NBA and NBPA reportedly agree to a new 7 Year Collective Bargaining Agreement

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the positionless awards. It's about time. Just wish it was less fan oriented.
I don't like it. We are just going to end up with 10 guards one a few small forwards and one or two centers. Players that do the dirty work of defense and rebounding are getting less and less respect.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The midseason tournament games will be in the regular season schedule, the final 2 teams from it will play 1 extra game as the final for the tournament is separate, similar to the play in.

Since there's only 1 game actually added to the schedule, the very last game for the tournament prize, it's not too bad as it'll give teams a little more incentive to play in November/December and if the payoff is enough then players won't mind the additional game either since only 2 of the 28 teams will have to play any games and it's just 1 added game.

So what happens to the teams that lose? Are there losers brackets in the tournament or do they revert back to some sort of pre-determined schedule for losers? Seems like this could alter the strength of schedule balance a bit.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what happens to the teams that lose? Are there losers brackets in the tournament or do they revert back to some sort of pre-determined schedule for losers? Seems like this could alter the strength of schedule balance a bit.

It's flex scheduling so it won't change much of anything as it's early in the year so strength of schedule isn't as much of an issue and teams always face other teams in the NBA at least 2 times. They'll likely seed it by division since you play division rivals 4 times over the course of the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize this is going to apply to the suns also right?

Yes, it could. It all depends on how over the tax line they are. I used the Warriors as an example because they're way over the tax line. It all depends on whether the Suns can free up some salary space before this comes into play.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kicks in the following season.
Good to know. Which means this offseason is going to be the last chance (outside a trade) to likely add to this roster for this run. It's going to be a critical offseason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like it. We are just going to end up with 10 guards one a few small forwards and one or two centers. Players that do the dirty work of defense and rebounding are getting less and less respect.

I don't disagree. This seems to be the direction the new NBA wants to go.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yes it emphasizes building through the draft - not exactly James Jones strong point.
Yeah, especially this. But actually, it's been a deep Suns flaw ever since JC left.

It really put the franchise behind the eight-ball most of the last 15 years or so, constantly trying to make up for in other ways what they couldn't gain by drafting intelligently. And that was made doubly difficult with an incompetent/skinflint owner who also often failed to hire competent front office people.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guards are rebounding more than ever before. Look at players like Harden, DeJounte Murray, Luka, Westbrook, etc who average triple doubles or very close to it. More guards and wings are dominant than bigs. Other than Giannis, Embiid, and Jokic what bigs deserve recognition in the form of All-NBA honors? The drop off from the top Centers to the second tier is greater than any other position. When paychecks are linked to awards like All-NBA honors then the top 15 players should be selected instead of shoehorning a 3rd Center because they have a minimum number to select.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yahoo Sports has a good write up that provides some more insight into the new CBA and also goes over what isn't known at this time. It may answer some questions, it may cause new questions to come up, ultimately I thought it was a good informative read. It is a little lengthy but it's editorialized so it's not a dull read, at least I didn't think so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN+ has a good article up detailing changes to the CBA and how it will effect the league next year and beyond.

Link HERE

Definitely recommend it. Lots to note, Suns should have the taxpayer MLE available. Also interesting note on buyout players.

Here's an excerpt on that...

Buyout season will also look different with these aprons in place. Teams over either apron will be prevented from signing a player waived during the regular season if that player's pre-waiver salary was larger than the non-taxpayer midlevel exception (about $10.5 million this past season). Had this rule been in place for 2022-23, the Clippers would not have been allowed to sign Russell Westbrook, the Nuggets wouldn't have been able to sign Reggie Jackson and the Suns wouldn't have been able to sign Terrence Ross. The Heat, on the other hand, would have still been allowed to sign Kevin Love, despite his pre-buyout salary of $31.1 million, because they were not over either apron.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ESPN+ has a good article up detailing changes to the CBA and how it will effect the league next year and beyond.

Link HERE

Definitely recommend it. Lots to note, Suns should have the taxpayer MLE available. Also interesting note on buyout players.

Here's an excerpt on that...

Buyout season will also look different with these aprons in place. Teams over either apron will be prevented from signing a player waived during the regular season if that player's pre-waiver salary was larger than the non-taxpayer midlevel exception (about $10.5 million this past season). Had this rule been in place for 2022-23, the Clippers would not have been allowed to sign Russell Westbrook, the Nuggets wouldn't have been able to sign Reggie Jackson and the Suns wouldn't have been able to sign Terrence Ross. The Heat, on the other hand, would have still been allowed to sign Kevin Love, despite his pre-buyout salary of $31.1 million, because they were not over either apron.
Lol. That would’ve been in our favor considering we are the only one of the four not getting crap outta our signing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, especially this. But actually, it's been a deep Suns flaw ever since JC left.

It really put the franchise behind the eight-ball most of the last 15 years or so, constantly trying to make up for in other ways what they couldn't gain by drafting intelligently. And that was made doubly difficult with an incompetent/skinflint owner who also often failed to hire competent front office people.
Um. I have been a Suns fan since 1976. JC in my screen name is the same as the JC in your post. I gotta be honest. Jerry Colangelo did not draft very well either. I cannot count how many horrible busts he drafted. I don't think any team drafts that well to be honest. Some teams are better at developing their draft talent and some teams are particularly horrible at the draft (the Knicks come to mind), but the draft is a crap shoot for the most part.

For every Steve Nash, or Michael Finley, there was an Armen Gillian or an Ed Pinckney.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um. I have been a Suns fan since 1976. JC in my screen name is the same as the JC in your post. I gotta be honest. Jerry Colangelo did not draft very well either. I cannot count how many horrible busts he drafted. I don't think any team drafts that well to be honest. Some teams are better at developing their draft talent and some teams are particularly horrible at the draft (the Knicks come to mind), but the draft is a crap shoot for the most part.

For every Steve Nash, or Michael Finley, there was an Armen Gillian or an Ed Pinckney.

That is true and I agree with you as well as @Raindog though because even while JC struck out, he at least took the at bats. Sarver didn't even bother with the draft and when he did, we failed miserably. There's a middle ground that can be found. Hopefully Ishbia is able to revitalize the scouting department and get a G-League affiliate going to help assist with developing young players as capped out tax teams won't have the ability to add talent as freely as in the past.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think the search for the elusive big man did jerry in on his drafts. It was desperation. But his horny, ceballos, Dumas, majerle, Ollie Miller, Finley, person picks were really good identification of talent later.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You can only judge comparative to the league. The Suns drafted very well under JC, especially for a team that virtually never had high picks.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Of course he didn't land every single pick... nobody does. But your memory of his successes may be failing you.

JC's notable draft successes from 1975 onward include Alvan Adams, Ricky Sobers, Walter Davis, Larry Nance, Jay Humphries, Dan Majerle, Jeff Hornacek, Cedric Ceballos, Michael Finley, Wesley Person, Oliver Miller, Richard Dumas, Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudamire... and also, Jayson Williams and Stephen Jackson, neither of whom ever played for Phoenix, but had very successful NBA careers elsewhere. And as Phrazbit noted, many of those were late first round (and later) picks.

As for "horrible busts," I wouldn't necessarily count Gilliam who had a respectable if unremarkable career. Maybe Ed Pinckney, maybe Tim Perry... but they both brought high quality acquisitions in trades. William Bedford definitely was a bust, but ended up being traded for James Edwards, which wasn't bad. Most of the other less successful picks Jerry made were often late first rounders like David Thirdkill, Kenny Battle, Malcolm Mackey, and the like... mostly where the large percentage of all team's picks are failures.

I would put the drafting record of the Suns under Jerry up against most other teams during that period of time, particularly since they were rarely drafting early. In any case, it blows the 18 or so years of drafts under Sarver out of the water.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arguably the top 4 players in suns history breaks out as 1 drafted by JC (Nash), 1 drafted by Sarver (Book) and 2 were acquisitions (Barkley and KJ). Walter Davis was also drafted by JC but Connie Hawkins was technically an acquisition as well (He was assigned to the expansion Suns by the NBA).

The wild card here is that the one guy drafted by Sarver just happens to be the best of the bunch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose