NBA to crack down on 'overt' complaining (AP)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about overt flopping? including Dudley and Nash.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the follow-up article "NBA to Crack Down on 'Overt' Bad Officiating"...

I have a feeling it's not coming....

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So they are going to apply the Stat rules to everyone? Amare does a fist pump and gets a T, even as a Knick I'm sure.

Something tells me this still wont apply to Kobe, Lebron or Duncan.

I agree they should crack down on flopping and crappy officials. Complaining about calls isn't whats hurting the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another way an NBA referee can slant the game one way or the other. They already have enough power to call a technical when they see fit. This just pushes the envelope even further. They already make too many bad calls.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
If they can implement this correctly (i.e. uniformly and fairly) this will be a huge improvement. IMO the constant whining is a huge eyesore when watching a televised game, and it would be fantastic if this could help to eliminate it. That being said, I have basically zero faith that it actually will be implemented fairly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can implement this correctly (i.e. uniformly and fairly) this will be a huge improvement. IMO the constant whining is a huge eyesore when watching a televised game, and it would be fantastic if this could help to eliminate it. That being said, I have basically zero faith that it actually will be implemented fairly.

Done right, it's a nice start but there's still work to do. I'd love to see them find a way to take the coach out of the referee business. I hate watching coaches work the refs during the game and through the media also.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If they can implement this correctly (i.e. uniformly and fairly) this will be a huge improvement... That being said, I have basically zero faith that it actually will be implemented fairly.

Right, exactly: When's the last time the NBA implemented anything "uniformly and fairly"?

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
Just another way an NBA referee can slant the game one way or the other. They already have enough power to call a technical when they see fit. This just pushes the envelope even further. They already make too many bad calls.
+1
It's all about the control. We need checks and balances, you can't have a single entity with 100% control of the game.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Right, exactly: When's the last time the NBA implemented anything "uniformly and fairly"?

Amen.

There is nothing new. The rules committee refuses to clarify really simple stuff like "What is a charge versus a blocking floul?", "how much contact in the lane is acceptable and what isn''t"?, "how little is incidental contact?" and so on. Every referr call becomes automatically "right" if there is no real standard.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The refs should call the game, not get in the middle of it and determine the outcome.

Sometimes the best way to do a job, is to make it seem like you're not even there.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The refs should call the game, not get in the middle of it and determine the outcome.

Sometimes the best way to do a job, is to make it seem like you're not even there.

How true. The only time that fans talk about referees or umpires is when they call a bad game or (as in the NBA) favor one team over another.

The same with Coaches and Managers.

If they do their job right, it is about their five players on the court or nine players on the field. Most fans don't go to see the Coaches or Managers perform. That's supposed to be behind the scenes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the refs should call the game but the players should just play the game and the coaches should just coach the game. Ref baiting and ref manipulation take away from the game and I'm all for putting an end to it if possible.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Don't the players determine the outcome, by deciding whether to follow the rules or not? It's like you're saying that physics should stay out of the way in governing the ball's flight mid-air, and just let the players decide whether a shot should go in.

Referees make too many mistakes, but enforcing the rules isn't one of them. That's why they're there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't the players determine the outcome, by deciding whether to follow the rules or not? It's like you're saying that physics should stay out of the way in governing the ball's flight mid-air, and just let the players decide whether a shot should go in.

Referees make too many mistakes, but enforcing the rules isn't one of them. That's why they're there.

Except for the most blatant violations, the referees often interpret "rules" differently from game to game and from regular season to playoffs. It is often the case where players want to know who are refereeing the game because of the differences and prejudices in how they make the calls.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
They tried to implement this the year the new ball was brought into play - both were gone by New Year. I expect it to be no different this year. Trying to take emotion out of the game is stupid; we aren't dealing with cyborgs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this rule is going to be implemented for about 2-3 weeks pretty normally. then
it'll fade into the back of the refs' minds. then its just another one of those rules, that when called, people are going to be upset about.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except that gravity is constant. Rules (enforced by refs) change from game to game, player to player, from ref to ref.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Except that gravity is constant. Rules (enforced by refs) change from game to game, player to player, from ref to ref.

Yes, but when people cry, "Let the players play!" what they usually mean is, "Stop calling so many fouls," even though the fouls are ones that should be called and would be called under all normal circumstances.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this move. Look, I don't want the game to become a foul fest. However, I am sick of these NBA players whining and crying over calls. This sport is one of the hardest to ref IMO. It's impossible because of all the subjective type calls in the rules.

I think they can accomplish stopping the whining by simply calling those technical early. You call them early it not only sets the tone but players who whine won't be able to for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for the most blatant violations, the referees often interpret "rules" differently from game to game and from regular season to playoffs. It is often the case where players want to know who are refereeing the game because of the differences and prejudices in how they make the calls.

Game to game? I think you meant possession to possession. It drives me nuts when guys are getting hacked with no call and then later in the same game a foul is called when a fingertip grazes someone who's driving to the basket.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When players and coaches seek to manipulate referees by complaining, it takes away significantly from the game. This happens both during the game and between ( see Phil Jackson). The only way to solve this is to create an effective appeal system during the game that does not allow players to simply complain to the refs. As longs as the line is fuzzy, nothing will change.

The old "only team captains may speak directly to the refs" thing that we did in high school seemed to work pretty well.

Of course, it would help if NBA refs weren't crooked.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Ginobili is going to be out of the game in the first 5 minutes lol. I like the new rule!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard