Mort Report

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was on ESPN Radio this afternoon:

Chris Mortensen, ESPN , said Emmitt Smith's movement to Arizona could make more sense than most think. Mort says the Cardinals have one of the best offensive lines in football and that's something Smith will need if he's trying to prove that he's still a feature back in the NFL. Mort does have doubts about the reaction of the media, some people will think it's great because they will sell a lot of tickets to Cowboys fans but other people won't understand why they're spending money on a player who's career could be almost over. He also talked about the overtime rule saying that heading into the owners' meetings it seemed like it would pass, but then a lot of owners saw the three pages of notes explaining what constituted a possession, then most of them backed out.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to add something to what Chris Mortensen said -

When we didn't have a great running attack, our pass offense was designed to be more horizontal (i.e similar to the west coast offense where short passes replaced a lot of our running game).

Olson tried to "go vertical" instead last year, but ran into 2 problems: (1) Jake wasn't that accurate deep and (2) the running attack (Shipp notwithstanding) was inconsistent.

With Emmitt and Shipp available to run behind Hodgins and a healthy O-Line and Blake able to throw accurate deep ball off play action fakes that will now be respected, our vertical passing game should beautifully compliment our running game.

I expect us to run a lot of ISO blast and sprint-draw stuff out of the "I" (reminiscent of what Norv Turner did with Emmitt in Dallas) coupled with deep patterns off play action fakes utilizing the same looks as the running plays.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

When we didn't have a great running attack, our pass offense was designed to be more horizontal (i.e similar to the west coast offense where short passes replaced a lot of our running game).

Olson tried to "go vertical" instead last year, but ran into 2 problems: (1) Jake wasn't that accurate deep and (2) the running attack (Shipp notwithstanding) was inconsistent.

With Emmitt and Shipp available to run behind Hodgins and a healthy O-Line and Blake able to throw accurate deep ball off play action fakes that will now be respected, our vertical passing game should beautifully compliment our running game.

I expect us to run a lot of ISO blast and weak-draw stuff out of the "I" (reminiscent of what Norv Turner did with Emmitt in Dallas) coupled with deep patterns off play action fakes utilizing the same looks as the running plays.

DAMN! that even convinced me!

yazmaniac

Reaction score
Next step.....

I expect us to run a lot of ISO blast and weak-draw stuff out of the "I" (reminiscent of what Norv Turner did with Emmitt in Dallas) coupled with deep patterns off play action fakes utilizing the same looks as the running plays.

Sounds good....next step......find someone to CATCH the vertical passes.....

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Next step.....

Originally posted by yazmaniac

Sounds good....next step......find someone to CATCH the vertical passes.....

YAZMANIAC - Great to see you finally found your keyboard!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had a senior moment last night trying to remember the name of the play I erroneously referred to as "weak draw." I meant "sprint draw" (and corrected it in my original post).

Also - I'm not at all convinced that "Blake to McAddley or Gilmore or Kasper" deep (executing the way Sully taught 'em) won't turn out to be devestating with no additional wideouts brought in. (McAddley and Gilmore aren't exactly midgets - and both can fly).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn