Movie-A-Day #277: Superman (1978)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superman

Tagline: You'll Believe a Man Can Fly!

Cast: Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Glenn Ford, Margot Kidder, Valerie Perrine, Terence Stamp, etc.

Plot Summary: Richard Donner's 1978 epic about the Man of Steel showed how a film about a superhero could be a moving and romantic experience even for people who long ago gave up comic books. Beginning on the icy planet Krypton, the story follows the baby Kal-El, whose rocket ship lands in Smallville, Kansas. He is found there by a childless couple and raised as the shy Clark Kent (the young Kent is played by Jeff East). The film is perhaps most touching in these sequences, with expanses of wheat fields blowing in the wind and with a young man who can't figure out what part in destiny his great powers are meant to play. The second half, with Reeve taking over as Clark/Superman, is bustling, enchanting (the scene in which Superman flies girlfriend Lois Lane--played by Margot Kidder--through the night sky is great date material), and funny, thanks largely to Gene Hackman's sardonic portrayal of nemesis Lex Luthor.

--------------------------------------------------------

With Superman Returns coming soon, I thought I'd toss out the 1978 version. I'm old enough to remember seeing it on the big screen and loving it. I've seen it numerous times since. Great performance by Reeve, especially as Clark. Hackman and Beatty's scenes are hilarious. Hard to believe it's been 27 years since it was released.

Attachments

• superman.jpg
    superman.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 30

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison