My $8 Nachos Better Not Kill Me

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Found this kind of interesting and kind of worthless all in one fell swoop

the hated station compiled a list of health inspection reports for all major league venues

University of Phoenix Stadium
Arizona Cardinals
Vendors with critical violations: 28%

Inspection report excerpt: Inspectors asked a vendor to toss seven hamburgers being held below the required 130-degree temperature for hot, ready-to-serve food.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5401646

I found this one interesting because the Big A was always a place I wanted to check out a game .... was mildly disapointed when I made it there mainly because the number of obstructed view seats, the dingy concourses and the absolutely scary vendors

16% isn't bad ..... but what is this rat issue

Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Los Angeles Angels
Vendors with critical violations: 16%

Inspection report excerpt: Most recent inspection reports show improvements on rat-related violations that occurred in prior visits.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom line - if you do not prepare your own food, it is dirty.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My dad was a health inspector for the Maricopa County health department...... This is nothing.

He has some Cinco De Mayo festival stories that would make your skin crawl....

---Does anyone know what the dirtiest thing in every kitchen is???

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I found this one interesting because the Big A was always a place I wanted to check out a game .... was mildly disapointed when I made it there mainly because the number of obstructed view seats, the dingy concourses and the absolutely scary vendors

I have been to a TON of baseball and football games at the Big A. (Including my high school games.) I've never seen a "scary vendor". Not so sure about the other complaints for that matter. Can you explain, please, what an "absoluely scary vendor" is?

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
they were on the main concourse down the 1st base line .... just dingy little counters where they sell the hotdogs, etc (built into the concourse - not free standing - when you're ordering your back is to the field and the rest of the concourse and seating is behind you)

basically the concessions next to the restricted view seating with the TVs in the roof that look like they've been mounted there since 1982 - most of which really didn't work

I walked over and grabbed a cheap seat from a scalper because it was sold out on opening weekend last year ..... game started clearing out in the 6th so I was able to move around a bit, finishing the game in what is close to my favorite seats in any ballpark (upper level behind the plate)

the workers themselves were nasty looking, the lines really slow and the whole thing just looked dingy ..... not to mention it took like 8 minutes to grab a dog and pour a beer when I finally got up there

they should have the rally monkey put on a training session .... it's a job a poorly trained chimp could do with ease yet these clowns couldn't come close to compentancy .... i'm just glad I didn't notice any of them drool into the food, although i'm pretty sure they did

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I cook my own food before the game, as long as the beer in the stadium isnt bad I dont care.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, Osprey. I was curious to know your "not-a-local" viewpoint.

Bill Plaschke of the LA Times just had an article comparing Dodger and Angel Stadiums. He deemed the Big A vastly superior and I'd agree. But I'm totally prejudiced. That stadium is "home" to me I've spent so much time there. (I've never given the workers there a second thought.) Dodger stadium is REALLY slow and the lines are much worse. And if you want a GRILLED Dodger Dog you're going to miss two innings.

BTW: UoP has to be the best stadium I've been in and I've been in a few. First time I saw a game there it just knocked my socks off. LOVE IT!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I have yet to make a trek to dodger stadium so I really can't compare

My company has an office near the block in orange and I was staying in a hotel in that area .... so it was an easy walk over to the game

Combined with the fact I really dig stadiums and wanted to check theirs out along with me kind of liking the angels it was a no brainer

Once I got out of the restricted view seats I was able to appreciate the game day experience that much more by actually being able to see the full game

The fans were great and I had a good time chatting with them

The fact that I was able to move around the stadium starting in the 6th was pretty nice - some would say it's a benefit, some a detriment, but I wanted to get a feel for multiple sightlines not knowing when I'd be back and the ushers seemed pretty professional and not militant

So if I had to give an overall grade it would be favorable - crowd was good, game time atmosphere was good, they weren't over the top with distractions - most of the sightlines were good

Where I'd knock it down is that you can tell it's an old stadium - on TV you build up an expectation that it's a lot more modern ..... to me the age really shows in the concessions and the concourses - bathrooms included (frankly it reminded me a lot of the Vet)

Also, I have a hard time with any stadium that is designed with that many fully restriced view seats .... i know each stadium has it's own design challenges that need to be met, but that will knock it down

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It IS old. Opening day was April 19, 1966. My parents took us. We all walked around marveling at how fabulous it all was. :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
3-4 years ago the Big "A" was a Big "F", when it came to health hazards and vendors...the rat problem was well documented at the time. Artie had to dump a lot of money into cleaning up the vending situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave