Murray Hurt His Shoulder Week 9

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Hundley was on some type of secret-probation and agreed to not play and everyone kept quiet about it?

This is a very interesting idea and would help explain some things.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if a bunch of stuff that happened hadn't, and if a bunch of stuff that didn't happen did, the result would maybe have been different.

Not even remotely what I said. What I said was why do people keep saying we should have played Hundley over Streveler. Hundley is not that good, he never has been. Hundley for his career 9 TD"s 13 picks, 5.6 YPA. The best thing about Hundley is he can run, based on what I've seen I think Streveler might be a better runner than Hundley. I don't think it's some huge mystery that Streveler was the backup, I don't think it was some secret punishment of Hundley. I fully believe that Kliff thought Streveler was the better backup because he can run, was a better short yardage option, and that gave him some gadget play usefulness in games. He just never really used him after the first game in that capacity because he preferred to have his best QB, Murray, have the ball.

I want a better backup than either of them I just don't get why people think playing Hundley would have materially changed anything against the Rams. The only chance we had to win that game was Kyler because we fell behind with the picksix. If they had correctly called that back, and we get a Fg, we might have been in that game, with Streveler doing nothing. Because the Rams offense wasn't very good. But the minute we got behind, after the picksix, you knew we were going to likely have to score on offense to win, because it was unlikely we'd get another easy TD set up off the defense, McVay wasn't going to let that happen.

Even if we somehow squeaked out a win there we were going to lose big the next game.

The problem was not having Kyler, not playing streveler over Hundley

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We need better than both of them, I agree. Tyrod Taylor would not be a horrible option and would likely not get in Kyler's head.

Would love to have Taylor as QB2. Solid, veteran presence who’ll likely know his place wherever he goes

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, and work with me here, he needs to be able to be a pocket passer when he gets nicked up.

The thing I remember the most from the last few games was how big the pressure was up the middle.

It actually all adds up quite nicely. Murray's completion percentage stayed relatively the same while other numbers dipped.

The offensive line looked great when everyone was trying to gap contain and keep Murray from running.

Once he couldn't run as much, they just blitzed the middle repeatedly.

You say Murray has to get better in the pocket and I say that comes with better protection up the middle.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This highlights his need to grow as a passer. As K9 said, being nicked up is part of playing in the NFL. This is going to likely be the case every year and he can't be a franchise and winning QB if he is unable to be successful without scrambling.

This guy.

McFly it’s his freaking THROWING SHOULDER. I get you think he’s soft and he sucks, but I don’t care how tough you are if your job is to throw the ball anything that happens to that arm is going to effect how you throw it pocket passer or not. Kind of how that works.

You can pin point where our season changed. We don’t have the weapons to overcome him not being amazing. We don’t have a WR who can catch a 10 yard slant and take it to the house. We don’t have a running game we can lean on when he’s not 100%. Nobody is scared of our running game.

weapons weapons and more weapons this offseason

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy.

McFly it’s his freaking THROWING SHOULDER. I get you think he’s soft and he sucks, but I don’t care how tough you are if your job is to throw the ball anything that happens to that arm is going to effect how you throw it pocket passer or not. Kind of how that works.

You can pin point where our season changed. We don’t have the weapons to overcome him not being amazing. We don’t have a WR who can catch a 10 yard slant and take it to the house. We don’t have a running game we can lean on when he’s not 100%. Nobody is scared of our running game.

weapons weapons and more weapons this offseason

I'd definitely count a decent backup QB as a weapon. Whether it's Mariota or some other guy whose exhibited success in this league. If we had a backup that could have won just one more game than the banged-up non-running Kyler we make the playoffs and maybe he is fully recovered with several weeks off.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
IMO and not trolling, some of you are far too sensitive about KMs deficiencies. It’s like you’re his mommy or something. Face it, every QB has weaknesses, and it’s ok to point them out. It doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks....Hopefully his coaching staff is doing just that.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime you use anything close to "I am not (blank) but "

You are absolutely (blank) and you are aware you are (blank)

Nobody is anyone's "Mommy" because they don't agree with you

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Anytime you use anything close to "I am not (blank) but "

You are absolutely (blank) and you are aware you are (blank)

Nobody is anyone's "Mommy" because they don't agree with you

All of these posts are just opinions. We can politely agree to disagree as adults. There are no right or wrong opinions. I see others point of view although I may not agree with it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these posts are just opinions. We can politely agree to disagree as adults. There are no right or wrong opinions. I see others point of view although I may not agree with it.

saying people are acting like kylers mommy isn’t acting like an adult.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd definitely count a decent backup QB as a weapon. Whether it's Mariota or some other guy whose exhibited success in this league. If we had a backup that could have won just one more game than the banged-up non-running Kyler we make the playoffs and maybe he is fully recovered with several weeks off.

Mariota would be perfect

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was pissed Brett wasn't in vs. the Rams. Hundley showed surprising athleticism during that Seahawks game. As a runner he is a LOT faster than Streveler. The only thing I can think of is he must have been dealing with injury or he was in the doghouse for his domestic violence case. I also remember being pissed about Murray taking that hit in the Dolphins game. I didn't think he was injured but it was by far the worst hit Murray had taken in his NFL career so far.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not even remotely what I said. What I said was why do people keep saying we should have played Hundley over Streveler. Hundley is not that good, he never has been. Hundley for his career 9 TD"s 13 picks, 5.6 YPA. The best thing about Hundley is he can run, based on what I've seen I think Streveler might be a better runner than Hundley. I don't think it's some huge mystery that Streveler was the backup, I don't think it was some secret punishment of Hundley. I fully believe that Kliff thought Streveler was the better backup because he can run, was a better short yardage option, and that gave him some gadget play usefulness in games. He just never really used him after the first game in that capacity because he preferred to have his best QB, Murray, have the ball.

I want a better backup than either of them I just don't get why people think playing Hundley would have materially changed anything against the Rams. The only chance we had to win that game was Kyler because we fell behind with the picksix. If they had correctly called that back, and we get a Fg, we might have been in that game, with Streveler doing nothing. Because the Rams offense wasn't very good. But the minute we got behind, after the picksix, you knew we were going to likely have to score on offense to win, because it was unlikely we'd get another easy TD set up off the defense, McVay wasn't going to let that happen.

Even if we somehow squeaked out a win there we were going to lose big the next game.

The problem was not having Kyler, not playing streveler over Hundley
By your own admission you didn’t watch the game. Streveler was not an NFL player. I mean not even close. Hundley is not good but miles better than streveler. Streveler would be looking up at the pantheon of nfl greats like Ryan Lindley

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By your own admission you didn’t watch the game. Streveler was not an NFL player. I mean not even close. Hundley is not good but miles better than streveler. Streveler would be looking up at the pantheon of nfl greats like Ryan Lindley

Fair enough.

I watched basically every game Hundley played in college, and I saw several of his stints in the NFL. The problem Hundley has ALWAYS had is pocket awareness, he held the ball for ages at UCLA, everyone was saying if they had an OL he'd be so much better but if you actually saw the games half the sacks were him just holding the ball too long.

Now he's improved but he still holds the ball too long. The one year he played a reasonable amount of time, GB 316 PA's, he got sacked 29 times, that was 2017. They didn't have a great OL, Rodgers was sacked often that year when he played but Hundley put up 9 TD 12 picks. They were 3-6 with him, 4-3 without him. The Rams had the best defense in the NFL last year, put in a QB who holds it too long throws too many picks, and btw fumbles quite a bit and you're not going to be able to open up the offense.

I think Kliff had enough time to evaluate the two of them and realized as a gadget player Streveler made more sense. Much stronger so he could get short yardage plays that Murray wouldn't get. When it came time to actually having to play in a game we went through that twice, NE, and the Rams, and both times Kliff selected Streveler not Hundley. NE Kyler was able to play afterall, the Rams Kyler got knocked out so we went with Streveler.

Brett has more NFL experience and is a better thrower than Streveler but I think Kliff correctly realized if we have to throw against the Rams, without Kyler, we're in big trouble anyways so he went with the guy he trusted more.

Maybe it was something else and they're just not telling us but again I don't think it mattered, as soon as that picksix wasn't called back for penalty we were behind in a game where we had very little chance to score on offense without a big play from the defense. We'd already gotten one, we didn't get another.

It would be interesting to know what the players thought, my understanding is the players actually like Streveler but I don't know who they preferred as backup.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was somewhat intrigued to see what Steveler could actually do when he came into the game. It didn't take long to get an answer. But, let's be honest. With that Rams D, do we really think the situation would have been any better if it were Hundley that came into the game? I seem to doubt it. Some have tried to use Hundley's play when he came into the Seahawks game last year. That Seahawk team had lost both their RB's that day (thanks to Budda!!) and their D was just actually pathetic. Do the Cardinals need a better backup QB? Probably. But, with the exception of a handful of teams, that probably applies to most teams in the NFL. Based on the Murray injury this year, and how it affected us down the stretch, I bet the Cardinals will put a little more thought into their Backup QB situation this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose