Mitch Mock V. 6.0

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I believe that the Cardinals will want to come out of the first round with one of the elite edge rushers. They will have discussions about the QB prospects...but, when their draft board is set, I believe they will have the edge rushers rated higher than the QB prospects---save one exception and that is Cam Newton---that is, if Whiz and company are convinced that Newton could be Arizona's version of Big Ben.

It would seem that Whiz prefers a big QB with a big arm and better than average strength and mobility---all traits that one sees in Roethlisberger....and all traits that one cannot help but see in Cam Newton.

Then there will be the Super Bowl effect on the entire draft---everyone will see the value in having a big-time QB and big-time pass rushers. Therefore, as teams evaluate their current QBs and their pass rushers, they will lean towards drafting in those areas...which is why the following scenario at the top of this draft is quite possible:

1. Carolina: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Sure, they would love DT Nick Fairley...but Ron Riviera---despite his lust for building a dominant defense---will recognize that the top priority is to get a stud QB in place as soon as possible. There are doubts about Jimmy Clausen---enough doubts that Riviera has to make a critial decision here. What makes this decision even more critical is that the Panthers do not have a second round pick---thus, they can't draft Fairley and then hope for a Ryan Mallett, Christian Ponder or Jake Locker at #33. Thus, they have to take a QB at #1 and Newton would bring the biggest buzz and the most dynamic set of physical skills.

2. Denver: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. John Fox will not be looking for a QB here, as he is comfortable with the Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow combo for next season, and will instead take the most dominant defensive lineman in the draft. There a several good CBs that they can take at #36..so taking a CB at #2 is not imperative.

3. Buffalo: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. Chan Gailey needs his QBOF. Ryan Fitzpatrick gives him respectability for the time being...but if the Bills are ever going to challenge the Patriots and Jets in his division, he needs the QB to do it.

4. Cincinnati: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Marvin Lewis is upset and when Marvin Lewis gets upset he goes and gets himself the best pass rusher he can find...the kind who can make for long afternoons for the likes of Roethlisberger and Flacco.

5. Arizona: Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina. With Newton and Gabbert off the board, Whiz can go ahead and take the edge pass rusher they want and need. Quinn fits the Keith Butler mode best---so this is the pick.

Note: Taking the edge rusher opens up the rest of the draft so that the Cardinals will have flexibility in taking the best player on their board at each given point.

I do not believe that Whiz considers the offensive line one of the higher priorities in this draft, as his plan is to offer Deuce Lutui, Lyle Sendlein and Alan Faneca new contracts in order to maintain continuity. If Faneca retires, the team can slide Rex Hadnot into that spot. Whiz believes that Levi Brown and Brandon Keith will be much improved next season---their second seasons at their respective tackle spots.

The coaches actually like the depth they already have assembled in T/G Jeremy Bridges, C/G Ben Claxton, T D'Anthony Batiste, G/T Tom Pestock and T Louis Cliff.

As for the CB position...that too will not be considered a top priority in this draft. The coaches are high on Greg Toler and feel he will be very good next year---he has all the attributes Keith Butler wants in a backside CB---as does next year's sleeper/surprise, A.J. Jefferson.

At WR the Cardinals already like their depth. And while the Steve Breaston situation seems a little up in the air, the Cardinals will make him an attractive offer with incentives.

38. Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada. The more Whiz and his staff look at this kid the more intrigued they will become. Yes, they are going to have to work him into a pro system, get him stronger and tighten his delivery, but the arm strength, accuracy and sheer athleticism is there...as is this young man's outstanding coachability. Some might consider Kaepernick at this point to be a reach---but pundits like Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock will laud the pick. It's never a reach to draft a QB you think can be special at some point. Plus, the plan is to sign a veteran for two years---which will give Kaepernick the time to assimilate into the system.

69. Jabaal Sheard, OLB/DE, Pittsburgh. Best bull rusher in this draft, who excels on the left side. The plan will be to play Robert Quinn on the right side. O'Brien Schofield will start and Sheard will be the nickel rusher most of the time. It will give the Cardinals a very good, young three man rotation.

102. Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU. One of the more unheralded players in this draft. Big-time plugger and hitter. Sneaky range too. Will have a chance to start at the mike LB.

133. Charles Clay, RB/FB/HB, Tulsa. Big and versatile. Can play a variety of roles in Whiz's offense. A nifty fit.

166. Pernell McPhee, 34DE, Mississippi St. Fits the Cardinals' 34DE mold at 6-4, 285. Good penetrator...slippery...tackle for loss type player.

179. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada. Kaepernick's teammate is a perfect fit here. Green has a little Shannon Sharpe in him. He's sure-handed and tough to bring down in the open field. If he's taken earlier, look for Kyle Adams of Purdue or Zach Pianalto of North Carolina in this spot.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
No O-Lineman in this draft is wince-worthy. If you give up 50 sacks in one season, improving the O-Line needs to be a big priority, regardless of the amount of times the opponent blitzed.

Quinn at #5 is a reach. If you want Quinn trade back and take him, or barring that take Patterson and instantly improve not only the defense but the return game. If Green, Miller, and Peterson are still on the board then Quinn will fall back, especially if Miller hasn't been taken yet. I still believe that Quinn will finish as the 3rd ranked rush backer behind Miller and Houston.

If Cam Newton goes #1 it will show just how big of a joke the Panthers, and the leagues obsession with QBs, are. I'm not seeing a QB in this draft that should go any earler than in the 20s and if a team is picking in the 20s they probably don't need a QB. Buffalo and Carolina would be setting their teams back years considering the high price of top 5 picks, which is another reason that the Cards should trade back instead of reaching for Quinn.

No problem with taken the NEvada QB in the 2nd round. He's flashed a lot of potential and as long as he isn't thrown to the wolves too early I think he can be a good QB. Need a veteran backup to play infront of him for a few years though.

Dislike the Sheard pick for the simple reason that it's not really a need. I'd much rather take Greg Jones from MSU to play MLB than take a third pass rushing OLB, regardless of how important the position is. I know it's cliched but Jones reminds me of a Ray Lewis type. He was a huge difference maker at MSU.

Taking Jones means you don't need another ILB so you can take an OT. Lineman can be found later in the draft that can help right away. I think that James Carpenter from Alabama could be a huge step in improving the O-Line. Jason Pinkston might be another option here.

Clay pick is intriguing. He's fast and has good hands out of the backfield something that I don't think either of the Cards running backs do particularly well.

Don't know enough about the other two to comment, though I wouldn't mind closing my eyes and blindly selecting linemen on those two pickks.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch I give you credit for creativity. This is a different take then I have seen. Can you provide your take on what we would do in FA under this scenario?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Please keep churning these out.

Mitch's admirable mock count so far:

4 mocks before the senior bowl

6 mocks before the Super Bowl.

You are a machine.

Now as for this mock. This would make me very very angry if this happened.

#1 - You don't pass up Patrick Peterson. Why? See Terrell Suggs, and Adrian Peterson. DRC has a lot to prove as a player. He is not Deion Sanders, and his covering abilities to not make up for his lack of tackling. Greg Toler has the tools, but has not shown to be a quality starter yet. AJ Jefferson is a UDFA, and the last time this team relied on too many UDFA it was the beginning of 2010 and 2000. Do NOT draft for need, and reach on a guy like Quinn. If you want a pass rusher, just pick Von Miller, and be happy with him. Stop with this foolish, "he is too small" stuff. The guy is freak coming of the edge. But if Miller and Peterson are there ? You pick Peterson.

#2 - If Whiz and Grimm feel our offensive line is fine, and pass on a value pick that will be sitting there in the 2nd round, I can almost guarantee it. Then our QB, whomever it will be is a dead man, and running game is going to be as inneffective as is has been. IMO, continuity is overrated, and who care about keeping a line together that cannot get the job done ? I personally would go after Barksdale if he is there, and kick either Levi Brown or Brandon Keith to guard.

Again, reaching, and with Colin "Hype" Kaepernick it would be a HUGE reach. The kid will be there in the 3rd round I am sure of it. Furthermore, how many projects do we need at QB ?

I like that you DRAFT a FB and TE instead of the ridiculous UDFA's we bring in every year.

Speaking of UDFA's. If Skelton's brother doesn't get drafted, and I can't imagine the Cardinals not bringing him in. The guy has the measurables that is for sure.

Keep at it Mitch. This is awesome. I might make at Mitch Mighty Mock some day with all your mocks broken down per round.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
No O-Lineman in this draft is wince-worthy. If you give up 50 sacks in one season, improving the O-Line needs to be a big priority, regardless of the amount of times the opponent blitzed.

Quinn at #5 is a reach. If you want Quinn trade back and take him, or barring that take Patterson and instantly improve not only the defense but the return game. If Green, Miller, and Peterson are still on the board then Quinn will fall back, especially if Miller hasn't been taken yet. I still believe that Quinn will finish as the 3rd ranked rush backer behind Miller and Houston.

If Cam Newton goes #1 it will show just how big of a joke the Panthers, and the leagues obsession with QBs, are. I'm not seeing a QB in this draft that should go any earler than in the 20s and if a team is picking in the 20s they probably don't need a QB. Buffalo and Carolina would be setting their teams back years considering the high price of top 5 picks, which is another reason that the Cards should trade back instead of reaching for Quinn.

No problem with taken the NEvada QB in the 2nd round. He's flashed a lot of potential and as long as he isn't thrown to the wolves too early I think he can be a good QB. Need a veteran backup to play infront of him for a few years though.

Dislike the Sheard pick for the simple reason that it's not really a need. I'd much rather take Greg Jones from MSU to play MLB than take a third pass rushing OLB, regardless of how important the position is. I know it's cliched but Jones reminds me of a Ray Lewis type. He was a huge difference maker at MSU.

Taking Jones means you don't need another ILB so you can take an OT. Lineman can be found later in the draft that can help right away. I think that James Carpenter from Alabama could be a huge step in improving the O-Line. Jason Pinkston might be another option here.

Clay pick is intriguing. He's fast and has good hands out of the backfield something that I don't think either of the Cards running backs do particularly well.

Don't know enough about the other two to comment, though I wouldn't mind closing my eyes and blindly selecting linemen on those two pickks.

* I could be wrong...but I am getting the distinct impression that the coaches are fine with the players they already have on the offensive line and that they attribute the 50 sacks to a combination of constantly being behind, playing with 3 different QBs (2 rookies), and with the tackles playing their first year at those positions.

* Not sure why you think Quinn is a reach at #5...virtually every mock draft I've seen has him going in the top ten. It would seem that Quinn best fits Butler's criteria for 34 OLBers.

* I think that Cam Newton will wow the scouts in his workouts...and after watching Big Ben in the Super Bowl the thought of a big man in the pocket who is tough to bring down will be very appealing to prospective teams. Wherever Newton is taken, he will create the biggest buzz in this draft. Good for ticket sales and high hopes.

* Glad you see Kaepernick's value...and Rugby, I will guarantee you he will be one of the top 64 picks in the draft. I could very well see the Patriots using one of their 2nd rounders on him...and they may get creative with him and have him play some WR while they groom him as a QB.

* Sheard actually is a need pick when you think about the 4 man rush. We had Alan Branch playing LDE in the 4 man rush last year...that's how weird things were. With Sheard you can rush the passer with Quinn opposite him and Dockett and Campbell in the middle. Schofield wil be good in the five man fronts...but one has to question whether he can be an effective rusher at LDE in a four man rush.

* I think that Sheppard is a better mike LB prospect than Greg Jones...and thus a better fit for the Cardinals.

* I like Jason Pinkston a lot, ARodg, very good call there---and if Sheard is gone at #69, I certainly would advocate the pick.

* Clay might be snagged up earlier than people think. He's a fascinating prospect.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch I give you credit for creativity. This is a different take then I have seen. Can you provide your take on what we would do in FA under this scenario?

My other mocks, Reddog, were more of what I have been wishing rather than predicting what the Cardinals will do. This one---I tried to stick to what the Cardinals' coaches might be thinking.

Predicting the FAs the Cardinal coaches will covet:

QB:

1. Marc Bulger. I know...I don't like it either. But the coaches may.
2. Alex Smith. Better choice...but he may have ruffled a lot of feathers with his "get ahead of the Cardinals and they will fold" rhetoric before the season's finale. Then again...how right Smith was in that game...a game in which he played well.
3. Tarvaris Jackson. I believe there may be some interest in him. He played very well against us at U of P a few years ago. He throws a great fade pass and we have a great fade pass WR. There are other warts, obviously...but the QB scenario in Minnesota was a difficult one and Jackson may have been the biggest victim of it.
4. Troy Smith. Again, there may be some interest there, seeing as he played well in spots this past season and is still very young.

RB:

1. Mike Tolbert. Big back compliment to THT, BW and LSH.

WR:

1. Robert Meachem. If Breaston bolts.
2. Steve Smith (Giants). Knows how to get open.

TE:

1. Zach Miller. Would be a perfect fit.

T:

1. Jeremy Trueblood. Coming off injury...but has the talent.

C:

1. Ryan Kalil. Will likely get tagged. Young Pro Bowler.

G:

1. Logan Mankins. If he isn't tagged.

NT/DE:

1. Jay Alford. Could be soild backup and back up at times at DE.

ILB:

1. David Harris. No brainer...but likely stays with Jets.
2. D'Qwell Jackson. Cleveland connection.

OLB:

1. Kamerion Wimbley. Tried to trade for him last year.
2. Mathias Kiwanuka. Would be a great acquisition.

CB:

1. Eric Wright. Cleveland connection.
2. Richard Marshall. Will have lots of interest.

S:

1. Dashon Goldson. Cards need an open field intimidator...would love to pry him away from the 49ers.

Those are my guesses. I would be happy if we were able to sign 4 or 5 of these guys.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am still waiting for the Mitch Mock V Cam.O version with is taking a QB in the first. :)

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
* I could be wrong...but I am getting the distinct impression that the coaches are fine with the players they already have on the offensive line and that they attribute the 50 sacks to a combination of constantly being behind, playing with 3 different QBs (2 rookies), and with the tackles playing their first year at those positions.

* Not sure why you think Quinn is a reach at #5...virtually every mock draft I've seen has him going in the top ten. It would seem that Quinn best fits Butler's criteria for 34 OLBers.

* I think that Cam Newton will wow the scouts in his workouts...and after watching Big Ben in the Super Bowl the thought of a big man in the pocket who is tough to bring down will be very appealing to prospective teams. Wherever Newton is taken, he will create the biggest buzz in this draft. Good for ticket sales and high hopes.

* Glad you see Kaepernick's value...and Rugby, I will guarantee you he will be one of the top 64 picks in the draft. I could very well see the Patriots using one of their 2nd rounders on him...and they may get creative with him and have him play some WR while they groom him as a QB.

* Sheard actually is a need pick when you think about the 4 man rush. We had Alan Branch playing LDE in the 4 man rush last year...that's how weird things were. With Sheard you can rush the passer with Quinn opposite him and Dockett and Campbell in the middle. Schofield wil be good in the five man fronts...but one has to question whether he can be an effective rusher at LDE in a four man rush.

* I think that Sheppard is a better mike LB prospect than Greg Jones...and thus a better fit for the Cardinals.

* I like Jason Pinkston a lot, ARodg, very good call there---and if Sheard is gone at #69, I certainly would advocate the pick.

* Clay might be snagged up earlier than people think. He's a fascinating prospect.

The Coaching staff can't be fine with the O-Line, they just can't think that 50 (no matter how inflated) sacks is acceptable. When you consider that Faneca may retire and Lutui's contract situatiion is up in the air, it'd be criminal to not try and improve the O-Line through the draft.

I think a 4 man rush of Campbell, Williams, Docket, Branch is just fine, so I'm really not feeling the need to bump that up all that much. If you back that up with some decent Backers that's a good looking D-Line IMO.

I know that Jones didn't really impress people at the Senior Bowl, but watching him on film he was excellent at filling the hole and making plays. His range was from sideline to sideline, he did a good job covering Kendricks and the other TEs in the Big 10, he was outstanding at taking on blockers, and he was quick to the QB when MSU decided to send him on a blitz. To me anyway Jones is the best MLB prospect in the draft and I expect his stock to rise significantly as people watch more film of him and he impresses at the Combine.

I don't think Clay will get snapped up that early. Teams put a relatively low importance on RBs in the draft, and for him to be an effective 3rd down back he's going to have to learn how to block which is something that I understands he doesn't do well. He's being taken in the 100's for a reason.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Coaching staff can't be fine with the O-Line, they just can't think that 50 (no matter how inflated) sacks is acceptable. When you consider that Faneca may retire and Lutui's contract situatiion is up in the air, it'd be criminal to not try and improve the O-Line through the draft.

I think a 4 man rush of Campbell, Williams, Docket, Branch is just fine, so I'm really not feeling the need to bump that up all that much. If you back that up with some decent Backers that's a good looking D-Line IMO.
Good stuff. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Please keep churning these out.

Mitch's admirable mock count so far:

4 mocks before the senior bowl

6 mocks before the Super Bowl.

You are a machine.

Now as for this mock. This would make me very very angry if this happened.

#1 - You don't pass up Patrick Peterson. Why? See Terrell Suggs, and Adrian Peterson. DRC has a lot to prove as a player. He is not Deion Sanders, and his covering abilities to not make up for his lack of tackling. Greg Toler has the tools, but has not shown to be a quality starter yet. AJ Jefferson is a UDFA, and the last time this team relied on too many UDFA it was the beginning of 2010 and 2000. Do NOT draft for need, and reach on a guy like Quinn. If you want a pass rusher, just pick Von Miller, and be happy with him. Stop with this foolish, "he is too small" stuff. The guy is freak coming of the edge. But if Miller and Peterson are there ? You pick Peterson.

#2 - If Whiz and Grimm feel our offensive line is fine, and pass on a value pick that will be sitting there in the 2nd round, I can almost guarantee it. Then our QB, whomever it will be is a dead man, and running game is going to be as inneffective as is has been. IMO, continuity is overrated, and who care about keeping a line together that cannot get the job done ? I personally would go after Barksdale if he is there, and kick either Levi Brown or Brandon Keith to guard.

Again, reaching, and with Colin "Hype" Kaepernick it would be a HUGE reach. The kid will be there in the 3rd round I am sure of it. Furthermore, how many projects do we need at QB ?

I like that you DRAFT a FB and TE instead of the ridiculous UDFA's we bring in every year.

Speaking of UDFA's. If Skelton's brother doesn't get drafted, and I can't imagine the Cardinals not bringing him in. The guy has the measurables that is for sure.

Keep at it Mitch. This is awesome. I might make at Mitch Mighty Mock some day with all your mocks broken down per round.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Rugby. I hope these mock don't get redundant or boring. But...there are numerous scenarios to ponder...

Everone loves Peterson, Rugby and if the Cardinals take him, no one should be disappointed.

However....the potential lockout puts teams in much more of a position to have to draft for need, because they could get shut out if and when free agency starts.

I would totally agree with you if let's say we were able to sign Kamerion Wimbley prior to the draft.

But when you can't and you don't know if he will sign with you...it behooves you to take the best edge rusher you can.

Without the edge rushing threat...the CB play will continue to suffer, no matter who is playing CB.

You, Gary, all of ASFN and I can argue all we want about how much of a priority the o-line should be...but...indications are that Whiz wants to keep last year's unit intact and feels that the continuity will bring rewards.

And as I said in my follow up post to ARodg...Kaepernick will go in the first 64 picks...I will guarantee it. He's the #5 rated QB in Mel's rankings and Mayock loves the kid's potential. Thus, it's not a secret that there is real and genuine intrigue in his prospects.

For you Rugby...here's what I would want:

Trade down from #5 and add a 3rd and a 5th rounder.

1. Justin Houston, OLB/DE, Georgia
2. Phil Taylor, NT/DT, Baylor
3. Jason Pinkston, T, Pittsburgh
3. Nate Irving, ILB, North Carolina St.
4. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
5. Clint Boling, G, Georgia
5. Chase Beeler, C, Stanford
6. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada
6. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho

I am still very high on John Skelton as the young QB to groom for the future....so I really don't need a QB in this draft...especially knowing we will be signing a veteran to start.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting and good work as usual. You are making the off-season (for Cardinals) fun.l

I don't think Newton will go number one but I've been wrong before and who knows. Regardless, Quinn should be there when we pick. His weigh-in and workout at the Combine will be critical for him as he missed the entire season.
I would prefer to take Kaepernick in the third round but unfortunately don't think he will be there when we pick. I don't see us taking 3 lbs in the draft and feel that we would take another OL. I would love Moffitt the C/G from Wisconsin in the 3rd but again he may not be there.

I sure hope that we are active and spend money during free agency but am not going to hold my breath.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i give you mine
1-von miller
2-nate irving
3-orlando franklin
4-lance handriicks
5-van dyke
6-roy helu jr
6 b-joe legefed

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, if your right about Buffalo going with a QB, it seems to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick trade would be a great fit. Look, that would give you two very smart QB's, actually three, considering how well Max Hall understands x's and O's. Fitzpatrick is just beginning to hit his stride as a NFL QB. Tell me Whiz is not going to like to work with three very smart QB's. My question to you is what round pick do you think Buffalo would want for Fitzpatrick?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, if your right about Buffalo going with a QB, it seems to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick trade would be a great fit. Look, that would give you two very smart QB's, actually three, considering how well Max Hall understands x's and O's. Fitzpatrick is just beginning to hit his stride as a NFL QB. Tell me Whiz is not going to like to work with three very smart QB's. My question to you is what round pick do you think Buffalo would want for Fitzpatrick?

I am not so sure they would trade Fitzpatrick, joko4...at least not while Gabbert is a rookie.

At this point the most they could hope to get for Fitzpatrick is a 4th I would imagine.

That said, I think you've pegged a good option for the Cardinals. Good thought.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple of points...

I think that you are over evaluating the quality of QB's in this draft a bit. While Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Mallett, and Keapernick all have potential, I think we are moving them higher than they really rank as prospects in a very strong defensive draft. Gabbert is probably the only QB that I see going in the top 10, followed by Newton, Mallett and Locker being taken between the mid first and mid second rounds. Unless Keapernick shows a bunch more that the combine, pencil him in as a 3rd rounder at best.

You are right to not sleep on Clay. Guy offers so many options especially on third downs, that he could be a great weapon. His draftability most likely hinges no his ability to play as a FB, but as an athlete he has so much more to offer. He reminds me bit of Marcel Reese.

While you may think that Whiz doesn't view the offensive line as a priority, I doubt it. With so many potential free agents in Sendlein and Lutui and a retiring Faneca, we have holes that need to be addressed. Maybe not in the 2nd round, but it will be tough to pass on the value that should be there.

Chopper Mock
1-Patrick Peterson - CB
2-Brooks Reed - OLB
3-John Moffitt - OG/C
4-Nate Irving - ILB
5-Sione Fua - NT
6a-Charles Clay - FB/HB
6b-Jeff Maehl - WR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members