Mickelson's wife has breast cancer (AP)

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil Mickelson's wife, Amy, has been diagnosed with breast cancer, and the three-time major champion says he will suspend his PGA Tour schedule indefinitely. Mickelson's management company says Amy Mickelson will begin treatment with major surgery as early as the next two weeks. They were married in 1996 and have three children.

More...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Best of luck to Amy and Phil... Thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
Missy Farr's experience will be great resource for Phil and Amy Mickelson

By Dottie Pepper
Published: May 26, 2009

One of Phil Mickelson's good friends at Arizona State was Missy Farr, whose sister, Heather, was then a rising star on the LPGA. That relationship will help now that Phil's wife, Amy, has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

When Heather fell ill at 23, she was thought to be too young to have breast cancer, and so her condition was misdiagnosed for months. The cancer spread, and after at least 15 surgeries over 4 1/2 years, she lost her battle. But the Farr family wasn't done. At 30, Missy, too, found out that she had breast cancer.
Doctors have told the Farrs that the lessons learned from Heather's treatment have helped save many lives, including Missy's; on two occasions Missy opted for radical and aggressive treatments.

After her first mastectomy, Phil and a few other college friends visited her. Some didn't know how to handle the situation, but Phil wanted to know all the details — everything he could possibly learn. I imagine the information he soaked up then will be a great resource for him and Amy now.

Phil also designated his 1994 Presidents Cup charity allotment to buy the life-sized statue of Heather that stands near the 10th tee at Arizona State's home course. It's a tribute to a woman who helped the world realize that breast cancer respects no age and that there's no substitute for early detection. Heather Farr had (and Missy has) an outlook similar to Amy's — cheerful, outgoing and upbeat. We all hope that such an attitude and the lessons learned from Heather's fight will save Amy and many others.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great News here... Hope things continue to go in a positive direction for Amy.

:thumbup:

Mickelson plans to return in time for US Open
By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer

DUBLIN, Ohio (AP)—Phil Mickelson plans a brief return to the PGA Tour in time for the U.S. Open.
He has not played since announcing that his wife, Amy, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Recent tests have given them hope the cancer has been caught early, with more testing over the next month.
Mickelson intends to play the St. Jude Championship next week in Memphis, Tenn., then compete the following week in the U.S. Open at Bethpage Black, according to a person informed of the plans.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because Mickelson had not announced his decision.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was cool seeing all the PGA golfers, caddies, and a lot of the gallery wearing pink on Saturday in Amy's honor

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to hear the good news regarding Amy. Hopefully Lefty can finally win his first US Open this year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Glad to hear the good news regarding Amy. Hopefully Lefty can finally win his first US Open this year.

He is a HUGE crowd favorite in NY. The last time the Open was held at Bethpage, the support for Phil dwarfed that of anyone else - including Tiger.
Now, with what he is going thru with Amy, I can't even imagine how loud it will be for him... There could be no better place and time for him to pull this off but this year at Bethpage Black! I am a HUGE Tiger fan, but this story would be just too perfect.
Make it happen Phil!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a HUGE crowd favorite in NY. The last time the Open was held at Bethpage, the support for Phil dwarfed that of anyone else - including Tiger.
Now, with what he is going thru with Amy, I can't even imagine how loud it will be for him... There could be no better place and time for him to pull this off but this year at Bethpage Black! I am a HUGE Tiger fan, but this story would be just too perfect.
Make it happen Phil!

I'm from New York/New Jersey and was visiting family in 2004 when the US Open was played at Shinnecock Hills. My brother-in-law had tickets for the first round and we followed Phil for a good part. The crowd was more behind Phil than anyone, even Tiger. It was an experience I definitely won't forget.

It will be interesting if Amy will be able to attend. I think if she is there with the public support, that should be good for a couple of shots. I just hope the greens are not like they were on that Sunday in 2004. That was too ridiculous.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm from New York/New Jersey and was visiting family in 2004 when the US Open was played at Shinnecock Hills. My brother-in-law had tickets for the first round and we followed Phil for a good part. The crowd was more behind Phil than anyone, even Tiger. It was an experience I definitely won't forget.

It will be interesting if Amy will be able to attend. I think if she is there with the public support, that should be good for a couple of shots. I just hope the greens are not like they were on that Sunday in 2004. That was too ridiculous.

I read today that Amy is supposed to have surgery later this month - could be around Fathers Day which of course, is Sunday of the US Open, so chances are she won't be there...
As for the greens - Bethpage doesn't come close to Shinnecock with regard to the speed of the greens (few do really). Not that the greens at Bethpage are a walk in the park - but Shinnecock is a true links course, stuck out on the end of Long Island where the sea, sun and wind bake those greens and make them hard as runways...

What part of NY/NJ are you from? I'm from Fairfield County Connecticut - moved out here in 2001...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow... Phil has certainly been dealt his share of challenge...

Mickelson's mother diagnosed with breast cancer

Published: July 07, 2009

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Six weeks after Phil Mickelson announced his wife had breast cancer, his mother was diagnosed with the disease and is to have surgery later this week.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported on its Web site that Mary Mickelson discovered she had breast cancer last week. She is to have surgery Friday at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, the same hospital where Mickelson's wife, Amy, had surgery last Wednesday.

Mickelson's sister, Tina, told the newspaper she wanted to make her mother's condition know so she could receive the same outpouring of support and prayers that meant so much to Amy Mickelson.
Mickelson has not spoken publicly since the U.S. Open where he was a runner-up for a record fifth time.

His parents live in the same San Diego house where they raised their three children. Mary Mickelson was honored in 1998 as ``Mother of the Year'' by the San Diego chapter of the March of Dimes. She said at the time, ``I don't know if I've done anything extra than other mothers. We've always been involved and have just been there.''

Mickelson said at Bethpage Black that it was ``highly unlikely'' he would play the British Open, and said his schedule the rest of the year depended on his wife's battle with cancer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn