output the same resolution) is superior to the radio shack brand using a crappy video processing chip set in them. If you compare the video quality of DVD players when they first came out to the video quality of them now, they have drastically improved. They both still output the same resolution (assuming no upconverting) but video processing chips have improved therefore, improving on picture quality.

So when I say that the PS3 will not improve in picture quality over time, that is true. The PS3 uses the Cell processor and software to decode. Where a standalone uses an optimized and dedicated set of video processors. Those chip sets in standalone will continue to get upgraded video chip sets with each successive unit and improve over time. The newer profile 2.0 players coming out are bound to have better video processing capabilities then the PS3 or at least I would hope.

There are at least 3 2.0 profile units around the corner. I am going to wait until then to make a decision.

I do agree that different decoding chips in these players can increase quality, but not enough ATM to warrant purchasing a stand alone vs. the PS3.

Maybe these "next gen" next gen players will have enough of a benefit to warrant the purchase of a stand alone. Time will tell.

turtle

Reaction score

The 60gb has hardware backwards compatibility for ps1 and ps2 games. It also has built in wi-fi, 4 usb ports, and flash card readers. This was a launch model, they quit making them a while ago, so it would be very hard to find in a store.

The 80gb has software backwards compatibility for ps1 and ps2 games. Some ps2 games will not work correctly. Sony has a list on their site on what games work and do not work. Last time i checked 90% of the ps2 games would work on this system. It has everything else that the 60gb version has. I have read that BestBuy stopped getting in new shipments of this model and that it might be phased out soon.

The 40gb version has wi-fi, no flash card readers, and only 2 usb ports. It has no support for ps2 games but I heard it can play ps1 games (not 100% sure on that). Sony hasn't ruled out adding ps2 support later on.

For playing blu ray movies, they all function the same.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree that different decoding chips in these players can increase quality, but not enough ATM to warrant purchasing a stand alone vs. the PS3.

Maybe these "next gen" next gen players will have enough of a benefit to warrant the purchase of a stand alone. Time will tell.

We shall see. If I bought a PS3 I would probably spend the extra cake on all the bells and whistles. So to pony about another 100 or so for a standalone is not out of the question.

If I bought a PS3 it would be for the Blu Ray and not the games. Their library doesn't impress me nor anything else it has to offer besides Blu Ray.