Monty and Paul don’t like each other

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let Ayton come out before game 7 and say it’s not life and death just basketball

This board would of melted down.

Paul quit.
I didn't realize he said it before the game, that's quite different. And yes, Ayton would have been shredded for a similar comment.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This made me laugh
remember what else made you LOL, a month go?

when i said i had a slight concern about Ayton recently saying he's "the best" center.
-- a guy who's the exact opposite of Paul.
young, immature, lacking experience, who, by his own admission during this title run was getting frigging, "2 hours of sleep" -- likely playing video games while Paul was studying game film, dieting, exercising, and practicing while he also balanced raising a family

a guy who his coach, allegedly, called a quitter during game 7
"the best?"

it's all about character. give people time (and space) and people will likely reveal their own

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
remember what else made you LOL, a month go?

when i said i had a slight concern about Ayton recently saying he's "the best" center.
-- a guy who's the exact opposite of Paul.
young, immature, lacking experience, who, by his own admission during this title run was getting frigging, "2 hours of sleep" -- likely playing video games while Paul was studying game film, dieting, exercising, and practicing while he also balanced raising a family

a guy who his coach, allegedly, called a quitter during game 7
"the best?"

it's all about character. give people time (and space) and people will likely reveal their own

You?

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't realize he said it before the game, that's quite different. And yes, Ayton would have been shredded for a similar comment.

I think it was the Solar Panel podcast that brought it up before game 7.

His press conference was so odd. They asked him about game 7 coming up and that’s when he said it’s not life and death just basketball

Then someone asked him if he had any advice for his younger teammates about how to approach a game 7 and he said “none at all”

And that was it.

They brought up how he looked like he had completely checked out and now Bickley today brings up all this stuff and him looking like he wanted no part of this.

That’s not the same Chris Paul. Idk maybe something is going on at home

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
when i questioned Ayton saying he was "the best" i got nothing but an LOL and other posters defending him

Because what your doing is dumb.

No man who’s worth anything will tell you yeah I suck or yeah I’m average. I don’t care what you do you should take pride it and try to be the best at it.

What athlete do you know at a high level has ever come out and says different. You think these guys got to where they are by thinking other people are better than them.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think Monty totally values and respects Chris Paul, but it's totally believable that as a coach he doesn't like having his player know more, have more experience, and probably applying what he knows when it doesn't always jive with his own plans or strategy.

but one thing is clear. Monty needs help with strategy. He has no credibility now in navigating through a 7 game series.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This all started when we waived Frank. Our good luck charm and team mascot.

We can all speculate as to what's going on but until they tell us (which they will NEVER do) we wont know.
We can keep blaming this or that but it will all come out in the wash.
I'm gonna chill out and see what happens if CP3 leaves we get a **** ton in return same for DA.
TBO if my coach asked me to go back in when we were down by 30 id tell him to f off too.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because what your doing is dumb.

No man who’s worth anything will tell you yeah I suck or yeah I’m average. I don’t care what you do you should take pride it and try to be the best at it.

What athlete do you know at a high level has ever come out and says different. You think these guys got to where they are by thinking other people are better than them.

yeah. that's what you said last time. but as i said, if he had said, "i'm going to bet the best" i'd applaud. but what he did was reinforce the impression that he is naive and out of touch with expectations and the dedication and work ethic that it takes to be the best

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE ISSUE IS WITH HIM TODAY and the problem that has surfaced in our collapse and him now probably wanting to be traded

dumb? funny? or both?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His press conference was so odd. They asked him about game 7 coming up and that’s when he said it’s not life and death just basketball

Then someone asked him if he had any advice for his younger teammates about how to approach a game 7 and he said “none at all”
someone with perception could speculate that there had been heat in the locker-room after the game 6 blowout, perhaps someone, like Paul, had a strong opinion about some adjustments and Monty cut that person down and reminded them who the coach was, and that they should all just follow directions.

then, when publicly asked for their input, that person might say to the media, "it's not life and death" and offer "no opinion" on what his teammates should do

a perceptive person might speculate that was part of the friction that led to the "day of the dead" on sunday

the last time Paul left a team on bad terms (Houston) was when he questioned D'Antoni's focus on Harden isolations (which cost them their best shot at a title that season). i hadn't liked Paul before then, but i liked him as soon as i heard about that and i totally agreed with him

as i said. people will show you their character in time.
i'll add, that some people can't help but show you how smart they are, because it's hard to contain. Unfortunately, smart people are often disliked when their opinions, regardless of how logical they are, conflict with our personal emotions

emotions rule.
for example, politics are all about emotions, not intelligence
and so are sports

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that the problems are systemic because of how awesome the team chemistry has been the past 2+ years, but it's sounding like there is descension in the ranks. I'm trying to hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt here because the team, at least to this point, has had great leadership and cohesion.

This is strange. You don't want to demolish a 64-win team. At the same time, you want to cut the cancer out if it's going to linger into ensuing seasons. I don't admire James Jones's position at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah. that's what you said last time. but as i said, if he had said, "i'm going to bet the best" i'd applaud. but what he did was reinforce the impression that he is naive and out of touch with expectations and the dedication and work ethic that it takes to be the best

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE ISSUE IS WITH HIM TODAY and the problem that has surfaced in our collapse and him now probably wanting to be traded

dumb? funny? or both?

I’m good with this.

Your just so not aware of what it means to compete.

Every damn player on that team better think he’s the best at what he does.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that the problems are systemic because of how awesome the team chemistry has been the past 2+ years, but it's sounding like there is descension in the ranks. I'm trying to hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt here because the team, at least to this point, has had great leadership and cohesion.

This is strange. You don't want to demolish a 64-win team. At the same time, you want to cut the cancer out if it's going to linger into ensuing seasons. I don't admire James Jones's position at all.
Yeah it’s confounding to all of us, but I’m guessing it’s pretty obvious internally.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah it’s confounding to all of us, but I’m guessing it’s pretty obvious internally.

Players coaches have a short shelf life.

This is playing out just like the Barkley Suns run

Trade for a star

Make the finals in his first year

Do great in the regular season then blow a lead to a big underdog

Westphal only lasted 3 years as coach and Monty reminds me so much of him. He’s a players coach not a great Xs & Os guy and players aren’t stupid they know when things aren’t working and when your told to keep doing stuff that isn’t working it makes guys frustrated and angry

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all started when we waived Frank. Our good luck charm and team mascot.

We can all speculate as to what's going on but until they tell us (which they will NEVER do) we wont know.
We can keep blaming this or that but it will all come out in the wash.
I'm gonna chill out and see what happens if CP3 leaves we get a **** ton in return same for DA.
TBO if my coach asked me to go back in when we were down by 30 id tell him to f off too.

Yeah. Frank may have been the glue guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny because the local media has been dancing around this. There have been a few "locker room" comments by local media guys suggesting there is something but not actually naming names or saying anything. Likely because they don't want to give up a source but where there is smoke? I agree with you. Internally they know what's up.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Trade for a star

Westphal only lasted 3 years as coach and Monty reminds me so much of him. He’s a players coach not a great Xs & Os guy and players aren’t stupid they know when things aren’t working and when your told to keep doing stuff that isn’t working it makes guys frustrated and angry
Monty does remind me a lot of Westphal when he was coaching here... a nice guy but lacking the cutthroat edge you need to win in the post-season.

Monty also has quite a bit of D'Antoni in him - he sees only one way of doing things and damned if he isn't going to stick to that. Eventually, D'Antoni ran his teams into the ground with his single mindedness, and I think Monty very well could do the same. That marked his tenure in New Orleans, as well.

And interestingly, both D'Antoni and Monty have really relied on having a strong "coach on the floor" PG to succeed. Once that was gone, both have seemed to revert to being pretty mediocre coaches.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty does remind me a lot of Westphal when he was coaching here... a nice guy but lacking the cutthroat edge you need to win in the post-season.

Monty also has quite a bit of D'Antoni in him - he sees only one way of doing things and damned if he isn't going to stick to that. Eventually, D'Antoni ran his teams into the ground with his single mindedness, and I think Monty very well could do the same. That marked his tenure in New Orleans, as well.

And interestingly, both D'Antoni and Monty have really relied on having a strong "coach on the floor" PG to succeed. Once that was gone, both have seemed to revert to being pretty mediocre coaches.

Hit the nail on the head

Reaction score
I just feel guilty for comparing Williams to D'Antoni. Here's why: ever since I heard D'Antoni publicly and snottily snub one of his own rookies (in response to being nudged to develop the rookies), I have considered D'Antoni a jerk. Everyone agrees that Williams is reputedly...the opposite of a jerk.

Reaction score

In defense of Paul Westphal (R.I.P.), I'm not sure he lacked such edge. He sure showed it as a player, since he was the one who thought of calling the illegal time-out in 1976. It means that, if nothing else, he was clever and creative in manipulating the rules to his own advantage. I think that because off the court he was known to be a genial man, everyone probably assumes that Westphal was soft on the court. I don't assume that.

It's sort of the same thing with Jeff Hornacek. Because he played years later than Westphal, it's easier to observe Hornacek's on-court persona; but since Hornacek was always been considered a "boy scout" off the court, one could mistakenly suppose he would be a boy scout on the court. Anyone who thinks that would need to see the video I saw of Hornacek getting into a fight early in his career. Hornacek was driven and was more temperamental than he looks.

Yet another example is Kevin Johnson himself. Kevin Johnson more famously was thought to be a good guy off the court (at least until we knew he took a shower with an underage girl); but on the court he was fiery enough to get into unnecessary fights (as well as dunk on Hakeem Olajuwon then scream about it -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
).

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just feel guilty for comparing Williams to D'Antoni. Here's why: ever since I heard D'Antoni publicly and snottily snub one of his own rookies (in response to being nudged to develop the rookies), I have considered D'Antoni a jerk. Everyone agrees that Williams is reputedly...the opposite of a jerk.

I had think who Williams was, mostly everyone here says Monty

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember hearing D'Antoni call Pat Burke "Tragic Johnson" after Burke had a good game which seemed kind of jerkish. Burke seemed insulted when reporters told him about the comment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This has been my greatest fear about monty.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Trade for a star

I don't think the Rockets were underdogs against the Suns in 1994 (they had home court advantage anyway). I guess the Suns might have been favored in 1995 since the Rockets were a 6th seed, but they were the defending champions. Feel free to correct me if I'm misremembering, it was a long time ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose