Mock draft by Gandhi - FINAL

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am impressed with the amount of time and effort you put into this every year and really do enjoy reading about your thought process.

Thank you, Cardiac, it is my pleasure. I like reading how you and other posters lay out your thought-process on various topics, and so I want to do the same for you guys.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Instead of isaiah ford I can see us taking a defensive back

I can too, Juza, but who would you pick? I suppose Rasul Douglas from West Virginia could have been an option, and maybe Jourdan Lewis from Michigan though I project him to be a nickelcorner in the scheme. I like Howard Wilson out of Houston but the third round is a bit too rich for me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can too, Juza, but who would you pick? I suppose Rasul Douglas from West Virginia could have been an option, and maybe Jourdan Lewis from Michigan though I project him to be a nickelcorner in the scheme. I like Howard Wilson out of Houston but the third round is a bit too rich for me.

tabor could drop in the third

witherspoon, rasul douglas, dezmonte king

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
tabor could drop in the third

witherspoon, rasul douglas, dezmonte king

Well, Witherspoon, King and Tabor were all gone by the time. I will agree that Douglas could have been a fine selection. I am not sure that he fits in the system but still he has a lot of potential, and I think you could make the case that it would be worth taking a chance on in the third round.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JMO, but I think we MUST take a CB by Round Two.

I would like them to, Garth, but I do not know if they absolutely have to for the reasons I stated about the issue.

Another thing is that it is, to me, a very risky approach to have the mindset that you must do something. Mainly because it can lead to you drafting someone that is not worthy of the spot, but also because every other team knows about your situation as well, and if you don't watch out very carefully they will take full advantage of it and make you pay for your desperation. It's just how the draft works.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want Sidney Jones round 2 (if he makes it that far)

Easily the best CB in the draft. He's healing up fast. 1 medical redshirt year and we'll have a 10 year lockdown #2 and future #1 CB

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want Sidney Jones round 2 (if he makes it that far)

He was available to me in the second round but do you really want it to be the plan that both your first- and second round pick sit their entire rookie years? I highly doubt Jones can come back during the season, even though he is saying something else, and I think the draft and rookies has become such an important part of any team's success that I am not sure I would dare to leave it up to all the other rookies to contribute on the field.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
do you really want it to be the plan that both your first- and second round pick sit their entire rookie years?

Thats basically been the AZ cardinals drafts for the last 3 years. So what else is new.

Why would our 1st rounder sit this year? (assuming its not a QB)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I highly doubt it has been the plan.

Regardless, if both our 1-2 rookies sit this year, itll be business as usual.

The difference being that this time itll be planned, and not on account of the fact our rookies suck.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Regardless, if both our 1-2 rookies sit this year, itll be business as usual.

The difference being that this time itll be planned, and not on account of the fact our rookies suck.

I actually do believe it makes a big difference if it is part of a plan or not, and I do care. That's what I were referering to when I wrote that the draft and rookies are extremely important.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2016 class is too early to evaluate. Look at the years prior with BASK & compare their hits with other teams.

Though I get you reasoning, Cardncubfan, are you sure that logic still applies? I mean, every team in the league gets a lot of contribution from their rookies, and even the teams that goes very far in the tournament has to rely rather much on their rookies.

The last couple of years the Cardinals has gotten a lot from players such as Alex Okafor, Tyrann Mathieu, John Brown, Markus Golden, David Johnson and J.J. Nelson in their rookie years.

I am not sure it is still acceptable to give a rookie class some years to get acclimated but obviously it is up for discussion, and like I said I completely understand the thinking of it.

Reaction score
Though I get you reasoning, Cardncubfan, are you sure that logic still applies? I mean, every team in the league gets a lot of contribution from their rookies, and even the teams that goes very far in the tournament has to rely rather much on their rookies.

The last couple of years the Cardinals has gotten a lot from players such as Alex Okafor, Tyrann Mathieu, John Brown, Markus Golden, David Johnson and J.J. Nelson in their rookie years.

I am not sure it is still acceptable to give a rookie class some years to get acclimated but obviously it is up for discussion, and like I said I completely understand the thinking of it.

I think it's more a product of our depth at certain psitions where we don't need to start rookies immediately. Now if they come in & out perform the starters in practice & such I can see them starting. Last year we had several injuries at CB so we were forced in to starting Williams at #2 CB when normally he would have sat on the sidelines.