Movie-A-Day #82: This Is Spinal Tap

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I was thinking of doing some drama or war movie to commemorate Pearl Harbor, but after the Cardinals debacle, I decided to do one of my all-time favorite comedies as my final selection.....

Thanks again to

Amazon.com for the following and thanks for the opportunity to share some of my fave movies and can't wait to do it again.......

Director Marty DiBergi (Rob Reiner) solemnly alerts us to the glory that was Spinal Tap in his introduction to this "rockumentary" about the legendary British heavy-metal group, featuring lead guitarist Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest), lead singer David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean), bassist Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer), and a succession of drummers whose careers were cut short by spontaneously combusting on their stool, drowning in somebody else's vomit, or otherwise perishing in untimely fashion. Under DiBergi's studious interrogation, the band and their familiars retrace the band's evolution from head-bopping Mersey Beat poseurs to head-banging metal poseurs, each change in musical direction or tonsorial chic having little effect on the surviving trio's sublime idiocy. For, as St. Hubbins (he's the "deep" one, relatively speaking) sagely observes, "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

Personal Note: I'm a major music "buff" who loves watching documentaries on my favorite bands..... Rob Reiner simply out-did himself with this satire.....The songs are hilarious and most of the scenes will always be memorable. I appreciate the fact that the actors actually learned how to play their own instruments and perform the songs that you'd believe that they actually exist... It's definitely a worthwhile movie.....The sequel was just a concert, but you'd have to see the 1st to gain a better appreciation.....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The best thing about this movie, and most movies like it, isn't the filmmaking, it's the little things that the characters say--much like Monty Python. Christopher Guest and his crew have certainly become the Monty Python of the United States.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Excellent film, especailly if you've ever been in a band. "A Mighty Wind" is also a great movie made by the same writer/director.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's all about Best in Show man... :)

And just a minor correction, A Mighty Wind was written and directed by Christopher Guest, who wrote and starred in Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap was actually directed by "A Few Good Sleepless Harry Met the Princess Bride" Rob Reiner

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
It's all about Best in Show man... :)

And just a minor correction, A Mighty Wind was written and directed by Christopher Guest, who wrote and starred in Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap was actually directed by "A Few Good Sleepless Harry Met the Princess Bride" Rob Reiner

My bad.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I love this movie. I was going to add it to my week, but wasn't home to post. So many good quotes.

"You can't really dust for vomit"

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported."

"We've go armidillos in our pants, it's really quite frightening."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn